Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forgot to mention I take Alli

My surgery date is April 23rd and I just realized that I have still been taking Alli (I am almost finished with the container) and didn't mention it to my Dr. Has anyone discussed this with their Dr? Does it make a difference? ;)

My surgery date is April 23rd and I just realized that I have still been taking Alli (I am almost finished with the container) and didn't mention it to my Dr. Has anyone discussed this with their Dr? Does it make a difference? ;)

Call and ask your surgeon they will tell you whether to stop taking it... Whats good for one person might not be good for another.

Please STOP taking it NOW! My surgery was cancelled last Fri due to diet pills. The anesthesia reacts to the ingredients and can cause heart arythmias and spikes in your blood pressure, leading to cardiac arrest. My surgeon did not know, they put me on it pre op. It wasnt till my preop hospital appt that the anesthesia Dr put the brakes on. I now go in Thurs instead of last week. You have to be off of it 10-14 days before surgery.

I have been on xenical (which is Alli but 3x stronger ) I stopped taking them when I started my 2 week pre-op diet. I told my weight loss center about it and they said it wouldnt be a problem for my surgery. I think the person whom had their surgery cancelled was probably on phentermine (a stimulant) Xenical/Alli has no effect on your nervous system. Good Luck.

My surgery date is April 23rd and I just realized that I have still been taking Alli (I am almost finished with the container) and didn't mention it to my Dr. Has anyone discussed this with their Dr? Does it make a difference? :rolleyes2:

hello yvonneb3, i recommend telling your surgeon about ANY AND ALL meds u are taking to be safe. u don't wanna mess around with anesthesia.

I have been on xenical (which is Alli but 3x stronger ) I stopped taking them when I started my 2 week pre-op diet. I told my weight loss center about it and they said it wouldnt be a problem for my surgery. I think the person whom had their surgery cancelled was probably on phentermine (a stimulant) Xenical/Alli has no effect on your nervous system. Good Luck.

Very true I was on phentermine, however, anesthesia stated it made no difference what I was taking, that any diet pill whether RX or OTC was not allowed before surgery. ALLI was on that list of meds that would cancel surgery. They showed me a whole list of meds that would be grounds for cancelling. Phentermine just happened to be the #1 on the list. ALLI was #9.

Wow excellent info.. I stopped my phentermine last week due to your post, and I guess I will have to stop taking my Xenical as well.. like u said better to be safe than sorry... Thanks for the heads up..

I've been taking Xenical too (stronger version than alli) and my doctor is totally aware and did not mention me stopping... Of course my surgery is not until May.

Shannon

My surgery is next friday and my surgeon and nutritionist didn't say that I should stop alli.