Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dietition says if I dont follow diet..........

She said if I dont follow the 2 week diet, the surgeon may get started and thenn close me up. Is this true? or a scare tatic? I am following the diet and am loosing weight ....... I just cant imagine they could do that.

surg. 4/15/08

My Surgeon said he had to close someone up before because her liver was too large. You should be fine. You are following the pre op diet.

My Surgeon said he had to close someone up before because her liver was too large. You should be fine. You are following the pre op diet.

Bingo. The size of the liver has a LOT to do with the surgeon's decision to continue with the surgery or not.

There have been many threads concerning this very subject. And yes, I have read where surgeons have begun surgery and determined it too dangerous to try to move their patient's liver. From what I've read, there is then the possibility that the surgeon will do an "open surgery", so instead of four small laproscopic incisions, you are totally cut open.

Here's my belief: the surgeon is the leader and must be followed to the letter. The amount of time you are restricted in your eating, drinking is so little in comparison to the rest of your life, why take any chances--he's the professional and getting paid for it! Just keep on track, kiddo, and you'll do just fine... ^_^

She said if I dont follow the 2 week diet, the surgeon may get started and thenn close me up. Is this true? or a scare tatic? I am following the diet and am loosing weight ....... I just cant imagine they could do that.

surg. 4/15/08

It's not a scare tactic some surgeons will close you up and not complete the surgery.

They have medical reasons that they do this... it's for your safety.

It's possible, they could cancel your surgery or opt to do you open (cut wide open, not laparoscopic).

The main purpose of the pre-op diet is to reduce the size of your liver. If the surgeon gets in there and it is not reduced enough, s/he may not be able to proceed.

My surgery is on the 17th, my Dr. also put me on a 2 week diet. But I know that some Dr. just make you do a 2 or 3 day fasting diet of pure liquids.. I have not done well the past week have have had pizza twice and a small bag of chips. I think I will do the 3 day liquid diet on my last days, just because I have cheated so much. What do you think??

I think the pre-op diet depends on your weight and BMI. At least that's how it is for my Doctor.

I have a very high BMI and I had to lose enough weight to get it under 50.

I think that people who have less than 100 pounds to lose don't have to go through the 4 weeks low calorie/low fat diet I'm going through.

I've been on it for 4 weeks, almost 5 and it's 4 weeks until I'm banded. I'm under 50 BMI now, so anything I lose is gravy. Low fat, low starch. low calorie gravy! :thumbup:

I am just at the cut off for the BMI 38% I am 5'3" and 205.. What do you think about doing just the 3 day liquid diet, instead of the 2 weeks of slim fast and cottage cheese??

I think you should have followed your doctor's orders the whole time.

This is a major surgical process leading up to a major lifechange. Why would you even cheat during this time?

Just MHO.

- jen

Because I feel so anxious about not having anything in my stomach.

Also on my final appointment I meet a girl in the waiting room that had her surgery a week prior and she said that she had cheated until 2 days before the surgery. So I think that is why I have been able to let myself cheat so easily.

Also on my final appointment I meet a girl in the waiting room that had her surgery a week prior and she said that she had cheated until 2 days before the surgery. So I think that is why I have been able to let myself cheat so easily.

I'm sorry, but that's the crappiest piece of logic I've heard in a while.

well my surgeon said no prop diet. Just for people with 50 or more

bmi. I have a 44 bmi and I am 150 pounds over weight. So i have

been having a lot of last meals... I have started the 3 day clean out

fast and that is it....

My doctor does this for a living... that is all he does.... has done over 800

maybe 900.... You should be using a doctor that has done this a lot...

A real expreienced doctor would not think that you could go without food.

Hello, that is why your having the surgery because you cant control how much you eat... If you could then there would be no need for the surgery.. The dietician will also tell you that you cant have any alchol ever and that you cant ever have a soda again either...

We have to help each other thru all this. Is there any one you can see or call locally to talk to privately and get help? I feel for you and we all know that we will be challenged through this pre-op all the way until death. We are here to feel better and look better and be free to live a good life for our ourselves and our family. I am scared and talk to myself alot to get thru this. I need this and it is the last option for me. Please try your best to do as the doctor asks and as soon as you see yourself in despair call the nurse and talk to her.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches