Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Tuesday - Scared

Hi All -

My surgery is cheduled for Tuesday. I was on vacation the past 10 days so I really didn't think about it much, but now that I am home I am totally scared. I know in my heart that this is the right thing to do for me, but yet I keep asking myself am I doing the right thing. I have been over weight my entire life - so this will be a huge lifestyle change for me and I really need it. I am sure there are many people out there who felt the same way right? Like why do I have to do this? Why can't I just do it on my own???

Any thoughts?

I felt the same way. My surgery was last Thursday, 4-24 and I wondered if this decision was too drastic. I never had a feeling of excitement since the insurance approval. The day of the surgery, I felt sad. Now just 2 days later, I love my band already! I am glad I did this. The surgery was so quick and hardly any pain. I am absolutely not hungry. Yes, I can lose weight without being banded. I have done it many times. Problem is, the weight always comes back.

There are alot of compaints on this site but I think the majority of people who are happy about being banded, don't come here and post.

I am excited now! Bet you will be too when it all over.

I'm getting banded on Tuesday too. I'm not really scared about the surgery itself - well, maybe just a little. Mostly I'm scared about life after surgery. I'm worried about wanting to binge and not being able to. I know that's the whole point and I'm definitely excited about having some control over my eating. But right now I'm worried about the interim period between getting banded and getting to the sweet spot. I met with my surgeon on Friday and I felt better afterward. He said he will do a small fill during surgery and then will do another fill six weeks after surgery and then every three weeks after that until we find the sweet spot and I'm not hungry and am losing weight at a good, safe rate. I have been on a mostly liquid diet for 5 weeks now and although I have lost 22 pounds and am happy about that, I've been REALLY hungry at different times and I have had an almost uncontrollable desire to eat from time to time. Usually after about four days of only liquids without a bite of food I'm just going crazy with head hunger and the desire to eat real food. When that happens, I give in and eat something - usually healthy, but not always. I'm worried that after the band I have to be on only liquids for three weeks and won't be able to have those "cheats." I guess we just have to take it one day at a time. My surgeon - a really, really nice guy - says he will work really hard to get me to the appropriate level of restriction as fast as possible to get rid of the cravings and the hunger. I know it's all going to be worth it but I'm worried about the next couple of months until the optimal fill level is reached. In spite of all that, I really am excited! I'm already off my blood pressure medication and my diabetes medication due to the weight loss from the pre-op diet. That's a huge bonus that happened really fast. And I'm already down one clothing size. I feel exactly like you do with the questioning of why can't I just diet and do this. But, I also know that I've been overweight for all of my adult life and I've lost a lot of weight a couple of times before. The weight doesn't stay off. And, at least for me, I have enough health problems that have developed because of my weight that I have run out of time to try to solve this myself. The surgery is the right choice for me and I'm just going to do my best. I totally understand how you feel. Good luck to us on April 29!!

Wow. I just posted about this same thing earlier today. I'll be banded on April 28th and am so nervous about the new lifestyle. I'm afraid of PBing, getting food stuck, sliming, etc. Let's keep in touch afterwards and encourage each other. Good luck.

Hi Whip!

I am being banded on Monday, the 28th and I am scared too....scared of continuing to live this way. I wish you the very best in your procedure, your recovery, and your new life.

Tammygirl:thumbup:

I can agree with you all.... this is my first post.... I've struggled for a long time with weight and after losing my wife 7 years ago and having 3 girls to raise.... I want to be around here for a long time.... I'm looking forward to this and this is going to improve all our lives... yes, lets keep in touch!.... mine is at SWLC on the 28th...... what about you guys??....

ALL THE BEST!

Hi all. I thought I give you a positive spin on the band. I was banded on 2/15/08 and felt pretty much the same way you all are. As a matter of fact on the 2nd day after the surgery I was near tears because I didn't know how to 'fix' what I had done. I think that was the anesthesia talking. Now I am very happy with my band.

The band will only work for you as hard as you work for it. By that I mean, you have to make a conscious decision at each meal to eat healthy, chew your food appropriately and have nothing to drink with your meals.

Before my surgery I drank 2-3 cokes a day. I stopped cold turkey about a week before the surgery. I tried a little cola the other day and it doesn't seem to taste as good as I once thought. Now I stick to Water or tea, or an occasional lemonade. I still eat pizza every now and then, but I can't eat more than 1 piece before I am full. A lot of the eating is mental, you can still have most of the foods you love, just in smaller (much smaller) portions.

As far as pb'ing, sliming, etc. I have not had one episode yet (knock wood). Once or twice I've gotten this feeling like there is a big knot right under my sternum. That told me to stop eating. The feeling went away in less than 10 minutes. I think the food backed up and needed time to work it's way down. I don't feel like I have restriction but I know that I can't eat anywhere near the amount I used to. I've had 2 small fills and go back in Monday for a 3rd. I've lost 7 pounds since surgery which is an average of 1lb a week. I like that. losing slowly means I shouldn't have a lot of baggy flesh when I've lost to my goal.

Hang in there and if you want this band bad enough, it will become your best ali in your fight against the weight.

Good luck to you all.

:confused:I am being banded on the 30th. I am worried because I have a cold. I have lost the pre weight and am worried now that they will have to reschedule my surgery. I just don't know how I will react if I have to wait another week or two. I don't want to gain again.

I'm being banded on the 28th - makes four us here so far, and I'm not scared of the surgery one bit. I, too, am more afraid of life after band - about the PBing and whatnot. I'm sure we'll all be fine.

You may be like some of us - losing's easy, it's keeping it off that's the hard part.

Can you tell me please how I get the ticker (weight loss tracker) under my name. I just can't figure it out.

Thank you:rolleyes2:

Can you tell me please how I get the ticker (weight loss tracker) under my name. I just can't figure it out.

Thank you:rolleyes2:

If you click on my ticker, it'll open in a new window - you select the options you want, put in your information then it'll give you a couple options to choose from. Highlight the first one completely and right click/copy.

To the right here, click on edit profile, click on edit signature, in the box, right click/paste. then preview your sig. If it looks like you want, save sig. viola

Hi Guys,

I Guess I Really Am A Newbie. On Tues. I Will Just Be Having A Visit With My Pcp To Try To Talk Her Into Writing A Referral For Me. My Insurance Covers It 100% But Not Without Her Okay. Last Year She Would'nt Even Give Me A Rx For Xenical Diet pills. She Said You Just Need To Diet And Exercise....like I Have'nt Tried That. I Have Had 3 Ankle Surgeries, 3 Knee Surgeries And Now Hip Pain. Can't Begin To Tell You About The Pain I Live With On A Daily Basis From The Arthritis And The Depression From It All. Any Suggestions To Help Me Convince Her ?

Dperson,

Please consider seeking a second opinion from another physician. If that physician concurs that surgery would be good for you, transfer your care and medical records to him/her. He/She will write your recommendation and support you through the process.

Be sure to send your before and after pictures to your old physician:lol:! Wishing you the very best!

Tammygirl:wink_smile:

Hi Whip!

Tammygirl here again! Well I did it! I was banded on April 28 and came home the next day. I am a little sore, but feel great. I am not scared anymore. I know I have done something positive for my health and I am excited! Take care, Whip! I wish you the very best!:thumbup:

Tammygirl here again! Well I did it! I was banded on April 28 and came home the next day. I am a little sore, but feel great. I am not scared anymore. I know I have done something positive for my health and I am excited! Take care, Whip! I wish you the very best!:thumbup:

Congrats on getting your band and doing so well! I hope everyone else will let us know how they are doing.