Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback on Mexico - Share your stories.

Hey BigDaddy: Why did you have a catheter for the Lap Band surgery? I don't understand that part.

I went to the Molding clinic, Andres Bettancort was the patient coordinator. I was suprised at how good of an experience it was. I guess the thing was most interesting to me is that I've now only had two operations, the lap band, and I had an ACL replacement from a martial arts engagement/fight/stupid mess-up. When I came out of the ACL surgery, and into recovery there was one nurse for three people. When I came out of the lap band surgery, there were 3 doctors, two nurses, my wife and Andres. As they saw that I was ok then they started drifting off to do important "Doctor stuff," but they at least wanted to make sure there were no screw-ups in their particular area. The surgeon and the anetheseologist[sic] left thir numbers with my wife and said that they kept their cell phones on all night after they do surgery. Fortunately I did not have to find out. I was discharged early the next day, and a doctor saw me for the next two days at my hotel room. It was incredibly easy. The cathader hurt like Hell though. It was my first time with a cathader.

If I could write a love letter to Dr. Sanchez I would but I don't have the words...St. Eglacias Hospital is FABULOUS, the care I received is better than any care I've received EVER in the US.

The hotel we stayed in first night was great and Dr. Sanchez invites you to his guest house for the following night and follow up care...the house is gorgeous and sits in a very affluent neighborhood...My mom (who was very hesitant at first) loved it and told everyone about the wonderful we received in Monterrey.

I would wholeheartedly do it again and at the same hospital under the same care with the same people. Heck...my x-rays were $40 for 2 pics...tell me you can get THAT in the US.

I will always be a huge advocate of Dr. Sanchez, alma, Judy and the entire Ready4Achange group. They were the best of the best bar none a far as I am concerned.

Melissa! Sorry--I didn't recognize you! You've got to get a new picture--it doesn't look like the Melissa I met in Mexico. (Could the loss of 48 lbs have anything to do with that?). :cheeky You go girl! I'm doing lots better, and thanks so much for your support when my incision was hurting. I was so worried that something major was wrong. But . . it was I guess a normal amount of pain following an infection. I got an abdominal binder and that helps a lot to support that area while it heals, and the incision is (finally!) starting to close itself up. My insurance (Kaiser) could not answer ANY of my questions. As it turns out they do bypass only--no lap bands yet. So they couldn't tell me how I should be feeling by now, what to expect, whether this pain meant something was wrong, whether I was rejecting the port--or anything! So thank God for this website--getting info from you guys--and also called Andres and Dr. Huacuz once or twice with questions. By asking careful questions they could pretty much tell what was going on with me, even without examining me in person. So that helped too. Are they going to put exactly the same port back in you that you had before? Or try something different than last time? I could possibly go down as early as Memorial Day weekend. When in May are you going? I still have quite a bit of restriction. My girlfriend is more anxious for a fill--and feeling more hungry than I am. Everyone is different, I guess. So--not sure when we'll get the first fill. Keep in touch--maybe we'll be down there at the same time again!

My experience with Mexico was a good one for the most part.

The Doctor's and staff were very helpfull and kind and there for me.

Dr. Ortiz spent more time in my room personallly talking to me than I ever thought a doctor ever would do. He was very compassionate and sure of himself.

I thought the pre-op work, especailly blood work wasnt as sanitary or as safe as the U.S., but once up at the hospital everything seemed clean and proper.

I been in the hospital many times and one thing I hate is how everyone is up your butt all the time.

There its dark and quiet and your kinda on your own, especially at nights. I loved it.

My inscisions never hurt at all and they have healed perfectly. I cant imagaine these will be scars i will ever notice, no amongst all my streech marks.

They had plenty of meds for every kind of reason and they stayed on top of it. I suffer alot of pain and they more than covered it, I was very gratefull.

My IV wasnt done right and the meds infiltrated my arm and my arm was swollen for days with meds in it.. but worse things coulda happened.

I winced in pain every time they put some meds in and I said it stung, but when they tried to look I told them I was just a big baby, well they started to say I was sensitive and I agreed.. in hindsight I was being stupid and too affraid of them messing with my IV.. I cant stand getting one, I feel violated everytime.. anyway, it was my fault..

I was still puking up little sips of Water by the time i went home, but after a couple days at home I was fine.

I was never told about my band. Like what kind it is, how big it is and the fill capacity and all that.. All I recall is Dr. Ortiz saying his cell phone was always available to me and to come back in 6 weeks for a fill.

I been real scared that I am having problems. Prolly cuz this site, sites so many..lol.. We will see on April 20th, my first fill with flouro... I think its all OK.. I HOPE SO!

Hey Roc, your ticker works.

Hey Penni and Big Daddy, I had a catheter too, "keeps the surgical area clean..." was how it was explained. Not my first catheter (2 C-sects) but I was happy to get it out. Yuck, just the thought...

So I made it to Tijuana and back with no problems. Everything went beautifully, surgery was great and I'm home and healing. Going to Mx wasn't what I expected, in many ways it was better, in that the wheels moved smoothly and I got what I paid for. In some ways, I can't believe I up and went to a foreign country and gave up every right I might have as a US citizen to have major surgery...still seems like a really dumb idea and I can't believe I did it, but it really did turn out fine and I'm happy with my experience. Dr Kuri is a lovely man and has his Lap Band practice fine tuned and does an awesome job. If this helps anyone, my sister went with me and was very leery, now she wants to go back at my 6 week fill and have the surgery herself.

well, I really really wanted a board bout this. I was even going to post one if thier wasnt. Ok basically heres what happened when I went to Mexico for my surgery. Bare in mind, Ive been through two down there, as my partner Dawn (newly signed up here yay!) had hers 2 years prior to mine a week ago. Ok here goes.

As we drove the 3 hours from our home to the border, we arrived a half an hour early to our meeting time (11:00am). They told us to park in a local paid lot, and we eagerly awaited our ride to the clinic. We called marlon (the patient coordinator) on the phone, and he told us that someone would be by to pick us up as soon as they were able to get through the border. We decided to go sit at the mexicoach entrance, and wait. We were talking back and forth about our various worries, when a lady behind us said "excuse me, but are you going to mexico for shopping? or.." We said "No, actually Im having surgery down there". She then explained that her husband had just had his surgery by doctor kuri the day previous, and she had just had a baloon put in. They started asking my partner about her surgery experiances, her weight loss and such. We talked for awhile, assured her and her husband we hand'nt personally heard many bad things about Dr. Kuri, and they were set to leave.

We were picked up by tony about 10 minutes later. Tony was a doll. He was very sweet, and helped us with our bags and me into the car (I took the help to be polite, eventhough I really didnt need it...it was sweet.) We drove to the clinic on revelucion ave, and I got out and walked in. The clinic was being remodled, and looked 10000 times better than it previously did. They took me back, gave me an xray, and ekg, blood tests, councelling, ect and finally I was on my way. My partner had been complaining that she wasnt having the same restriction, and could nearly eat as she was able to before. They asked if she wanted a fill as they were already going to have to take a patient over, and she said yes. I followed her over, and got to watch the fill proceedure. It looked scary..but she said it didnt hurt. So! off to the hospital for me now..

We arrived at the hospital. If I had not previously viewed it, I probably would have lost it...On the outside, the building is dirty, discolored, and well not what you would expect. On the inside..the floors shined and sparkled. We went inside and they showed me to my room. I was happy about having this room, as it was large and private. It was comfortable for both myself and my partner. Tony came in and introduced me to the nurse. She was nice..They told me to change into the hospital gowns..I did. They didnt even begin to cover me..and I wondered how much harder of a time some of the other patients had with this as well. I decided not to be modest..and tony came back in and the nurse put those special socks on my legs. Problem being..I have some of the hugest calf's I have ever seen myself, and she had some of the longest fingernails ever. The two didn't mesh well..lets just say OUCH!!!!!!

Finally the socks were on. The nurse came in and asked if I was ready for my

"two margaritas" I laughed. She administered, I felt dizzy and happy. They wheeled me down to the O.R, and with someone who has panic disorder, I thought it would be a bit of a fight to get me there...those "margaritas" must have helped. They put me on the bed, and I turned to the anesthesiologist and told him how scared I was. He said in perfect english "No need to be afriad, you'll be out before you know it". He asked me to count down..10...9..........8......SNOOOOOREEEEEEEE!

;) (See The doctor and Dawn) :D Oh its dawn again...AM I DEAD??? Dawn laughs and says "No, kendra your fine". She asks if I feel ok or if im in pain. I say "NO!! SEE!!!" and proceed to pat myself fiercely on the stomach whilst giggling a bit insanely. She laughs and grabs my hands to get me to stop. The doctors come in, make sure Im ok and leave.

The next few days are filled with lots of medication, sleeping, and attempting to walk to and from the bathroom. They also asked that I shower, which I did.

I was released to tony the next day. I tried to talk them into letting me go home, as I was fine..but no go. I started to get angry, and my partner started to cry while we were in the hotel, because she felt as though we were stranded. We walked down to the lobby, got some juice, and some food for her. No one had even offered to take her to get something to eat while we were down there. Thats one complaint I have. They ask you bring someone, yet little attention is paid to the companion. We did..I fell asleep that night watching HBO..At least it was never ending movies to occupy your time down there.

Tony drove us across the border that next day..and we left for home. It was good to be back.

Now, Im not going to try and direct anyone towards mexico. I think delarla put it best, when she said it is a gamble. You must be aware..reguardless mexico does not have half the protection of patients in the united states. Ive heard of cases of old medications being used and a patient going into a coma (happened when my partner had her surgery) and even switching records. This happened to my partner. They got the charts mixed, gave her an anti axiety medication and thought she was there for an amputation. Andres the patient co-ordinator joked with Dawns uncle that there would be a skinny guy with a lap-band and a fat girl with no leg. (YES..this really happened.)

Though it was cleared up fast, things still do happen. She has had no complications with her surgery, and I haven't so far..but they can happen. I say research, research, research! Make sure you know everything you can before doing this..and NEVER be afraid to ask your doctor questions.

Nykee and Kendra, thank you SO much for your honest posts. I swear, I get really worried about people that boast and brag about Mexico without adding in the dangers. Many people are elated with their experiences, but like Kathy said, you give up all your rights when you go to a foreign country. This isn't a decision to be made lightly based on a few happy camper stories.

Nykee, your IV story is common. I've heard a lot of stories with IV problems in Mexico. My IV was all bloody at one point, and Francesca's IV got all inflamed (I had Lopez, she had Ortiz.) During my port replacement the nurse couldn't even find my veins, and they only used gloves about half the time.

I like to think that things will improve with so many American patients going there, but for now, the standards fall far below what we are used to in the United States.

Great thread.

Guess I'll share a little more of my Mexico story, since I've found reading others so interesting. We (my girlfriend and I) were picked up at the airport--they sent a driver holding a sign with our names on it. We arrived Saturday morning. We were taken to a very clean modern lab to have blood tests. Then to a different location for x-rays and ultrasound. That's when they discovered I had gall bladder stones, and offered to take my gall bladder out at the same time to save me from future attacks and additional surgery--no extra charge. They showed me my stones on the ultrasound screen. (No telling how long I would have gone on in the USA not knowing I had stones. My HMO does NO extra tests--believe me!). After all these preliminary tests were done, Andres took us out to eat--his treat--at a wonderful Mexican restaurant with another lady from California who had brought her friend to the clinic previously, and was down to do some filming. The margaritas were like nothing I've ever tasted in the US! I don't even like the regular lime ones in the US, and usually have peach ones here, but these were something else! Next day was surgery day. The van picked us up at the (gorgeous) hotel we were staying in. Here's the bummer--we were fasting food and Water from midnight on, and there were delays getting us in to surgery. And then more delays. No one is in a hurry in Mexico. They expect you to be as patient, and used to this, as they are. Anyway, my girlfriend and I were in a nice double hospital room with a glass partition between us. They hooked us up to IV's so we wouldn't get dehydrated waiting. They took my girlfriend 1st, since her surgery would be shortest (band only), and then me next after they brought her back to the room. I was in surgery an hour longer than she was, to take out my gall bladder, so more gas pumped in me--yuk. I hate that feeling! First night we slept there in the hospital, and yes--they let you sleep all night long. Not like American hospitals in that way. Next morning they took us back to the hotel. The 1st night we had shared a hotel room, but this time we asked for 2 rooms. It was up to us, and they were paying. We got more sleep this way--weren't waking each other up. We had kinda hoped to feel good enough to go shopping (they were going to take us) the next day, but . . I wasn't up to it, that's for sure. Anytime we needed juice, gatorade, Jello, whatever we called Andres and he came over or sent someone with it. Both nights I needed pain shot and gas shot to sleep, and he came over with his male nurse who was excellent with a needle, and gave me what I needed. Pretty nice. When it was time to head for home they handled everything--sent a driver to get us, told us how much time to allow for traffic waits at the border, dropped us off right at our airline. Andres gave a lot of emotional support--still does. And going with a friend made all the difference too. My girlfriend and I had both travelled, and were aware that we weren't going to be in Kansas any more. :0) That helped too. Thanks for letting me share.

Hi,

I'm scheduled to have the band done in late April here but cannot find anyone thus far who has been to them...

They say they've done over 600 lapband surgeries...

Any feedback?

Thanks so much,

Paula

Paula, who is your Mexican surgeon? It's not the hospital that does the surgery, it's the surgeon. The surgeons can use a variety of facilities. Maybe different doctors use that hospital you mentioned? Just curious.

Rebecca, I had a great Mexican experience for my first surgery, as well. I just got screwed around when complications set in. I was cared for very well in Mexico for my band surgery. However, the country does go to sleep at night, so when I needed my surgeon in the middle of the night, I had to wait till the next day. I had a horrible bronchial infection, and there was nothing they could do till the next day, so I never slept at all. In the US, there's always a doctor on call. I had nurses tending to me all night, but no doctor in sight. And the nurses there are so much more loving and caring.

Thanks Nykee! So interesting to compare experiences. We're neighbors, you know. I'm in Hillsboro, Oregon. I think you are in Southern Oregon, is that right? Maybe I'll get to meet you someday . .

The cathader hurt like Hell though. It was my first time with a cathader.

Well thats ALMOST a deal blower... Uggg. ive put in hundreds but never had one.

Anyway hello all, im researching the procedure.

Thanks for all the input into the site. its becoming a GREAT help. Now if i can just put the docs names with their clinics/cities it would be great.

David

I was banded by Dr Ortiz in TJ on 6/2/05 and have had no problems. I thought the doctors were very professional and really seemed to know what they're doing.

The overnight stay... well... that left a little to be desired. The nurses are sweet but speak hardly ANY English. After drinking a glass of apple juice I pb'd on myself and could not get through to her what "wet towel" meant. I finally hobbled to the bathroom, carrying my IV (I had to take it off the rack because there are STAIRS in the bathroom) to clean myself up. Then my IV got glogged with about 6 inches of blood in the bottom of the tube. When she saw this, the nurse tried to PUSH IT BACK into my hand. When I said "OUCH!" she said, "That's okay..." to which I said, "No, it isn't--STOP that!" After my insistence she disconnected the tube and this long snake of obviously coagulated blood came out. My hand was bruised for almost 2 weeks.

But my BIGGEST problem with the after care was that they kept putting drugs in my IV (for pain, and then for sleep) and when I asked WHAT the drugs were they just say, "something for pain" or "something for sleep." The next day during follow-up I did tell Dr. Ortiz that I think people should be told what drugs they are being given. He dissagreed with this saying one should trust their doctor and the people who work for him. He was pretty vehement about this & was obviously not wanting to hear such a complaint so I didn't go into the IV thing and how I didn't feel all that comfortable with the aftercare nurses. But even if I didn't, I absolutely think people should be informed about what is being put into their bodies and I will let him know this when I go in for a fill.

On the plus side... both Dr Otiz & Dr Martinez are quite handsome. Hey, a fat old lady's got to enjoy what she can!

Oh... one more thing for anyone who goes to Dr Ortiz, whatever they mean by "5 Star Hotel" on his site certainly isn't my idea of a 5 Star Hotel. Perhaps TJ standards are different. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly nice hotel, but FIVE STAR??? No way. (Be sure to ask for a room facing the pool as TJ is not the prettiest city to overlook.)