Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a "nice" little visit to the ER tonight

So, up until tonight, I had been one of the lucky ones that has never experienced any band problems such as PBing or sliming, but not anymore. I had 2 eggs this morning for Breakfast and initially I was fine and then the pressure started builing and building. Two hours later I was in the bathroom sliming, but it wasn't easy I was having to force myself to slime because the pressure was that bad. I tried drinking a hot liquid and that didn't help but after a couple of hours the pressure was mostly gone. I thought it had passed and I would be fine, well by then it had been 6-7 hours since I had eaten and I was hungry so I ate half a Protein Bar and then the pressure starting building again. By 7pm it was so bad I couldn't take it anymore. I could barely even swallow my spit. My mom called my doc and he met me at the ER. He took all of the Fluid out and it was INSTANT relief. I feel so much better now. I go back to see him next week and he will start adding back the fluid a bit at a time.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me before today. I guess I am on liquids for the next few days but oh well at least the pressure is gone. For those of you that get stuck/pb/slime regularly, I don't know how you do it. I couldn't stand this. I am definitely going to have my doc add back the fluid very slowly.

PS I think my stress level had a lot to do with todays incident.

Just thought I would share.

That shoulds very scary and painful but glad to hear that you are fine now.

Did the doctor say what happened? Was it because the food wasn't passing through the band?

Take care!

Hi Jfran, that must have been very scary. Did the Dr say why that happened when it hasn't before? You wouldn't imagine eggs causing that much trouble. Glad you are ok now. Best of luck.

Saleel22

He didn't really have much of an explanation, but this past couple of weeks I have been super stressed out and I think it all contributed. Today was a particularly rough day because I had a test (which I did very badly on in part because I was having all of this pressure and couldn't concentrate), I also had a student meeting with the Dean of my college because he is "trying" to ax our program of study. So I think all of this plus the food getting stuck contributed. I am feeling much better though. Thanks for everyone's concern.

He didn't really have much of an explanation, but this past couple of weeks I have been super stressed out and I think it all contributed. Today was a particularly rough day because I had a test (which I did very badly on in part because I was having all of this pressure and couldn't concentrate), I also had a student meeting with the Dean of my college because he is "trying" to ax our program of study. So I think all of this plus the food getting stuck contributed. I am feeling much better though. Thanks for everyone's concern.

ooh ouch, i'm so glad you are feeling better, that does NOT sound like much fun!

For some reason eggs do the same for me! No matter how softly scrambled they are! Glad you are feeling better and that you are able to take a break from the tightness! My suggestion would be to go slow on the fills! It is funny but if he puts you at the same fill level that you were at you might find it way too tight. Funny how fickle the band is.

I was reading your post and thought oh god I don't want to ever go thru that. I am waiting to be scheduled for my surgery and had never heard the expressions wrote. Sorry if I sound a little off, but what exactly is stuck/pb/slime?

When food is "stuck" in the esophagus your body will make this slimy saliva stuff that attempts to help the food go down. If it doesn't go down, it will come out through your mouth to help the food come out that way. It's not like vomiting b/c it's not coming from your stomach. It's also called productive burping.

PS. I just learned about this recently too, and thought I'd share my newly found info. :huh2:

Thank you.

My sister in laws sister had gastric bypass and she always said she had nasty burps and can't stop them, but she wouldn't explain. How do you avoid this?

The last "incident" I had was much the same as yours (it was a few months ago now, and was the worst, luckily I've only had a few *touchwood*). I ate a couple of eggs for Breakfast at a restaurant because we were on holidays. Then we went sightseeing. About 2 hours later, I was in the most revolting public toilet sliming and sweating and feeling like I was going to die. It was awful. After about an hour of feeling like death and pacing around, I felt a little better, and felt like I could manage sitting in the car for the 2 hour drive home. About an hour in, I told hubby to pull over and I got out, slimed a little and then did this massive gurgling rumbling burp that felt like it was releasing a plug or something and then instantly felt fine. It was the most bizarre thing in the world! Needless to say, I've not eaten eggs since!

Also, I find my band is SUPER tight when I'm stressed.

Glad you're feeling better. It's funny that you say that you don't see how people can slime and PB all the time. I felt the same way after my one and only PB. It happened a month ago (10 months after surgery for me). It was so uncomfortable and aweful, I just couldn't imagine doing it again. I will avoid it at all costs. As far as eggs go...the only kind that I can eat are over easy. Scrambled eggs went out the window months ago. Good luck on your "re" fills.