Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback on Mexico - Share your stories.

Kathy, you get five gold stars for your excellent attidude, research and preparation! Newbies will learn from you. The most important thing you said is the same way I felt when I originally went to Mexico, which was the feeling of giddy excitement. If I had any fear or creepy feelings, I would never have gone. Go with your gut.

Kuri removed my infected port a month after my initial surgery. He didn't care who I was or if I had any money, and he never even asked for an ID. He looked at the tube sticking out of the infected wound and put me on a bed. Afterwards, I offered him $500 cash but he told me to send it when I had it, so I mailed a check 6 months later. Kuri's only concern is healthy patients. When a doctor removes your port, the tube is clamped and left inside. I was extremely impressed with his surgical skills, and I feel bad for not remember the name of his lovely female assistant, who cleaned the heck out of my insides to get every last bit of infection before sewing me up with neater stitches than I can do on my machine. The problem was that he was supposed to shove the tube into my abdominal cavity, but instead they left it right underneath the new incision, which had been the problem incision all along. In the last month, at least 4 surgeons told me it's totally common knowledge that tube so close to a wound would prevent it from closing, and nobody can figure out why someone so experienced as Kuri did that. Like I said, maybe he had some reason, but it cost me 7 months of aggravation, heartache, sadness, etc.

There's a current conversation about Kuri on the Vegas boards, and the biggest problem people have is waiting up to 5 hours after their appointment time for fills (he schedules 40 patients at a time according to something I read this week, and he's always late, 2 hours late once.) But what does it tell you when patients go flooding to him? They must love him, right? When you are laying on a surgical gurney, intimidated by the lights, scrubs, equipment, tubes, etc., and you look up and see his warm caring eyes peeping through that yellow smiley face hat, it really puts you at ease.

Hi Kathy,

It's funny you should say "stop telling them". I also started my statement that I was going to San Diego, but my big-mouthed husband throws in TJ. He got it later for that, but he is one of the ones that is against it.

I am so grateful for all the feedback on this site. Thanks again everyone :)

There's a current conversation about Kuri on the Vegas boards, and the biggest problem people have is waiting up to 5 hours after their appointment time for fills (he schedules 40 patients at a time according to something I read this week, and he's always late, 2 hours late once.) But what does it tell you when patients go flooding to him? They must love him, right? When you are laying on a surgical gurney, intimidated by the lights, scrubs, equipment, tubes, etc., and you look up and see his warm caring eyes peeping through that yellow smiley face hat, it really puts you at ease.

I didn't have Dr. Kuri as my surgeon, but I see him for my fills because he's closer than my original surgeon. I didn't know about his 'procedure' for his fill appointments so it was rather a shock, but now that I know, it's no big deal. When you call for a fill, the appointment is always at 1pm. Everyone gathers up and then he shows up and blasts through us all in about an hour. I don't think I've seen 40 people there, but I've only been there twice. The first time he was like a half hour late, but he really gets through people fast. He takes time with people if he needs to, but most it's just swallow, fill, swallow, see ya later!

just my 2 cents on the fill process for Dr. Kuri. :)

We were both banded in July last year. I chise Mexico for a variety of reasons - number one I lived there once and have a great respect for the people and culture and I have freinds who went to school with my surgeon and knew him and they would have let him opreate on their children.

I also believe that the US is not always the font of all knowledge that many people believe.

My mother in law could not get banded in US because of her age 61 (no one over 60 allowed- even if paying cash at that time no matter what her bmi & other stuff)

Personally I have done great and continue to loose. I have had one fill- I returned to Mexico for it, but we have follow up care here. It is getting more reasonable and the costs are droping here to make it more reasonable to afford here.

I know people have lots of problems there tto- but our follow up guy here has about the same numbers of reported infections, etc. (at least if you trust the inamed stats) so I don't know if it is worse or not.

Good luck and good loosing

My mother in law could not get banded in US because of her age 61 (no one over 60 allowed- even if paying cash at that time no matter what her bmi & other stuff)

Jane, is this something your MIL was told by a particular doctor? I'm sure there have been people over 60 operated on here--even Medicare covers WLS.

I just recently (only 10 days ago) had my lap band surgery in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. My experince far exceeded all my expectations. I was so impressed with all the care I received. I am a Licensed Nurse by profession and I have never received better care EVER, than what I received in Mexico. I did alot of research of the surgeons before I chose Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. If you have done your research and you feel totoally confortable with your choice, then don't worry about what others say to you. It is very common to get a "shocked" or negative reaction from people. I believe that most of these people only react out of things that they have heard or because they saw something on some movie. They have a lack of education, and do not know all the facts. If you are sure of your choice then dont ask their opinion, just TELL them what you are doing, and why. Don't allow negative feedback to effect you, because if you allow it, it will. I know that I made the best choice of my life. I wish you all the best of luck, but I know that you wont need it!

Since the USDA guidelines for their trials was 18 to 60 all of our local band doc will not operate on less than 60.

FYI- you don't have to be 65 to get medicare.

They are just usually the most common. They even have a code for pregnancy and tubal ligation and other typically thought of "younger person" woes.

There are two ways I know of this can happen. First reason is that is at this point say Eric (my dh) died. My children can be eligible to purchase or receive depending on the child medicare because of their disability and under age 18 status. (under survivor benefits- part of ssa) also if you actually get disability as part of the ssa then you can purchase medicare as your coverage also. (because you usually can't get insurance on your own)

But the official USDA approval was for under age 60 to age 18. Doesn't mean doctors in US won't do it, just not the ones we contacted and since no insurance benfit coverage anyways she tagged along with me to Mexico.

****Side note. I took my whole family- dh, and three chidren age 3 and under at that point. We had a great time and they were very accomadating. The hotel was terriffic and We loved the whole experieince. But I lived in Sothern Mexico for a while so I have a different perspective than some and no problem accepting the doctors credintials and such. I also believe I would rather have a great mexican surgeon than a US one that graduated last and squeaked by just becasue he is here in US.

Thanks for the info, Jane. I am aware that you don't have to be over 65 to get Medicare, yes. I do know that it has paid for banding for people over 60, though, so it's not an exclusion due to age.

BUt each banding practice makes their own choice. Just like doctors can prescribe a medicine for off market use. (IE- i take glucophage to help me with my PCOS symptoms of insulin resitance and other issues at using my hormones correctly, however it was not researched for this, some doctors will give it to anyone trying for a baby with other drugs since it makes you more sensitive for its use. But that is up to each doctor. But the original FDA approval was for people 18 to less than 60. So in theory if they want to exclude someone due to age- they can and our local one does (though he will fill her)

Insurance may also seize on this as a reason not to pay since it "hasn't been tested in this market". (cause we all know that they love to pay for as little as possible- like the rest of us)

Medicare also pays stuff differently depending on where you live and what region or plan you have. (jist like bcbs may pay in Maryland, but not in Missouri). Same with medicaid.

Guest BigDaddy216

Dr. Huacuz did my surgery at the Molding Clinic. They were very professional, and I feel fine!

I was banded on March 2nd by Dr. Ortiz. The experience was great. I loved everyone I dealt with and the facilities were excellent! I had a very smooth recovery and my scars are excellent. Its only a month out and the only one I can find is the port scar and that's just about an inch long very faint pink line!! Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez will take as much time as you need to talk and they are both available on their cell phones at all times. It is very important to do research and feel comfortable on who you are using. I found Dr. Ortiz's book "Lap-Band for Life" helpful also, both before and after the surgery.

Monica

Guest BigDaddy216

I went to the Molding clinic, Andres Bettancort was the patient coordinator. I was suprised at how good of an experience it was. I guess the thing was most interesting to me is that I've now only had two operations, the lap band, and I had an ACL replacement from a martial arts engagement/fight/stupid mess-up. When I came out of the ACL surgery, and into recovery there was one nurse for three people. When I came out of the lap band surgery, there were 3 doctors, two nurses, my wife and Andres. As they saw that I was ok then they started drifting off to do important "Doctor stuff," but they at least wanted to make sure there were no screw-ups in their particular area. The surgeon and the anetheseologist[sic] left thir numbers with my wife and said that they kept their cell phones on all night after they do surgery. Fortunately I did not have to find out. I was discharged early the next day, and a doctor saw me for the next two days at my hotel room. It was incredibly easy. The cathader hurt like Hell though. It was my first time with a cathader.

I too had my surgery at the Molding Clinic. I love them! Andres, the patient coordinator, becomes your best friend and the doctor is sooo attentive. They all are. I was in the clinic the first night, with a nurse by my side constantly, and spent the next two nights in a gorgeous hotel recovering with daily visits from the doctor. I have had port issues, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it all over again with the same staff. They have been there for me every step of the way.

Melissa! BigDaddy! So interesting to hear from others who were at the Molding Clinic. Yes--Andres is the best. And that hotel! Nicest I've ever stayed in--bathrooms sparkled, the sheets so white they hurt your eyes. Marble, glass and palm trees. Room service til 2 a.m. In case you need juice or Jello. :0) The doctors were very caring. There were a few cultural adjustments--things move slower there. You do have to roll with the punches--probably going mid-week is better. The weekends are their busiest time and things can get postponed. My girlfriend and I are planning to find airline bargains and fly down for our fill. Will cost less there, even with the flight and motel added in! Hey, and then we can go shopping! Lovely to hear from all of you.

Rebecca, I was there when you were. Getting a fill. And YES, you are definally NOT on much of a schedule! How are you doing anyway? I'm planning on going back the end of May to have my port put back in. I found a heck of a deal on airfare (i love it when that happens!)