Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I lose without all the water?

I don't want to hear how good Water is for your body. I know all of that. I just can't seem to drink water or any cold drinks. I drink my Decaf coffee and my decaf tea all day long. I get about 60 to 80 oz a day. Can the pounds come off without the water? The fluids I drink all day are less then 400 cal. I have a very tight fill so I eat very small meals. I have a big problem with BPing if I eat or drink anything cold. So can a person still lose weight without drinking water?

Have you tried Water at room temp? That's how I prefer it personally.

I have done diets in the past, and was never a Water drinker, and the weight fell off, so I don't know that water=weight loss. It's just healthier, blah blah stuff you know.

I don't think the weight loss is really the point. Your body needs Water, and it is harder to get it when you are eating much less. It doesn't have to be in the form of clear water, but tea and coffee are diuretics that cause you to lose water, not gain it. You do need to keep your fluids up, or else you will not feel well, get weak, get constipated, and generally suffer a lot more than you need to. Of course, severe dehydration can kill you, but I am assuming you aren't getting to that point! If you don't like plain water, drink crystal lite or something similar without a lot of sugar. Just be sure to keep up the fluids other than tea and coffee.

Decaf coffee and decaf tea ARE Water. At least, I count them as such. Same with Crystal Light & Propel.

A 12-oz cup of regular coffee = about 8 oz of Water once you count the diuretic effect of the caffeine.

Fluids matter. It doesn't have to be cold, plain water. (and I also drink my water, Crystal Light, iced tea or Propel at room temp. Cold constricts my band)

400 cals is a lot of calories for fluids though, unless you're counting your milk in that.

Herbal Tea would be better than Decaf - the decaffination process puts in a lot of nasties. If you are drinking too much of it might not be very good for you. Weight loss is not really the point of ensuring you drink enough Water.< /p>

Edited by Luscious

Thought this might help.

Fluids - the good and the bad

Fluids come in many forms - Water, ice blocks, fruit, juice, tea, and cordial. Many foods are mainly Fluid - custard, jelly, ice cream, and Soup. These can contribute vital Fluid.< /p>

Caffeine drinks such as coffee, cola, Milo and alcohol are fluids, but have a diuretic effect so fluid is lost from the body with these drinks. If a person has one of these drinks it should be accompanied with a glass of Water. Certainly coffee and alcohol should not be the main source of fluid intake as they further increase the person's risk of dehydration.

The doctor told me that the Decaf tea counts as Water as long as it doesn't have any sugar. It is the caffine that has the diuretic, not the tea and coffee. There is no difference in drinking decaf sugar free tea and drinking water with the sugar free mixes.

You should at least try to drink some plain Water. Your liver acts like a sponge to all the nasties that are in artificial sweetener and such. At least get some plain water in to flush all the trash out of your liver and kidneys. I mean you can loose wieght without it, but at what cost kidney stones and a sick liver.

Your body needs a certain amount of Fluid. If you consume fluids and your pee is no darker than the color of lemonade, you are getting enough Fluid. People have all sorts of opinions about the best fluids and what counts and doesn't count, but the bottom line is your pee color. If it's anywhere between clear and lemonade, you are okay.

But you asked about weight loss. If you drink a non-calorie fluids, it takes up room in your stomach. That's room that food can't fit into. :biggrin: So I have found that if I increase my fluid intake, my calorie intake goes down and I lose weight. I don't even have to "diet" to see this.

my nutritionist told me I have to drink Water even if it is flavored with something because of the possibility of kidney stones, and Ive had them before and it was tea that gave them to me. I don't know about loosing weight but i've always loved water so it's not a problem, but I would imagine the more water the more your body flushes out the toxins in your system and the less you retain. I might be wrong though

In my opinion i have learned the hard way that u have to drink water... yuck.... I really don't care for water... but when u want to loose weight your body has to be hydrated... in order to do so... So even if u have to drink crystal lite or whylers lite... do it at least it's something... My mother couldn't stand water.. so she put sugar in hers... of course that's not good but that is the only way she could drink it... but u do have to have plain old H20:rolleyes2:

I just don't see what the difference is in the crystal light mixes that are sugar free and sugar and caffine free tea. They even make mixes now that ARE tea.

Its funny I have been looking for a new hairstyle and picked up a "hair" magazine at the drugstore the other day. Amazingly it had a very informative artical intitled "Is Diet Soda Making Your hair Fall Out?" (written by Karen Marie Shelton) It was very intresting and I'd like to share an exerpt from the artical referring to artificial sweetner:

"Diet beverages are often chock full of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, splenda, sucralose (sucralose is made when chlorine is added to sugar) and saccharin, which has been believed to attack the body at the cellular levels, clog the liver and even block some kinds of medications such as antidepressants, hormons, insulin, vaccines and various other drugs.

Aspartame is a dipeptide that is composed of phenylalanine and aspartic ascid linked by methyl ester bond. According to aspartame supporters, the methyl ester bond is not absorbed and is completely hydrolyzed in the intestines to yeild the two constituent amino acids and free methanol. Opponents suggest that the phenylalanine and methanol released are still dangerous. They believe that the ongoing consumption of artificially sweetened drinks may cause a metabolic acidosis and neurotoxicity.

It should also be noted that it is known by supporters of natural pesticide methods that aspartame can be used as an effective insect poison and is very successful in dealing with unwanted ants......."

To sum up the artical for those that want to know if it does effect your hair, the artical says it may or may not there is no real physical evidence to date that proves yah or nah. Blah Blah Blah

Bottom line is you are consumming chemicals and therefore injesting toxins.

It was a very intresting artical and while I do drink beverages with artificial sweeteners, I still try to get a little plain jane Water in. I am a nonfan of Water like many. I do know that I went one summer just drinking tea and nothing else and I got kidney stones and had to pass them suckers cuz I didn't have any insurance to go get them blasted out, that was not fun. So that is why I do try to flush my kidneys and liver with plain water.

Who knows who is right and who is wrong, if you avoid drinking anything because you hate water I think it is better to jazz it up and stay hydrated that way then not drinking at all!