Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PBing vs. Vomiting

I have a 4cc band...my first fill was 1.3cc and I lost 62.9lbs., and I had no complications. No vomiting or PBing...not as much restriction...but no problems. Well I got the bright idea to have a second fill and the doctor gave me another 1.8cc. and for the most part I PB/vomit everything up. Some days I can eat slow but regular(chicken, salad) but most of the time I can't keep Water down or a protien shake down.

What do you think is the problem???? I think I have eaten two actual meals in the last two weeks, I am not hungery, but i would like to keep something down. I can't even keep my liquid vitamins down.

PLUS I am not sure if I am PBing or vomiting. PBing I am not concerned about vomiting worries me as that can cause port and band complications.

WHOEVER HAS BEEN HERE PLEASE REPLY...I am kinda miserable...but kinda not...if that is possible.

I just pray I don't need an unfill as my doctor is in Texas and I am in NYC...ugggg!!!:rolleyes:

i think you need an unfill, if you cannot even keep your liquid Vitamins down, that is a really bad sign. i mean, two meals in two weeks, that is no way to live.

you need an unfil, imho, but probably not ALL of it, just some.

if you have pb'd before you will know the difference between it and vomiting. i have done both. a pb, is just literally a burp with food, sometimes it hurts, sometimes it doesn't. when you throw up, you do the same wretching and stomach contractions that you do before. in me it is WAY worse than throwing up pre band because it takes even longer for my body to "work" the food up past the band. so, there is a lot of heavin before any production, but it comes eventually.

throwing up is bad, but sometimes it is unpreventable.

Here is an excerpt from some advice I've posted before:

Sounds like a PB, especially if there was pain involved. It is like throwing up in the sense of the wretching, the noises you make, etc. It is not like vomitting in the sense of what comes out and where it comes from.

What you brought up - was it burning, acidy and smelly like when you vomit? Or was it more "slimy" - saliva, thick, with perhaps some small pieces of recently-swallowed food?

Vomiting involves stomach contents, so you get all that acid and partially digested food (usually, not always). PBing involves thich mucusy saliva and possibly whatever was stuck and/or whatever you've swallowed since.

[...]

And another:

When you "throw up" what comes up? What you describe sounds more like "PBing" than "vomitting" -- so get detailed because advice will change depending on which you're experiecing.

When you throw up, is it as though the contents of your stomach are coming up? E.g. is there acid, food from yesterday, etc? (If "yes" then you need to log off and call your surgeon)

Or is it bits of whatever you're currently eating along with some saliva and maybe really thick "mucus" stuff, and quite possibly a good deal of abdominal/band-area discomfort? (If yes, then continue reading)

Gulping Water while banded -- why are you even doing that? The "pouch" can only hold so much. Anything it can't hold that won't pass quick enough comes out the other end, aka your mouth. So if gulping Water causes you to bring the water back up, that seems like a pretty easy "stop gulping"... no?

Since it comes so suddenly after food I'm thinking PB which means 1) you're too tight or 2) you're eating too much or 3) you're eating too fast or 4) you aren't chewing well enough or 5) you're trying to swallow too much at once or 6) any combination of the above.

Post more info and we can help if that's the case. If it's not and you're truly VOMITTING then you need to seek medical care and most likely an antiemitic, if you don't have one on hand.

I think a slight unfill is in order. It probably will not get better on its own . . . and there is no reason to stay miserable. It isn't kind to your band to stay to tight . . . which is never worth risking.

I have a 4cc band...my first fill was 1.3cc and I lost 62.9lbs., and I had no complications. No vomiting or PBing...not as much restriction...but no problems. Well I got the bright idea to have a second fill and the doctor gave me another 1.8cc. and for the most part I PB/vomit everything up. Some days I can eat slow but regular(chicken, salad) but most of the time I can't keep Water down or a protien shake down.

What do you think is the problem???? I think I have eaten two actual meals in the last two weeks, I am not hungery, but i would like to keep something down. I can't even keep my liquid Vitamins down.

PLUS I am not sure if I am PBing or vomiting. PBing I am not concerned about vomiting worries me as that can cause port and band complications.

WHOEVER HAS BEEN HERE PLEASE REPLY...I am kinda miserable...but kinda not...if that is possible.

I just pray I don't need an unfill as my doctor is in Texas and I am in NYC...ugggg!!!:rolleyes:

I'm no doc - but to me it sounds like you are too tight. Being too tight can cause problems too - There are no Fill Centers in NYC that you can go to - to have some taken out.

My last fill was 1 cc and I had to go back and have .08 taken out - I could barely drink Water.

I would ck into Fill Centers or call some local doctors to see if they will take you - This was the main reason I chose a local doctor - now if I ever move - I know I am going to have a problem - for some reason other Doc's don't like taking other Doc's patients - Thankfully I don't think I am moving anytime soon (really never :))

Good Luck ..

You need an unfill. Iguess they gave you so much because of the distance you travel. Most only get a little at a time when getting follow-up fills. Isn't there ianyone there that could take out a smidge? Can't believe you got so much. don' risk being too tight for too long. You need the nutrition. How long since you got that fill? pb, usually just comes up and out. Vomiting, you will contract and heave. NOT good for your band. Vomiting may make you slip.

Hehe, sorry, I focused on on the whole pb/vomit thing. If you can't keep liquids down for more than a day, you need to get an unfill. Sometimes I can't keep liquids down and it's nothing more than being too tight in the a.m., hence the "more than a day". Sometimes we'll just get that tight, but we shouldn't stay that tight.

Iwould suggset going back to your previous fill level for a few weeks, say 2, to give your band area a chance to heal and lose the swelling. Then if you still feel you need more fill, perhaps start by quartering the difference and go up a quarter each time from there. It's much more convenient to need more fill, than have to much.

Have you looked for someone closer to do your fills? That may be a way to go.

I got a fill yesterday, 2nd one and spent a miserable night. I couldn't swallow, had to keep spitting and threw up a couple of times, phlegm. I called the physicians assistant in the am and he met me at the hospital where he was and unfilled it back to where I was since he wants the swelling to go down. He said "you are now one of the 1/2 cc club members, he also said instant inflammation syndrome, haven't heard of that one. I am doing o.k. eating less food so not too big a problem, but I don't want to go through that night again.

He originally started with putting 3 cc's nothing went down so he took 1 1/2 out and that obviously didn't work, so with the damage done out it came. I guess I'm on cold liquids for a couple of days to get the swelling down.

any thoughts?:blushing:

I got a fill yesterday, 2nd one and spent a miserable night. I couldn't swallow, had to keep spitting and threw up a couple of times, phlegm. I called the physicians assistant in the am and he met me at the hospital where he was and unfilled it back to where I was since he wants the swelling to go down. He said "you are now one of the 1/2 cc club members, he also said instant inflammation syndrome, haven't heard of that one. I am doing o.k. eating less food so not too big a problem, but I don't want to go through that night again.

He originally started with putting 3 cc's nothing went down so he took 1 1/2 out and that obviously didn't work, so with the damage done out it came. I guess I'm on cold liquids for a couple of days to get the swelling down.

any thoughts?:smile2:

Think you are doing it just as you should - liquids for a couple of days then slowly reintroduce mushie/soft food - Ice chips are good too..

I received my lap band on 2/4/08. My first fill six weeks later... all was good. Decided on a 2nd fill and I'm miserable. I made the mistake of trying a few very small, very well chewed pieces of steak and I've been a mess since.

I went to the doctor on Monday because I can't get Water down. He removed the 2nd fill, but there hasn't been a great deal of improvment since. He wants to do an upper GI tomorrow... and I'd rather die!

I feel as though a baseball is stuck in my pouch. I have reflux after drinking even Water. I've been unable to drink enough water to sustain myself, so I might be giving in to the upper GI tomorrow.

I'm so glad that you wrote. Sometimes it's easy to feel as if I'm the only one going through misery right now.

Think you are doing it just as you should - liquids for a couple of days then slowly reintroduce mushie/soft food - Ice chips are good too..

Thank you sooooo much.....I have followed your advise...THANK you. I think I was feeling a little desperate...I have also restricted milk which caused me mucus and ice cold drinks which tightens my bans and NOW I am doing fine...THANK GOD!!!! I guess I just need to work with the tool instead of against it. FYI I am down 75POUNDS and of today....and THANK GOD for that tooooo!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much.....I have followed your advise...THANK you. I think I was feeling a little desperate...I have also restricted milk which caused me mucus and ice cold drinks which tightens my bans and NOW I am doing fine...THANK GOD!!!! I guess I just need to work with the tool instead of against it. FYI I am down 75POUNDS and of today....and THANK GOD for that tooooo!!!!!!

Glad to help and glad to hear you are doing better.

Yep it's so hard to break old habits - I will still take that extra bite that I know I don't need or really want and I know if I sallow it I will pb - so most time i spit it out I know tmi :cursing:

Congrats on the 75lb !!!!!

I've not been back online because I get depressed when everyone seems to lose weight and I haven't lost one lb in 10 months. I have been eating badly and not exercising, so I know it is my own fault. I eat candy because it goes down much better than food. I cannot eat bread or meat, and I miss those really badly. I am having a knee replacement in 4 days, so I really have to get it into gear and as soon as I can, start walking and exercising. I know that will be the answer, but I have trouble doing the right thing .

I have not had a fill in 11 months because the doctor says he wants me to do better by myself. I've only lost 40 pounds. I had the banding in January 2005, and lost the weight all in that year.