Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I won't/don't miss about being Obese

Things I won't miss...

being out of breath when talking a nice walk

sweating up a storm just from light physical activity

bumping into things because of my size

the big & tall store for clothes

eating so much food and still wanting more

people assuming I am dumb because I am so big

the list can go on of course and there are so many good replies on here already!

• Having to sit down and struggle tying my shoes.
  • Getting winded everytime I have to walk quickly.
  • Having trouble finding clothes that will fit.

I guess the list could go on and on. I weighed 330 when I started this adventure and now I'm at 245. I have gone down in waist size from 54 to 42 and can pretty much jog if I want. I still have a ways to go but I am encouraged everyday with any progress I make.

For those of you new to this life style change there is hope for you. Stick with the program, don't fudge or slack and you will make it. Choose each day to win at weight loss and take it a day at a time. Just remember others have made it and so can you. :)

Had to revive this thread and add my own list...

Things I won't miss...

Being insecure about having sex with my DH

Struggling to find cute clothes (I'm 45, not dead!)

Hating to pass a mirror anywhere, anytime

Being thought of as the fat, angry black woman because I'm usually frowning (I'm either in pain, struggling to breathe, or just uncomfortable)

Wearing "fluffed out" hair because short, cropped hair makes me look bigger

Wearing "tent" swimsuits and dresses because nothing else fits

Paying 2X more for bras that can hold up my boobies

Buying WIDE shoes

Not being able to wear FMB (F*ck me boots) because my calves are too big

Being out of breath after climbing the stairs from the commuter train station

Taking up more than one seat on the train

Struggling with seat belts - in the car, on the plane, etc

Shopping at Lane Bryant / Torrid / Fashion Bug / any plus size department

Things I'm looking forward to...

Kama Sutra sex...and LOTS of it!

Not being out of breath at the top of the stairs

Shopping at Spiegel / Victoria's Secret / Macy's / Nordstroms / anyplace that has a "normal" size range

Giving up WIDE shoes

Feeling strong and fit

Getting off the meds (diabetes, blood pressure, etc, etc, etc)

Loving my reflection in the mirror

Not worrying about my DH leaving me for someone thinner

Getting hit on by strangers who only see how attractive I am

Going to my next HS reunion and being the 'hot chick'

Setting a great example for my DD

Running with my dog

Riding a motorcycle with my DH and not being afraid of losing the bike 'cause I'm not strong enough to hold it up

I could go on and on...this was / is a terrific thread!:teeth_smile::)

I won't miss...

sore feet

sore knees

sore hips

sore back

high blood pressure

finding clothes to fit

feeling embarrassed

feeling judged

arms the size of two hams

not swimming in public

feeling ugly

feeling guilty about allowing myself to get this way

asthma

snoring

lack of energy

fatigue

not wanting to fly on a plane

:)

Things I won't miss ...

Ugly plus-size clothes

Being ignored by men

Thighs rubbing together

My folks hounding me about my weight

Shopping every store in town for bras that still cut me in two

Things I'm Looking Forward To ...

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Being taken seriously

Shopping when and were I want, and not perpetually waiting to buy new things "until I lose weight."

Not worrying about losing my sight and my feet to diabetes.

I won't miss pretending I am afraid of crowds at sporting events or social events because what I really fear is not fitting in the seats. I won't miss the looks of the people that have to sit next to me on an airplane or having to whisper to the flight attendant that I need a seat belt extension. I won't miss always having to stand behind people in photos to hide my body and just show my face. I won't miss always passing up pool or beach parties on the account of I refuse to go in public in a swim suit...and I LOVE to swim! There are so many things that I have started to appreciate already and I am only down about 40lbs...I can't wait to make all of these things that we talk about a reality! - Stella

I wont miss:

Not being able to latch the seatbelt on an airplane

People not wanting to sit next to the "Fat Guy" on a plane

People watching to see how much food a fat person consumes

Being able to be on a beach or pool without the stares

Being able to shop for clothes and have sizes that actually fit in a store

Not having"assholes" pat you on the stomach as a greeting

Not having "assholes" badger you about the weight

I must add to my previous list. I will be happy to be able to play Guitar Hero with my kids and not have a problem holding the guitar against me comfortably. Not having my three year old ask me if I'm having a baby or bounce against my belly for fun. Feeling confident that my husband really means it when he says I'm beautiful. (He says he really means it now but I just feel yucky in my skin). Will probably add more later.

I WONT MISS

-my thighs rubbing and being sore.

-being completely depressed when leaving a store because NOTHING fit that I tried on.

-People thinking I am dumb just because I am fat.

- my lack of confidence to quit my job and look for a new one that respects me

-Pretending I am too busy to go on a hike or rafting because I am embarrassed.

-Dreading my 10 yr HS reunion and me still being fat.

i will not miss being able to put hose on and bending over to pick up anything. staying tired. diabetes. hoing my balance will be bettrt

i will not miss being able to put hose on and bending over to pick up anything. staying tired. diabetes. hoping my balance will be better.i won"t miss not being able to walk much, snoring,uncomfortable being around people because of my weight.[being able to go out to eat and not be ashame./quote]

I won't miss

• Looking in the mirror and being surprised because I didn't realize I was really that big
  • Always being surprised at my double chin in pictures
  • Having the sleeves too tight in long sleeved shirts
  • Having pants way too long to get them wide enough
  • Not being able to wear a leather jacket that doesn't look like a tent
  • Buying Stretch jeans so I can say I wear a smaller size
  • Ankles swelling up about an hour after I wake up
  • Being asked by my ex "you do know you are a big girl, don't you?"
  • Wondering if men are really interested or just making conversation
  • Sitting with my legs hooked under me because I can't cross them without leaning sideways
  • So many other things that it would take an hour to type them up:mad:

One of the best things about this thread is that it helps me realize I'm not alone. For example Bella's post:

"I WONT MISS my thighs rubbing and being sore."

That happened to me this past June when I was on vacation. That was the final deciding factor for me in making my decision to be banded. I got banded exactly one month later (self-pay so didn't have to jump through insurance hoops of fire).

My vacation was ruined for me by my weight. I can't even begin to describe how I felt but I know here I don't have to because you all undertand.

I WON'T MISS being fat and all the heartache, embarrasment and physical discomfort it brings.

Things I will not Miss:

-Having a full on panic attack when running into my husbands ex-fiance (blonde, perky, 110lbs former cheerleader) at the store.

-anxiety at going to parties, pinics, ect. ect.

-not going to weddings of friends because of the embarassment of having gotten so big in such little time.

-getting mad at "regular" stores for not having a plus size department.

-quietly listening in disgust and outrage at my husbands friends making fun of "fat" people who are smaller than me.

-wanting to cry because I was the fattest person in the entire club at my friend's bachelorette party.

-looking in the mirror and thinking "I used to be pretty."

What I am looking forward to:

-being able to keep up with my kids

-swimming in a bathing suit

-buying jeans for the first time in years

-having a family portrait taken because i wont hate the way I look.

-not feeling guilty for every time I'm hungry, tired, out of breath, sore, ect. ect.

-actually wanting to have sex again!

This thread is amazing... so many similar stories. Here we all understand.