Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've lost my ever loving mind!

So, back in high school, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I played soccer. Pretty intensely, like not just for the school. I played on city league in the fall, school in the spring, and indoor in between. Of course, that was four score and 600 pounds ago. I haven't played since then.

Now, my soccer life revolves around coaching 8 year olds and being frustrated on the sidelines. I like to lament that I can't play because I'm fat and I'm fat because I can't play. Of course that's not true, but I like my excuses.

Anyway, today I had a (photography) client dad that said he plays on the over 35 rec league. He was probably 2 of me and somehow I managed to say "they take fatties?" in a way that didn't offend him (I must have a way with words). He said no, it was fine, they are very laid back, etc.

Fast forward an entire hour and I'm on the soccer field coaching my daughter. The other coach also plays on an adult league but he's like super intense and scary. I told him I was considering taking it up again and he got all excited and told me that his team is co-ed, they're definitely looking for more women and the game is Saturday at 5.

Um... what the hell did I just agree to??? He could plainly see I'm not in shape, so I guess that's not an issue, but holy crap. I'm going to need to run - without a bear chasing me for motivation.

oh my.

No, I think that is the first step to gaining a sense of normalcy for your life. If the other coach didn't even blink while asking you to come play, the he must believe you can do it. Now, you need to believe.

That is great, I'm so happy for you!

Go for it! I bet you will be surprised at how good you do, especially after such an awesome weight loss. Some things stay with you. I did competitive gymnastics and alot of dance while younger and my stretching ability is still amazing, especially for weighing as much as I do.

That is exciting! You are going to hurt like a mother.....afterwards!! But you will have fun and it will be so good for you!!

You are brave and I am jealous. Any sort of organized sport event causes me to flashback to junior high and the horror of 1) my chubby white thighs sticking out of mustard yellow gym shorts, and 2) always being the last person picked for a team due to my tendancy to run AWAY from balls instead of toward them.

You rock - and I'm sure the exercise will be great. Let us know how it goes!

I predict this will be your new addiction!! I think you will reconnect with something that brings out the best in you and you will thrive!! Good for you!! Let us know what happens after the game.

-Amy

Go Gal

I to have been dabbling with the idea of playing netball When I lose the weight,maybe I'll look into it now.

Let us know how it goes.

Nicole

That is great! Imagine how much that will help in your weightloss! Good for you. I am with Becca....the thought of sports brings back nightmares! I did run track for 2 yrs but at 5ft 2in tall, I was terrible at it!

i think it's FANTASTIC!!

i started playing soccer @ age 7, and played all the way thru college. loved it. i just signed up to play on an over 40 mens league & can't wait till the first game....congrats to you!!

You are gonna do great! You just might surprise yourself!! Good luck and have fun!

~C

I agree with everyone else. I think you are going to become totally addicted to playing again and they'll have to drag you off the field.

I took the step back in to sports 4 weeks after my surgery. I play co ed softball on a league where I work. I told everyone when we signed up that I did not run, I could hit, but running was not going to be part of the deal. Well, as you know if you hit the ball you have to run to the bases. We have games every Thursday evening and I almost crawl to work on Friday, but I love every minute of it. I'm even going to join the womens volleyball league that starts up after softball season. Volleyball is my to die for sport so here goes.

Good luck and go get 'em.

I did it!!!

I showed up tonight figuring on telling them I'd try it for a few minutes to see how I do. It's a co-ed team and some of those guys are really big and GOOD.

However, it didn't work out that way. They play 4 girls and 4 guys on the field and at game start there were only 4 girls there, including me. So I had to START. EEEK! I played about 25 minutes before someone came and subbed me out.

Out of 80 minutes, I probably ended up playing about 70 of them. Running almost the entire time, up and down up and down. I do NOT run. I have not run in YEARS. Like... 20 of them!! I'm as stubborn and competitive as I am out of shape, though, so I think it all worked out. I didn't do anything remarkably good, but I didn't do anything atrociously bad, either. And I didn't die of a heart attack, have an asthma attack, break a bone, or die. So I consider it a success. LOL

I will DEFINITELY be doing it again! It was soo fun!!! I highly recommend it. There were girls out there (not on my team but on the other) way bigger than me, so that made me feel a little better, too. :woot:

I'm going to be SORE tomorrow though! LOL