Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read A LOT on this sight, now I'm worried

:wink2: I have been reading experiences on this page and now I'm scared. I am 30 yrs old, 5'3", and 253 lbs. I have been wanting surgery for several years now but have not had the resources or money. FINALLY, the opportunity for me to have this surgery may be in reach and I want to grab it! There is a program starting up at our local hospital (where my husband works) and for employees and their family members on the hospital insurance, the cost will be ridiculously low. All our surgeons and dieticians are in training right now. However, I have depression, anxiety/panic, and type A personality disorder, all of which are contolled with meds (except at PMS time). I see a therapist and a psychiatrist regularly...those two and my PCP are on board and have been ever since I started really discussing it with them. They have all said, "tell me what I need to write for you and who to send it to and I'll do it". I'm just afraid that with my diagnosis that I might fail the psych eval. I am in this for the right reasons and all MY docs see this, but will the "appointed" docs see it too?

Go for it. Have a positive attitude and know that your prayers have been answered. I know that if you really believe that this is the right thing for you no one will deny it!

Blessings,

Sally

Hi, I am on Cymbalta due to depression and anxiety. It was my thyroid doctor that initially prescribed it because I was feeling over whelmed at work - and still am. When I had my Psych evaluation, he went over my meds and saw Cymbalta. He asked me nothing about why I was taking it. We had our normal consultation, and a written test. I believe that other conditions that we have can contribute to depression and anxiety. My psych called me with my evaluation results and he said he felt that my reasons for wanting the surgery were all sound reasons, my expectations following the surgery were normal; and that my written test reflected the same. Being overweight makes me feel very down and unhappy, because I hurt all the time and can't do the things I want to. I would think that a written referral from your current therapist would be a real plus, if he feels some of your depression is because of your weight. Lap Band is HUGE lifestyle change, and they just want to make sure you're mentally up for it. Good Luck to you.

I agree. If this is what is meant for you to have, it will happen. I know I had to give my worries to God because I was flipping out over whether or not I'd get approval (I have and I'm scheduled for surgery on May 13th).

The psych evaluation isn't hard (at least mine wasn't). Mostly, they just want to know that you understand your relationship with food and you're ready to change your habits. They're concerned with you having a good support system at home and in your life as well.

We all have something we're battling/dealing with in our lives. No one is perfect and I think they realize that when they're evaluating you. They're not looking for perfection (mentally, physically, emotionally), but they do want to know that you're ready to take this journey and not fall back in to your old habits and mental weight issues.

Trust that this will happen for you (if you're ready for it) and start now with adjusting your attitude towards food.< /p>

Take care!

I wouldn't worry about the psych eval. Your conditions aren't necessarily contraindications for getting banded. Just be honest in your answers.

I believe the psych eval is to see if you are going into this for the right reasons. Do you want to be healthy? Are you doing this so you can weigh less... or do you think that your life will be SOOOO much better if you are skinny? (Thinking you are going to be skinny one thing that will rule you out.) If you are tired of being fat... and want to be healthy... then it will show it. Most heavy people have issues with depression...

I think the main reason is to see if you have realistic ideas about what the band can do for you. It's not going to save a marriage, it's not going to make you a model, it's not going to make all your problems go away... but it will help you control your eating. You still need to control your choices. Go for it!!!!

All of your MDs are on board and supportive so I don't think you'll have a problem. Read through the forum and you'll find many people who take medications for depression and other conditions who have been approved.

I think everyone's right here -- the psych eval is mostly to make sure you are aware of what you are getting into and prepared to make the changes you need to make. In mine, they also screen for depression (not as a way to stop people from having the surgery, but so you can also be treated for the depression as it's extremely common in overweight people).

They also wanted to talk about whether I was freaked out about the idea of having a foreign object inside me.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.

my daughter is bi-polar, which is depression and manic and she sees a regular psych and she is going to have it done. The lap band psych and her got along great. So don't worry, talk it over with the nurse..

I was able to choose who I went to for a psych evaluation. Maybe the doctor you already see will fill that requirement, then it's a non issue. Find this out first. Then you have now worries and it's clear sailing!! Good luck to you. What a wonderful opportunity.

You know, I have discovered over the past couple of months that I suffer from a pretty bad disorder. Basically, I'm nutty as a fruitcake. I made it through the eval fine. As long as you can show maturity and control when it comes to handling yourself, that'll show through. With my psych eval, she was just wanting to make sure that I had reasonable expectations, was not currently struggling with bulimia, and that I would agree to get counseling so that I could learn healthy coping mechanisms. I'd say you're a step ahead - you already have a good support system, it sounds like. And that is definitely key.