Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Too Old For Banding Opp

I'm not sure where you got that idea from!!.. Yes people over 60 should be able to get the band if they don't have lots of other co morbidities. Remember this is to improve your health.

sharon

Yikes. I'm over the hill and didn't even know it!

It's funny, because there is another thread that discusses patients that are too long.

I have an interesting idea....let's leave the decision to the doctors and patients?

This whole idea of people in their 40s having surgery could really get away from us, though. Next thing you know, people in their 50s are going to start thinking they can have sex and we all know that's reserved for the 20s, right? Riiiiiight.

Thanks for all your wonderful encouragement....I need it !

I almost went ahead with this surgery two years ago but decided against it as I wanted to try and help myself in a more 'holistic' way.

Instead,I tried O.A for a while and was able to cut out bread(my biggest downfall).

I lost about 35 lbs and have managed to hold it off quite well but can't loose any more...My B.M.I. was over the magic '40', now it's (only????) '37' so I hope that won't be a problem.

This week I bumped into a woman I met thru O.A.(who had a band fitted over a year ago)and she said that it was undoubtedly the BEST thing that she had EVER done for herself.....she has lost 112lbs,looks so much better/healthier and her blood pressure is now normal.

I KNOW that I eat too much for emotional reasons.

I have battled with food and suffered by being overweight for most of my life and I am tired!

Even now I know that I could pile back the bit of weight that I have lost and more even(which has happened so many times before)

Dare I say I want/deserve some REAL HELP with this and I'm hoping that having a band fitted will actually do that for me.

Thanks for all your love and support:thumbup:

Go for it! I was 55 when I got my band (and NOT in good health...because of my weight!). I am now almost 57. I look better than I have looked in 30 years and feel stupendous. In just under a year I have surpassed my doctor's goal weight, my original goal weight (!!!) and am still losing....

I don't know weather or now you will be accepted, but I personally think this operation is for young people.

It is a nothing surgery for young people. There is pain and the ordeal you go through afterwards realy can't be described...

This is just my opinion, but I don't think anyone over the age of 40 should be able to have the Lap Band.

Puuuuleeeeeeze! I SAILED through my surgery (also, as we get older I think we take things a lot more in stride...). I have seen hundreds of posts from "youngsters" who piss and moan about how "bad" they feel afterwards and how if they had known what an "ordeal" it was they might not have done it (Oh no! Three weeks of liquid diet before surgery???? OH NO! liquid and mushy diet for 4 weeks AFTER surgery???? Totally NOT worth it!!! I thought they were just going to flip a switch and I'd be thin!....Bummer!). I've got to really laugh at that. Now my caveat is that I DO understand that everyone heals differently, has different pain level tolerances, etc. However, if you are going into this with your eyes OPEN and you are EDUCATED, you can get through this with NO surprises. I was shocked at how WELL I felt right after surgery. Of course, I have been through several major surgeries in my lifetime, most of which were in my "youth" and knocked my socks off. This was a breeze.

Exactly at what age do you reckon people ought to give up hope?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Maybe we should have a society like the one in Logan's Run (probably most of you whippersnappers aren't going to know what this is). You turn 30 and they "recycle" you.

Next thing you know, people in their 50s are going to start thinking they can have sex and we all know that's reserved for the 20s, right? Riiiiiight.

LOL!!!!

:D:thumbup::):thumbup::lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Maybe we should have a society like the one in Logan's Run (probably most of you whippersnappers aren't going to know what this is). You turn 30 and they "recycle" you.

Hey!

I think I am probably a whippersnapper and I love Logan's Run! =p

I understand what IAMWithBand is saying. It's logical, but not realistic in the least. Don't be too harsh, IAmWithBand is 17, close to my age. 40 seems FOREVER OFF! In any case, older people (especially older ladies) get put through hell when bad stuff happens and they can handle it like CHAMPS! Breast Cancer is more common in obese people as well as other types of cancers. Diabetes, Hypertension, you all know the drill. I don't think there should be ANY age limit on this band, as the resulting effects of the band (weight loss and disappearing comorbidities) can result in DECADES of life gained. Go for it, hunny! Please keep us updated on the progress.

Wow, I love this thread and needed it so much.I am 58 and trying to decide whether to risk having lap band. It is so reassuring to hear that other "really old"people have survived the surgery. Please keep posting old people!!! I love to hear how well you are doing.

ang

re: '"you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

Looks like young dogs ain't learning very well either....

ROTFLMAO (cause :):lol: wasnt enough for a post)...

Well it takes some people a LOT of account suspensions before they catch on. Some young people can be such SLOW learners.

I've counted four so far.