Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elated before the big letdown... :(

I've been having lots of issues with my weight loss the last two weeks....I've been using dailyplate, exercising, and limiting my carbs. I was only eating between 500 and 700 calories, realized was probably in starvation mode so I upped my calories to 1000-1100, started my period, had a 7 pound Water weight gain and now I've been drinking water like crazy trying to get rid of the extra weight fast.

Well my period is over and so I decided to weigh myself last night. Before my period I was at -24...then I stepped on the scale...-31.5...I ran into the living room and excitedly told my dh. Then I thought...I will weigh myself again before putting my jammies on...I will probably weigh a pound less.........

I pulled out the scale an stepped on it...My scale had lied...my digital scale that has NEVER read wrong...had....I was up 7 pounds still. How could this be??

I cried and cried...I thought everything was going well since my fill except for the low calories, which I had just changed days ago. Was my water weigh going to go away...

I just don't understand!

I certainly ton't want to go down to my second fill appointment with a weight gain on the 1st.

So now I'm just disgusted and second guessing myself.

The scale thing...I may have had it off center of where I usually have it, but I weighed myself twice and our home is only 5 years old so it would not be because the floor is uneven...

Should I up my water intake again?

Take water pills?

Exercise moring and night?

I'm just disgusted. I make great food choices and have been right on track with healtheir foods and such.

This water weight gain is really bringing me down again. This is my second period since surgery and I lost the other water weight relatively fast after my period.

I really need to get out of this Funk I'm in....

Any ideas.... I'll have my 2 month bandiversary on Friday!

Occaisionally, we will hit what are called "plateaus." You're body tries to maintain your weight because you've lost so much so quickly. I call the Dr. and the nutrionist and get advice on what to do when you reach a plateau. Also, you could be retaining Water if you're close to your time of the month.

Your probablee retaining Water...Your probabablee going to go down dramatically in the next few days.

But I have some advice to you. Stay off the scales for a week. Just one week. Fight that urge to jump on it.

Keep doing what your doing because it sounds fantastic. Drink your Water, eat healthy, continue your great habits...but stay off the scale.

Thats what I had to do and I really think it is working. I feel good. I feel like I am losing. And on Friday I will see how much I have actually lost this week, but as good as I feel right now I might be retaining water or just having a heavy day hormonoly or something and that scale is not ruining my day today.

Try it. I think you will agree.

I suggest to stay away from the scale. I no longer have a period due to a hysterectomy last year but my best friend does and she goes through the same thing every month. You just have to be patient about the Water weight. Remember water weight loss isn't fat loss, so once the water is gone you will see the difference in your fat loss. It is also not uncommon to not lose as much before your fill. Remember the four rules for using your Lap-Band as a tool, 1. Protein first, 2. water water water, 3. exercise in some way each day, and 4. NO GRAZING. lol. I don't study "dieting rules" such as counting calories, and carbs, etc. If I could follow a diet I wouldn't have needed the Lap-Band. Best of luck to you. You will do fine!

I had the same thing happen last month. A full week before I got my period, I gained 8 lbs in Water weight. Once it was gone, I went back down. I thought I might start this week, and gained a little over the weekend. I didn't start yet, but dropped 3 lbs yesterday. I have PCOS so I never know if/when I'll start.

My scale makes me nuts on a daily basis. Like yesterday, I dropped 3 lbs in one day so I wondered if it was right and weighed again. I got a totally different number that time. I ended up weighing five times, scale in the same spot, and it came up different each time. I think I need a new scale.

Ah, BlessedTwice, I'm right there with ya girlfriend. I've been struggling with a plateau for the past two weeks, and it's starting to get me down. I'm either 220 or 219, I can't get past it. It seems my body lost 30 pounds, and it wants to stop right there. It's frustrating, because since the day I went on my pre-op diet, I've stayed right on plan. The only thing I can think of that might be a "cheat" was a glass of wine I had when I was out to dinner with my husband. But that was before these past two weeks.

I have been keeping close track of my calories, fat, carbs and Protein intake - I use Fitday's program (I even bought and downloaded the program, so it's on my computer, and I don't have to worry about internet problems). I keep my fat and carbs low, my Protein intake is about 70 to 90 gms a day, it's what I eat mostly. I do drink my 64 ozs. of Water everyday. Calorie intake is about 700 to 900 a day. And I exercise - two miles on my treadmill everyday, plus what exercise I get from daily chores, yardwork, etc.

So hitting a plateau sure is frustrating. I just got done with wicked Aunt Flo, and I was hoping for some Water weight to come off, so far nothing . . . still stuck at 219.

So I hear ya when you say you feel disgusted BlessedTwice. You're not alone! I too feel like I'm making great food choices, then it's sooooo hard when nothing happens for so long. I know it's irrational, but I feel like my body's done with weight loss. ARRGH! I know weight loss is never easy, and tough times happen! I just gotta keep telling myself this will pass. It's hard right now, this is about the lowest mood I've had since I've been banded.

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice everyone. I'm wondering what I should do to break this plateau - maybe up my calories to 1100? I always feel like I'm gonna gain if I do that.

Sorry for the rambling and venting!

I also say stay away from the scale, it makes me crazy at times. Just keep on doing what you are doing. My weight goes down like crazy the week before my period and then the week of my period, absolutely nothing happens. I am going to just stop weighing myself the week of my period because it messes with my head so much.

Isn't it amazing that even though you know in your head you are just retaining Water, how the scales number is enough to send you over the deep end!

Ah' date=' BlessedTwice, I'm right there with ya girlfriend. I've been struggling with a plateau for the past two weeks, and it's starting to get me down. I'm either 220 or 219, I can't get past it. It seems my body lost 30 pounds, and it wants to stop right there. It's frustrating, because since the day I went on my pre-op diet, I've stayed right on plan. The only thing I can think of that might be a "cheat" was a glass of wine I had when I was out to dinner with my husband. But that was before these past two weeks.

I have been keeping close track of my calories, fat, carbs and Protein intake - I use Fitday's program (I even bought and downloaded the program, so it's on my computer, and I don't have to worry about internet problems). I keep my fat and carbs low, my Protein intake is about 70 to 90 gms a day, it's what I eat mostly. I do drink my 64 ozs. of Water everyday. Calorie intake is about 700 to 900 a day. And I exercise - two miles on my treadmill everyday, plus what exercise I get from daily chores, yardwork, etc.

So hitting a plateau sure is frustrating. I just got done with wicked Aunt Flo, and I was hoping for some Water weight to come off, so far nothing . . . still stuck at 219.

So I hear ya when you say you feel disgusted BlessedTwice. You're not alone! I too feel like I'm making great food choices, then it's sooooo hard when nothing happens for so long. I know it's irrational, but I feel like my body's done with weight loss. ARRGH! I know weight loss is never easy, and tough times happen! I just gotta keep telling myself this will pass. It's hard right now, this is about the lowest mood I've had since I've been banded.

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice everyone. I'm wondering what I should do to break this plateau - maybe up my calories to 1100? I always feel like I'm gonna gain if I do that.

Sorry for the rambling and venting![/quote']

I would try increasing calories to see if it helps. Your body might be in starvation mode, especially with that few calories and that much activity. I've increased to 1000-1200 a day to see if that helps me lose better. If not, I'll drop back down to about 800. I do not let myself go under 800 because I don't lose anything when I do.

Thank you all. I'm going to put the scale in the closet for a week or so, keep my calories up to 1000 and add another 30 minutes of exercise. I've been wanting to start my Tae Bo DVD...I just might start that in the Morning!

Edited by BlessedTwice

Sounds like you have a good attitude about it now. I'd also suggest watching your Protein intake. That usually always ends up affecting my weight loss.

One other thing they told me at my fill appointment was that it is not uncommon in the beginning to go through plateaus where the scale isn't moving, but you are instead dropping inches. How are your clothes fitting? Try taking measurements to compare, especially during those frustrating plateau times!