Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Charlis Lap Band Journey, Perth

Well.... i just went and saw my GP to ask him for a refferal to see Dr Dolan to get Lap Band surgery done, i needed the refferal so it can be covered by Medicare as i do not have Private Health Insurance. He gave me one so YAY ! lol i just called Joondulup Health Campus to book my appoinment to see Dr Dolan which will be on Wed 21st of May, to my dissapoinment though the receptionist told me that the minimum waiting period for the surgery is 18 months, i would have loved that i could have got it sooner but i guess i cant be piccy. damn it :cool:

im one step closer just gotta hang in there and be patient lol

:purplebananna:

Good luck on your journey. I waited 12 months for private health insurance to kick in so I kind of know how you feel with the waiting

Well.... i just went and saw my GP to ask him for a refferal to see Dr Dolan to get Lap Band surgery done, i needed the refferal so it can be covered by Medicare as i do not have Private Health Insurance. He gave me one so YAY ! lol i just called Joondulup Health Campus to book my appoinment to see Dr Dolan which will be on Wed 21st of May, to my dissapoinment though the receptionist told me that the minimum waiting period for the surgery is 18 months, i would have loved that i could have got it sooner but i guess i cant be piccy. damn it :cool:

im one step closer just gotta hang in there and be patient lol

:purplebananna:

May I ask how much you have to lose, i had to do it privately as my doctor told me that could not have it done unless obese obese as 300kg to lose , and friends also were told the same, I am wondering if it has changed recently, did he say anything about the lose skin after? Can you please ask?as me and my friends were told had to pay for all ourselves> Many Many Many thanx.

May I ask how much you have to lose, i had to do it privately as my doctor told me that could not have it done unless obese obese as 300kg to lose , and friends also were told the same, I am wondering if it has changed recently, did he say anything about the lose skin after? Can you please ask?as me and my friends were told had to pay for all ourselves> Many Many Many thanx.

Hi Slimmy

I have to lose around 50kgs, how long ago did you go to your doctor to ask this. My BMI is 42.9. My Dr gave me the refferal but it is still up to the Dr who does the surgery.

As far as i know Medicare covering Lap Band surgery hasnt been aroud that long, but im not to sure. Maybe ask again or so another Dr.

My Dr didnt discuss the lose skin afterwards but im quite aware that im most probably going to have some and gotta tone up as much as i can during weightloss as with the band it is quite rapid.

I hope that answers your questions :lol:

Congrats! I have my first appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. I am going public as well, so really scared of the waiting time that I will face.

Now that the decision for wls has been made, I just want to get it over with and start my life:smile2:

Congrats! I have my first appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. I am going public as well, so really scared of the waiting time that I will face.

Now that the decision for wls has been made, I just want to get it over with and start my life:smile2:

well let us know how long u have to wait would love to know:)

I went to my gp in may 2007, then that when she told me medicare wouldnt cover me, and gave me list of doctors she recommended, The first doctor i could into was in sept, had it done 2 weeks later.So maybe the criteria may have changed would be interested in this as mum wants done.

Slimmy, if you pay private without health insurance it will cost between $9,000 to $20,000, depending on where abouts in Australia you are in and what Dr you see. For those in private health cover, the out of pocket expenses are betweeen $1,500 - $4,000 ish again depending on the Doctor and location.

As far as loose skin, that really depends on the individual, it helps if you loose slowly and excercise to tone as you go. Also depends on how much weight you loose. There is some belief in 'other' weight loss circles that if you drop your BMI low enough for at least a few months, then increase your weight eating good healthy food that you can get rid of the loose skin. I think it is too indidivual to say anything for definite.

However, the way I look at it is would I prefer to remain fat and unhealthy with ever increasing related medical problems or loose the weight and maybe have to deal with saggy skin that at the very least I can disguise inisde my clothes (at 37 I don't expect to wear a bikini ever again anyway!). So don't let the thought of loose skin stand in your way or sabotage your wl efforts, deal with it if and when it is a problem.

Slimmy, if you pay private without health insurance it will cost between $9,000 to $20,000, depending on where abouts in Australia you are in and what Dr you see. For those in private health cover, the out of pocket expenses are betweeen $1,500 - $4,000 ish again depending on the Doctor and location.

As far as loose skin, that really depends on the individual, it helps if you loose slowly and excercise to tone as you go. Also depends on how much weight you loose. There is some belief in 'other' weight loss circles that if you drop your BMI low enough for at least a few months, then increase your weight eating good healthy food that you can get rid of the loose skin. I think it is too indidivual to say anything for definite.

However, the way I look at it is would I prefer to remain fat and unhealthy with ever increasing related medical problems or loose the weight and maybe have to deal with saggy skin that at the very least I can disguise inisde my clothes (at 37 I don't expect to wear a bikini ever again anyway!). So don't let the thought of loose skin stand in your way or sabotage your wl efforts, deal with it if and when it is a problem.

Thank you for your response, been thinking yes i am getting older and when get to goal, so what if i dont look so crash hot without clothes on, but can wear the appropriate clothes and look good and at least feel good and healthy.

been a while since i been on here as i dnt have another appointment with Dr Dolan Pre Surgery until May, Hopefully then i will get a surgery date... have to quit smoking before May though as he said he will not do it if i dont....

i joined a health fund, and waited the 12 months untill i ws covered, it ended up costing me around $1,500 out of pocket, and my fills and follow ups are now covered by medicare, once i had the band,. the 12 months went by actually quite quickly. good luck to you all.

I also got health insurance just for this (will be keeping it after though). I too had to wait 12 months. At the end of that it will have cost me $1400 for insurance and $5,000 out of pocket for op verses $16,000 for op entirely. I think I win this one.

eh.. its me again, oviously still not banded but may is getting a lil bit closer .. very slowly.. which is when i go see Dr Dolan again, still havnt given up skoking yet.. ( typing with one in my hand right now.. oops...:tongue:.. just checking up on everyone seeing how its all going . still fingers crossed that i get a date in May.

Started seeing my ex again after a 6 month split things have been great except for recently things have been quite rocky, 2 very insecure ppl trying to make a relationship work get very difficult.

Anyway thats my update for now... see u all soon

Charli x

well well well... i have just returned from my 2nd appointment with dear Dr Dolan it turned out to be my post op appointment as i have now been given a surgery date of the 25th of june yayyyy!!!. i have bitten the bullet and no longer smoke yet i am on Patches still. Im so excited but very nervous as i was expecting a much longer waiting period but i think i am as ready as i could ever be. so now just counting down the days unless as Dr Dolan said " i come to my senses " and pull out. Its so noot guna happen lol. Cant describe how happy i am now im really looking forward to the future ..