Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made THE Decision

Hi Everyone...

For two years I tried to convince myself that I didn't need this procedure, talk about being in a state of denial!

I'm 200 pounds overweight. 200 pounds. When I say it out loud, I just want to crawl up into a fetal position (if only I could) and just cry.

But, due to the fact that the lap band surgery can be done as a laparascopic procedure, meaning the risk of death is immensely less, and that my secondary insurance now covers it (Tricare for Life; I have Medicare as primary because I've been disabled for 10 years now), and the fact that I am probably only a couple of months of being in a wheelchair, I HAVE to do this.

I am going to the seminar on April 10th. I'm hoping that once I do all the other appointments, maybe I could have the surgery by the end of May. Maybe sooner. Especially since I know insurance won't be a problem.

I'm still scared. Mainly because I have bad fibromyalgia. I'm unable to move around much at all. I can not stand more than a couple of minutes. I push myself by gardening (it's quite a sight seeing me roll around in my garden, but it's the only way I can do it), ironing (I can only do a hour at a time - I used to do it for 2-3 hours at a time), and some crafts. But for the most part, I end up paying the price with increased levels of pain for a day or two, or more afterwards.

That being said, how am I going to do the exercise part? It's going to be a while before I'm able to do any type of exercise, other than my chair exercises and chair yoga exercises.

What if I go through this procedure but my fibromyalgia holds me back from doing any significant exercise and I just don't lose the weight?

I am so depressed. I am going to do this, but I don't know how to incorporate the exercise without increasing the pain I already have 24/7.

:confused2:

Hi Mattie . . . you would be surprised how much better you start feeling as soon as the weight starts dropping. I have to admit I don't know about your condition . . . but would you be able to do Water aerobics? I've got a bad hip and back and I've tried "land based exercise" but always end up aching after that - so now I'm sticking to the Water .. . and that can be quite a work out too! Also just walking at first is a good start - even if its just 5 or 10 minutes to start with! You can do this in some way I'm sure! Best of luck to you - keep us posted!

Chris

Christasha:

Thank you for the post.

I think that my biggest fear is that the pre-op eval will not go well because I will be unable to do what the physiotherapist requires.

I am unable to use a heated pool due to another problem that involves wound care and being exposed to the heated pool. Too complicated to get into here; but the pool is out too.

Do you think the physiotherapist will understand that it might take a couple of months or so before I'm really able to exercise regularly?

Have a great weekend!

I would think that the psyco person SHOULD understand given your medical conditions. This is to help you . . . even if we can't all be exercise champs . . . it's still a tool that helps and I've gotten much further with it than I ever would have without it (for the past 27 years)! Good luck to you . . . I hope it all works out for you.

Chris

The physiotherapist will be at the seminar on April 10th. I'm going to bring this topic up because I'm worried about it. There are days when all I really want to do is take pain medication and lie in bed all day - but I definitely don't. In fact, I really push myself on those days because I realize that I need to keep moving no matter what.

But, I don't know what they'll expect from me right off the bat. And it's not like I'm not willing or making excuses, far from the truth. There's only so much pain I can tolerate before I have to take meds to dull it and I HATE doing that.

Thanks for the warm wishes.

Mattie, congrats on your Quest to take hold. I know you live in pretty much constant pain now, and I could only hope that it lessons with the weight loss you'll achieve. Many folks don't exercise with the band. Their loss may be slower, but as time goes by, i think they all start "moving" more...just because they can, and it starts to feel good to be active, rather than painful. Any small, repetitive movement, and activity at all will start to train your body, keping it flexible. I wouldn't worry that it's a hard core cardio session...just stay as active as possible! Over time, your stamina and abilities will grow, and you'll know when it's time to work into a more structured workout.

I wish you the best, keep us updated.

Cindi: Thanks for the warm wishes. I know that I will be working as hard as I can. I guess I really shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks because I know that I'll be giving it my very best effort.

Congratulations on your weight loss! How terrific!

Mattie I wish you all the best. All I can say is that everything usually gets better when we dont have all this weight resting on our bodies. You will be fine because you are making good choices for your body - and you will be getting the support you need from your doctors and for your heart here through this support group. We're all here for you!!!!

Mattie,

I believe once you start losing weight the pain will subside some. Anyway, you just have to push yourself. My mother has RA, polymyalgia rhuematica, temporal arteritis and fibromyalgia. She pushes herself everyday. She has a cane, crutch, walker, electric wheelchair and regular wheelchair. She has her ok days and her terrible days. Most the time she will not even use the cane. She amazes me no matter how much pain she is in she keeps going. Works until she can't anymore and just increases her pain meds. She doesn't have a weight problem thank God. I just want to learn from her and my Dad. My Dad just had 5 stents in his heart two months ago and he is already in the garden picking up rocks and trying to get ready to plant his garden. If only I had that motivation. That probably is why I am 120 pounds overweight now. I really want this band so I can began to live again. I am in pain now and can barely walk sometimes. My hips are so sore it is pitiful. I still hold down a full-time job but it affects every part of my life. I have no energy because I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and always sleepy and this stops your metabolism. So good luck and just pray about it and move on don't let anything stop you from helping yourself. You know anything will be better than what you are doing now.

Cheryl

Edited by cheryl1952
Name added to beginning of post.