Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some advice on what to eat

Hello everyone my name is Nickie I was banded on March 21,08 and have lost 23.6lbs as of last Fri. and I will be getting my first fill on Wed. May 7th and what I need some help with is what should I be eatting I know somewhat what to eat but I am trying to stay low carb and I hope that is what I should be doing if not plez let me know what you are doing and what you are eatting.

i am NOT yet banded, but my nutritionist has me eating some stuff to get ready...

i make power Protein milk, (8oz milk 1/3 cup of dry milk mixed=16gms) and for bfast i add 1 sugar free instant bfast...that is 23 gms of protein in 8oz..

she suggested that the power protein milk can be added to anything that calls for milk to up the protein...things like creamed Soups, mashed potatoes, puddings..

also cottage cheese is good...and ricotta cheese (there is a recipe called "fake lasagna" that is very good...

scrambled eggs....refried lowfat Beans with a bit of cheese on them and salsa...

those are somethings that i have tried..

Thank you both for your reply I have eatten all of the food that was listed on that last post now what I am trying to do is eat healthier the problem is that I was on a diet all of last year see I did not find out untill Feb 7,08 that my insurance even covered it I was trying to lose the weight on my own and ever since then my body is so sick of salads, and vegs. but I do want to eat right I do want to lose the weight how do I get my body out of this mode and what are some ideas of what I can eat.:confused2::confused2::confused2:

I was banded on 3/31--was still in the puree stage , untill today I ate half a chicken cutlet today for lunch diced very fine...I chewed and chewed until I got tired. I havent had my first fill yet but I stop myself at about 4oz at a time. I eat scrambled egg beaters and alot of mashed potatoes.but I want to start to get more Protein in like chicken adn tuna. Anyone have any suggestions ????

Yes if you can stand to eat this it has alot of Protein in it even though I am on solids I put it in the blender to mix it up really well I drain a whole can of tuna put it in my blender with 1 TBSP mayo and some dill relish I eat this a good bit b/c 1 can of tuna is 28 grams of protein and it makes you full as one meal I also eat a boiled egg with it with gives you a total of 34 grams of protein with is great bc I can not tolerate the Protein Shakes I can barley take cough Syrup with out getting sick so my dr. told me that as long as I was doing what I am doing that would be good enough and it was ok with out the nasty shakes and since the surgery my hair feels even healthier I don't think I was getting enough protein to begin with I wish you all the best and I thank you for replying.

I'm not banded yet either (I see the surgeon next Tuesday) but had a dilemma yesterday that maybe someone can help me with. I attended a luncheon and on the menu was chicken salad on a croissant (I'm vegetarian so I steered clear of this totally), cheese straws, potato chips, fruit (2 strawberries and a handful of grapes), and pound cake. This is an annual luncheon so I hope to go next year (maybe there will be a more varied menu) and hope to be banded and maybe near goal by then. Does anyone have any suggestions for a portable lunch I could take with me and be somewhat inconspicuous in these kinds of situations? I'm not sure how Granola bars will do and I can't think of any other options. Thanks in advance for any help any of you can provide me.

Can anyone tell me about diet soda? Are we allowed it or not? I am really craving and missing my diet soda!

You may drink carbonated pop, however, either one tiny sip at a time or let the carbonation out. if you drink it normal it will blow up in your pouch and become very painful. Coming from Diet Coke obsessor, I suggest foregoing the pop altogether. That way you have no worries.

Well I understand where you are coming from I am a substitue teacher and do not like to eat in front of people but since the surgery I carry tuna salad with 2-3 small thin slices of cheddar cheese this has alot of Protein in it but being a veg. I am not forsure what to tell you b/c one thing you will need to do is try to get in the protein that is needed and you may be able to drink the Protein Shakes but I can't they make me sick and I can't stand any of the powder to put in your food even the non flavor just carry you a salad I am sorry I am not help at this one but I wish you the best in the world I weighed in today and have lost 27lbs and have been banded for 6wks as of today I feel so much better whoo hooo!!!

I was banded on March 10th, and I eat any healthy foods that I want. I eat the boneless chicken breasts, salads, lots of Flounder, tuna....Pretty much anything I want...Just make sure you chew! But so far, I haven't had a problem with any foods. I get my first fill on Tuesday and I have lost 22 pounds.

Thanks, Keepinfaith and New Diva 2008. The Water and Protein Shake sound like it might be my best bet. I have found several vegetarian/vegan Protein Drinks and thought about mixing them with soymilk (which isn't real portable if you want it cold) but water would work with some of them. I also found a self stirring mug that I hope will be a great portable alternative to a blender.

Hi Keepinfaith:

I am also an Alabamian! Where are you in Alabama?

I was banded in February. You should be eating mostly softer

meats, turkey lunchmeat, or cooked chicken either grilled, or

baked. Also you can have canned tuna. All in moderation.

Not more than 2 oz. I have been fixing stewed veggies. Only

a couple of tablespoons along with your meat. Remember to

eat your Protein first.

I don't eat many carbs. No bread at all!

Remember not to drink with your meals, or drink afterwards

for at least 1 hr.

I have lost 33 lbs. since my banding.

After your fill, you will notice a huge difference. Your hunger

will go away! You will feel much fuller than before. It's like

do I ever get hungry?

I wish you well, let me know how you do!

Fello Alabamian

Judie