Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If I knew what I knew today ...

Would you still have done the lap band?

Just curious. I've learned a lot about weight loss from taking the associated classes etc, that go along with getting the lapband. I thought I knew it all ... go figure.

I've read so much about how some gain it back. I guess I was tuning all that out when I was going through the process.

The weight loss is slow and I just got over a 4 week plateau, so maybe I'm over thinking. I had no idea it would be this slow. I knew 'slower' than gastric but no clue this slow.

I would...I have actually been having problems I am almost 3 yrs out but I can still say today that I would do it over again if I had to. Everyone is so different when it comes to the band. I really think it's how your body reacts to things. I work at a bariatric clinic and I see some that reach goals quickly and others that take longer. So hang in there and you will get there....at least you are lossing again.

Don't worry about it. Losing weight at a slow rate is better for you. You also have more time allow your body to adjust to this drastic change. 43lbs is very good in 6 months. Just hang it there it will come. Atleast your not gaining any of it back.

My doctor and nutritionist want people to shoot for a 1-2 lbs loss per week. Losing slower helps your body adjust to the changes, you are less likely to have gallbladder problems and your skin is more like to adjust too.

As long as you are losing and not gaining you are doing well.

Yes, I would have. I knew what good eating habits were and I even practiced them for most of the time. I wasnt physically hungry all the time either. But I had an out of control appetite and I believe I still do. If I were to unfill my band or lose it I would have to work *extremely* hard to keep the weight off. I dont believe I would go back to being a slug on the couch, I really do LOVE my running. So I dont think I would get as heavy as I was. But I would definitely gain.

Yep I would do it again in a heartbeat! Weight being a second issue----I was taking 2 medications for high blood pressure, one for high blood sugar, another for high cholesterol (all these high numbers, only thing that was low, was my spirit!), and yet another for joint pain in my knees.

The medications were ALL gone very quickly! My blood pressure is now on the low normal range, same with my blood sugar. My cholesterol just dropped below 150----and my knees no longer hurt.

The weight loss, and new freedoms have been wonderful---but I regained my health, and my hope. Yep in a heartbeat I would do it again.....my only wish, is that it had been available to me years ago!

Kat

Absolutely, 100%. But then, I have had no complications.

And yeah, I'm a slow loser. But I feel great compared to where I was before, and I would have kept on the gain/lose cycle had I not gotten banded. My weight now is moving in the right direction -- down. :cry_smile:

The other available WLSs still do not appeal compared to the relative safety of the band. Losing quickly doesn't matter nearly as much to me as staying healthy long term.

I would have it done again...even though at the moment Ive not got any restriction going on! Im hoping it will kick in soon. Wanted the band done for so long,and failed at so many diets,it was my last resort.

Well, I've crossed that bridge a thousand times on previous diets. Struggle very hard to lose some weight, gain it back, over and over.

Oh yes, I would get a band again anyday.

We all want to lose our weight fast, like yesterday, please, BUT this is THE fastest I have ever lost this amount of weight and I have to say it's been so much easier than dieting without the band. It's still hard some days, but overall better than no band.

I was told to expect one to pounds a week, so I believed that and it has been true. Do I expect the last 15 pounds to be slower than that rate? YUP? After you lose 50 to 60 pounds, it will take fewer calories to maintain that new lower weight, so it will take even fewer to continue to lose, so the rate at which we lose will slow down or we have to increase our exercise to compensate. None of that is news to me, so I won't be surprised.

I think if we look at our weight loss, from week to week it seems slow, but if you look at your weight loss over the past six months, then it's impressive really. You've lost over 7 pounds every month on average!

Keep it up and one day, you'll wake up, get on the scale and be at goal!

Absolutely without a doubt I would do it again, I would have done it earlier if I'd known how it would give me my life back. I've not had any complications, have lost almost all of the weight I wanted to (its been harder the last 20ish pounds, but its still slooooooowly coming off) and am now active, healthy and happy. Life is good.

I would do it again x 100!!! You bet! To stop that cycle of gain-lose! To stop feeling like failure about my weight! YES! I am a slow loser. I've been banded nearly 4 years and so I can relate to the frustration of slow loss; however, thank God because my head needs time to adjust and I am SO confident now that it's not coming back on me!!! What a relief that is! Last year, I only lost about 25 lbs because I was too tight and had issues because of that. But, it's all good now and I'm headed back down the scale!! YAHOO! Just keep plugging away! Good luck!

I would definitely do it again. It is the best tool every invented. It is not easy but it is easier than doing it without the band. The food I eat has changed dramatically. I save a ton of money of food and that is saying a lot right now considering how much prices have increased recently. I feel so much better. I've lost 35 pounds in 5 months which is also 7 pounds per month and I am totally thrilled.

Plateaus are very normal and this probably won't be your last. Remember that this is a lifestyle change so you need to learn to eat healthy forever. Keep eating healthy and following the rules and you will definitely succeed. Be proud of the changes you've made in your life. Look at the whole picture when the scale isn't moving and see how much your life has changed.

You can do it!

Well the plateau is starting to move. Phew. Thanks for your support.

I definitely would do this again. However, I wish I did understand it better before hand, it would have helped with some of my disappointments and misunderstandings early on.

At our seminar they didn't say HOW slow it would be they only said that it was a 'bit' slower than gastric bypass, and that isn't really the truth. It is a LOT slower. AND it relies more heavily on our commitment than I had realized. There is no magic cure, it does take work but honestly without the band I couldn't have done it. It really is a great tool.