Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's happened! While browsing the before and afters, Dan said to me: "Maybe I should give the lapband a try."

I'm sure I've heard of Nova Scotians having it covered (even just the surgery, not the band itself?), but is it only with Dr. Beausoleil, and you must wait years? Or can you go to a private clinic and have it paid for?

Please someone's gotta know?

Thanks in advance,

Mandi

Yes you can have it done privately. two websites to look into are the SWLC in Toronto and the TLBC in Toronto. Both excellent clinics. They are the leading clinics and TLBC Dr. Yau was one of the doctors that introduced the band to Canada. Research the aftercare carefully. That is what should be one of your most diligent research areas.

Mandi so far the only people who have posted here (to my knowledge) have used either SWLC or TLBC. Why not contact the NS gov't on Monday and see if you can find something about bariatric surgeries in NS and what is covered. Likely he is looking at a long wait if it is indeed publicly funded. If you went the private route, you know what you will be looking at - financing issues, and fill challenges - but you did it, so maybe it is Dan's turn...Good luck with the fact finding.

Cindy

Whoah, Doddie, hun, it's me! I've been there, done that. I'm asking he can have it done in a private clinic and have the province pay for it.

The wait for Moncton IS like 5 years, so yeah... that's not happening.

I will definitely contact the province and see what they say. I'm just hoping there's someone here who's gone through it. (I posted on a few other boards, so hopefully I'll find someone)

Mandi,

There's a chick on OH lap-band board that had it done by Beausoleil and I read she paid $4500 but she has never mentioned how long she had to wait. Perhaps you can look for her on OH, her username is Krista C. I believe. I just checked out her profile on OH and she's from NB not NS but did use Beausoleil. I am pretty sure there is a yahoo bandster group for Maritimers. You might want to check them out and find out from them if it's covered in NS as well as NB.

Edited by so done with it all

LOL Argon. Thought you had a spell of "can't remember". Seriously, I would be surprised if Nova Scotia or NB have a program to pay for bands. I correspond with a lady from Halifax and she told me there was no one. Be interested to find out for sure.

Doddie, it is covered in NB. It's like it is in Quebec, all you do is pay for the band itself so around the $5k mark. My friend was done in NB years ago by Beausoleil before the waiting list became unreal. I read of one going to him now through the NB healthcare program and they have to wait 4 years or something insane like that.

Folks New Brunswick health care now pays for the band ...yes I said the band. That is right from Dr Beausoliel himself. At my last appointment he told methis. Now this is only as of the first of April that the government in NB has inplimented this. Dr. B to my knowledge is still the only surgeon doing WLS in the MAritime provinces. Peace out....Sherry

Hello there I am new to this forum .. I have talked to MSI and they told me as long as the doctor sends in report for the lap band surgery its all paid for ..I live in Kingston Nova Scotia .. and when I have it it will be done at the clinic in toronto..It will be all paid ... hope that helps anyone who is thinking of having it done also ... Anyone out there from my area ?.... annie55:smile:

Annie55, to my knowledge Msi only pays for the procedure they do not cover the band yet. New Brunswick does now but I have not heard that the NS government has gotten on board yet. I was banded 1 year ago , I am a Nova Scotian and I paid for the band myself. Now, with that said unless something has happened very recently, I would love to know about it. Sherrylynn

I finally got medicare approval sometime after Nov.07 and I saw Dr. B. on Nov.20 /08. and now I am going for my 8 hour info session on tuesday dec.2. I may get my band as soon as 3 or 4 months from now. The only cost to me will be staying in Moncton overnight. Something must have happened to the waiting list because when I called Dr. B.'s office in 06, I was told there was a 7 to 10 year waiting list.

Hello there ... yes it is payed if the doctor says you meet the requirements .. I was talking directly to MSI and she told me that its ok to have it done in toronto and also she knows its 16000 ... so I am very excited !!!! yippie!

Hi Inuit, My name is Pearl and am so excited to talk with you. Am new on here as of today, I saw Dr. B in 2005 and at that time cost was just under 5000. It wasn't covered then. Is it Dr. B's referral or my family Dr's referral that is needed by M.S.I. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello ..its your doctor that has to send in letter To MSI then it does not take long ..however if you have it done in nova scotia or new brunswick it takes longer I hear .. That is why i will have it done in toronto .. less wait .. hope that helps ...annie

In order for medicare to approve you for coverage, you must have comorbidities. For example, diabetes,cardiac issues, arthritis aggrivated by weight, sleep apnea, joint degeneration, uncontrolled hypertension and there are others that I can't think of now. If you qualify, medicare pays for everything. Surgery, band, followup, fills ect. If you do not medically qualify, you pay yourself.

I was referred to an endocrinologist by my family doctor back in 06 and he wrote to medicare requesting weight loss surgery but because at that time I had no comorbidities, medicare refused me coverage. Shortly after that I developed diabetes and had a heart attack so my endocrinologist appealed to medicare and this time they approved it. I saw Dr B. Nov.20, had my all day info session on Dec 2 and now am waiting for the call to sign consent forms. This time next year, barring flood or famine, I will be banded and hopefully on my way to better health. Hope this info helps.