Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Too Old For Banding Opp

I wonder if anyone knows if I am likely to be accepted for the lapband ?....I am 61 yrs old and in very good health

DAMIENNE.:tt1:

Hi,

I got my band on April1 and I am 60 years old. Have had no problems and feel great at this point.

Let us know what you decide.

Abby:smile2:

I don't know weather or now you will be accepted, but I personally think this operation is for young people.

It is a nothing surgery for young people. There is pain and the ordeal you go through afterwards realy can't be described...

This is just my opinion, but I don't think anyone over the age of 40 should be able to have the Lapband.

I met two people recently (husband and wife) who got lapbanded last year. They are both in their early 60's and doing great. I'm not sure why "Iamwiththeband" thinks only people under 40 should be banded.

I have to disagree with the idea that the band is for young people.

It was a nothing surgery for me as well. I was lucky to not have much pain at all. I had surgery at 7:30 am. Was up walking, going to the bathroom, having ice chips by 10:30 am. Out of the hospital by noon. Came home, took an afternoon nap, and felt like taking a walk. They tell you that walking helps with the gas that some people have after surgery. I had very little of that. Soooo, I feel that 60 something is not too old at all. Guess it all depends on how strong of a person you are. This is just not that big of a deal; it's surgery but not major surgery. Lots of older people have bypass surgery and do just fine.

Abby

I disagree. I think that the elective surgery is not a good idea for older people. As we all know, going under the knife is dangerous if you are in the best of health.

Being older raises the risk exponentially:

The healing process is slowed.

The old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" stands valid in this instance perhaps more than any other. You cannot teach someone who has a pattern and has lived their long life one way not to eat bread, some meats, sodas, and tons of other things that older people will have a problem with.

Plus, I personally believe that young people don't have as many complications as the older ones do.

I believe it is a young persons surgery.

Edited by IAmWithTheBand

And you graduated from medical school, when? Let's see when you get to be 40 if you think it's too old.

"older" People have hip surgery, knee replacement, heart bypass, transplants and a host of other surgeries.

Perhaps you think it would be wise for everyone over the age of 40 be put on a block of ice and let us float into warm Water, too.

I hope you are a member of the "working" population because soon I'll be collecting my SS check and you'll be contributing every week towards it. I thank you in advance!

There is NO age limit for lapband if you want it. Age is only a number. If you and your doctor agree it is safe, then go for it. I was 57 when I had my band and I love it.

I disagree. I think that the elective surgery is not a good idea for older people. As we all know, going under the knife is dangerous if you are in the best of health.

The old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" stands valid in this instance perhaps more than any other. You cannot teach someone who has a pattern and has lived their long life one way not to eat bread, some meats, sodas, and tons of other things that older people will have a problem with.

Plus, I personally believe that young people don't have as many complications as the older ones do.

And being older and morbidly obese does not present problems???

My Mom is too old for the surgery, but if she needed it, she would be the ideal candidate, she follows Dr.'s orders to the letter!

I was over 40----and I was also up and walking in hours, and have been going strong ever since. I went into this surgery on several Rx medications for health issues, I now take none. My health issues would have likely killed me in another decade....

I am sure as hell glad someone else with more knowledge makes the call on age limitations.......

Damienne----there is an age thread for bandsters over 60--------------pop in and visit, I bet you find they are doing wonderfully! I chat with one regularly, who is over 60----and she is going non stop, both she and her DH have been banded, and are wildly successful!!!

Good Luck!!!

Kat

How discouraging you sound, IAmWithTheBand. I thought this forum was supposed to be for encouragement and support. I have a great aunt that was recently OKed for the surgery and she is 70. So, why not try to be a little more tactful and supportive? Life is far from being over at 60.

I just started laughing when I read I was too over the hill for lap band. I had my surgery in October. I never needed a pain pill, I was up walking a couple hours after surgery, and have had virtually no problems. If only I had known I should have just given up and killed myself, since I was so old my life wasn't worth improving.

I would love to talk to this person in a few years and see if his/her feelings have evolved.

He-l-l-l-o-o-o, I am with EVERYONE ELSE! IamwiththeBand does not have a clue! :tt1:

This is the absolute best thing I ever did in my whole life for me--no doubt about it!

There are threads here for banded persons of each age group--you should read some of those threads and see what people OUR age are saying.

I have worked out for 25 years this September and could NOT lose a pound before my tool was installed. As for the pain of surgery? Please! We are tough old mamas--if you can go through childbirth, this is a snap! And some people actually have it done outpatient!!

You go for it, girl!!! :tt2:

I don't know weather or now you will be accepted, but I personally think this operation is for young people.

It is a nothing surgery for young people. There is pain and the ordeal you go through afterwords realy can't be described...

This is just my opinion, but I don't think anyone over the age of 40 should be able to have the Lap Band.

Darling you must be quite young to think that anyone over 40 is too old for the band...

I was 52 when I was banded -The Pain and Ordeal - What ordeal - had a bunch of Test - No biggie - Pain ya a little - that's why them give you pain meds (I bet you even had some meds right after surgery) I never used any pain meds once I was home. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I was back to work on a Monday not a long recuperation if you ask me..

Healing - Well I healed just fine...

Teaching "OLD DOG NEW TRICKS" Well, being 5 lbs from my goal weight in 9 months - Oh what does that tell you :tt1: -

(Plus just want you to know that I know a lot more tricks that you do at your age - that's the benefit of age - we KNOW stuff - We have experienced life - you only think or believe - but you don't KNOW - as the saying goes "Youth is wasted on the Young)

I am PROOF that your theory is all wrong - You believe it's only for young people - I KNOW it's a great tool for people of all ages.

Many young people think this is just a new fad - us older ones know that this is a lifetime lifestyle change

I wish you the best - and remember one day you will be 50 too - I sure hope you remember this conversation and how cocky you were to your elders -:tt2:

I had the surgery at 48 - no problems!!! My Mom had the surgery in Mexico in August at - SEVENTY-ONE!! I am so proud of her and she is so happy. No problems - She has lost over 30 pounds (her BMI was only 30) is off Type 2 Diabetes medication, blood pressure is NORMAL, "bad back" almost completely healed.

This surgery has lengthened her life and improved her quality of life incredibly!! Because of the surgery she is going to live to be an OLD LADY - at 71 she was not old at all and now nine months later she seems 10 years younger.

Exactly at what age do you reckon people ought to give up hope?