Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feedback on Mexico - Share your stories.

Guest cathyc

I have to agree that no accredited doctor in Mexico or anywhere would do lap band surgery on someone not needing. That is why there is another doctor's opinion other than the surgeon. I don't know about other surgeons but Dr. Kuri requires a physical be performed and approved before surgery is done. I know Dr. Peterson has sent several people home because they did not pass the physical.

I have seen other shows on TV where the interviewer only shows one side and that is usually the negative. If an interviewer would attend one of Dr. Kuri's fills they would see a lot of positive information.

Ok I am also done venting.

It's just another ploy to get people afraid of going to other doctors besides those in the United States. If people really looked into it, the reason why surgery and other services are high is due to the malpractice suits here in the US. Mexico does have their problems but those in bariatric surgery are professionals not some hack job wannabe. I think the US wants us to just fear anything that is not within our own borders, yet some of the problems that plague people today come within our borders. Do your homework whether its in the US or international. :)

Dr. Lopez did a 13 year old the same day as me. I considered her chubby and was shocked her parents didn't wait till she was at least 18 or even 16.

I don't think the show was too far-fetched. Here at LBT we only hear of the top Mexican doctors that would never band a skinny girl. But for anyone that's ever spent time in Tijuana, they'll do almost anything for a chunk of American cash. There are doctors in TJ that will write prescriptions for anything if you slip them $20.00. I was never asked for an ID during my 2nd port removal and nobody ever spelled my name the same twice.

I had to fly back to Mexico for emergency port removal. Dr. Kuri was wonderful, but all the Mexican doctors work out of a variety of facilities. The place I was at looked like it doubled for the DMV. Nobody asked me for any identification. A very sweet nun came and took me to Kuri, who took a peek at my wound then got me into the operating room. Even though the surgery suite had 2 doorways, neither one of them had doors, so anyone walking around the halls could sneeze (or worse) practically into your open surgical site.

Kuri was wonderful, but scary things go on in TJ. Chicks sexing it up with burrows for the price of a few pesos, but the government allows it, for example. Federales pull Americans over, and either you bribe them with cash or you go to jail. Don't be fooled just because you have a really great surgeon because the fact remains that you're still in Tijuana, Mexico.

Primadonah,

I saw that episode of Grey's Anatomy. (The one you saw was a repeat, I believe). They of course have to go for the dramatic--it's Hollywood. And like you said, the girl's problem was trying to please her mom who just couldn't be pleased no matter what. I thought it was an interesting show. (They had the teen going to Mexico just so her parents wouldn't know. Though a more common reason is financial).

Overall it's a great show! Can't wait until new episodes start up in the fall. They left us on a bit of a cliffhanger . .

Hi Rebecca,

I'm glad I didn't see it before I had my surgery. I probably would have been scared off from going to Mexico....Nah... I would have still taken my chances

What was the name of your hotel? The hotel I used was called the Lucerna.

It diffinately was a top of the line hotel.

I had surgery almost a year ago with Dr. Lopez. Yes, I agree that the nurses need to speak English if they are going to continue doing so much American Business. I just heard from a friend that went to Dr. Lopez a few weeks ago that they had a nurse or office staff there all the time who spoke English well. Maybe this point is getting across at last?

I like many others on the site don't know how to speak Spanish. I used Belighter to find me a good doctor. I think he is a good surgeon, but Belighter was horrible. They made it almost impossible for me to communicate with his office for aftercare. Once I stopped trying to use them to schedule appointments, everything ran smoothly. I have had 4 fills in the past year and each one has been well done.

Almost fell off my chair with the border story! Tooo funny!

Banded 4/2/05

Dr Huacuz, TJ MX

Great experience

Down 40 lbs and counting..

g

My Mexico experience was great also. I have never felt like a doctor was so accessible in my life. My doc is about 8 hours away by car and so I return to him for fills. He works on Saturdays. :( I also have his cell phone number.

I do agree you are taking a risk when you go out of the country. But Mexico is not some gross, dirty place with "witchdoctors" perfoming surgery without anesthetic.

Really, I prayed and prayed and got a really good feeling about having surgery in Mexico and it turned out great.

IKuri was wonderful, but scary things go on in TJ. Chicks sexing it up with burrows for the price of a few pesos, but the government allows it, for example. Federales pull Americans over, and either you bribe them with cash or you go to jail. Don't be fooled just because you have a really great surgeon because the fact remains that you're still in Tijuana, Mexico.

Well that goes with it being a border town. and with some strange stereotypical fear people have of the unfamilar. I have been to Tijuana (driving myself) many many times and stay away from the "tourist" spots and the red light district. Sure, it's a different culture. I have been to and lived in Europe too and it has a different "flavor" too.

I have never had a problem with federales or anyone else. My Spanish is okay but I know several Mexicans who can and do translate for me when I am totally lost. The doctor who discovered and is treating my high blood pressure was a Mexican doctor. For the life of me I can't figure out why it was not discovered by my American doctor. Well imagine the egg on the American doc's face when he realized that he failed to diagnose high blood pressure in a 400# black woman. Come on now! Both of my doctors recommended lapband surgery and both are pleased with the choice I have made in Dr. Huacuz.

Just my two cents.

Go for it!!! I did and I wouldn't change a thing !!! DR Kuri and his staff should give AMERICAN DOCTORS A LESSON IN BEDSIDE MANNERS , AND TELL THEM THEY AREN"T GODS!!! STOP WITH THE "I"M A DOCTOR I WALK ON Water I CAN"T CHARGE A HEAP MORE AND THE INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL PAY!! Go to the experts,the ones who are coming to the States and teaching the arragant Doctors how the perform the lapband and as for the woman who post "people who defend Mexican Drs. get free fills" Do you think just maybe your infection was your fault and not the DR's?? Something to think about and stop bashing the "Mexican DRS."

Girlfriend you had me cracking up!!! I guess it's like me going to the rural south!!! have to watch out for the white sheets!!!

Well that goes with it being a border town. and with some strange stereotypical fear people have of the unfamilar. I have been to Tijuana (driving myself) many many times and stay away from the "tourist" spots and the red light district. Sure, it's a different culture. I have been to and lived in Europe too and it has a different "flavor" too.

I have never had a problem with federales or anyone else. My Spanish is okay but I know several Mexicans who can and do translate for me when I am totally lost. The doctor who discovered and is treating my high blood pressure was a Mexican doctor. For the life of me I can't figure out why it was not discovered by my American doctor. Well imagine the egg on the American doc's face when he realized that he failed to diagnose high blood pressure in a 400# black woman. Come on now! Both of my doctors recommended lapband surgery and both are pleased with the choice I have made in Dr. Huacuz.

Just my two cents.

Your racist mind is showing my dear I think you need to check yourself..honestly where the hell are you from??and when are you heading back!!!! :) You are one foolish woman!!! and I guess you saw the woman with your own blue eyes huh???

I had to fly back to Mexico for emergency port removal. Dr. Kuri was wonderful, but all the Mexican doctors work out of a variety of facilities. The place I was at looked like it doubled for the DMV. Nobody asked me for any identification. A very sweet nun came and took me to Kuri, who took a peek at my wound then got me into the operating room. Even though the surgery suite had 2 doorways, neither one of them had doors, so anyone walking around the halls could sneeze (or worse) practically into your open surgical site.

Kuri was wonderful, but scary things go on in TJ. Chicks sexing it up with burrows for the price of a few pesos, but the government allows it, for example. Federales pull Americans over, and either you bribe them with cash or you go to jail. Don't be fooled just because you have a really great surgeon because the fact remains that you're still in Tijuana, Mexico.