Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my journey...would love some feedback!!!

Hi Fab-forties!!

I am 46 yrs old and have started my lab-band journey!! I have not been banded yet, but I can't wait to start that new chapter of my life. I have a date set for May 1st. I have a few questions:

first, what is the average weight loss for everyone and how long did it take? I have been struggling with my weight since I was a child. I can't even fathom wearing a size 8!!! I am 5'3" and weigh 235. I noticed that StephC has similar weight stats.

I now have diabetes and severe sleep apnea. I am ready to take charge of my weight and get rid of these annoying conditions.

The reason that I am asking for support on this thread is because our metabolism in our 40's changes (not for the good).......

How about support from friends/family? Has anyone experienced someone who did NOT support them? So far this hasn't happened, but I am sure it will.....

Still trying to figure out how to do the weight tracker, etc.... I'm usually good with the computer, but this one has me stumped!!!

Any input or support would be greatly appreciated!!!! :teeth_smile:

Hi Bandfan and welcome to bandland! :teeth_smile:

Yes we do have simular stats - AND a size 8 is achievable! I'm almost there now, my 10 are starting to get loose. I'm due to have a Tummy Tuck on May 1st so you and I will be having surgery the same day. My ps wants me to lose another 10 lbs before my surgery, so with that and the tt I'm pretty sure I'll be a size 8. I have an apple shape, and it never fails when I lose weight it comes off my butt first and my belly last.

I was banded almost 16 months ago - the weight has come off in spurts. The first few months were great, then I slacked off, got a better fill started losing again, then I slacked off, got a fill, started losing again - I might go a few months and only lose a pound a month. Like the last time I had been in was Sept, I lost 10 lbs that month, and then slacked off, and so it took me 5 months to lose the next 10 lbs. When the ps wanted me to lose another 10 I went back in and got a nice tight fill and have already lost 6 lbs in a week & 1/2. I've had 7 fills so far, my advice is if you arent' losing get an adjustment. Whether its a fill, or attitude adjustment, get it done.

Support is 90% for me - I NEED support. I caught up with a group of girls who had it done the same month as me and most of us have stayed in touch the whole time on lbt. I go to support group every month through my dr. and my family has been great. I choose not to tell the people I work with that I had the surgery and I'm not telling them I'm having the tt - just too personal for me to share with people I don't really care about. But my church knows and since there are 4 ladies who have had gastric bypass I figured no point trying to hide it. Also 2 of the ladies are sisters and their brother (who doesnt' go to my church) had the band a few months after me and goes to my support group. So no point trying to hide it.

I'm not a manic exerciser but I do walk everyday - on a losing streak I'll walk 4 miles a day. But try to walk at least 1 mile a day - although in my lazy streaks I didnt' walk at all.

I've lost 71 lbs now and I LOVE my band, I'd do it again tomorrow and I'm VERY pleased with my results. I didnt' come into this expecting to lose the weight over night. I knew the band is only a tool and without me to use the tool correctly it wouldn't have worked. Set you eye on a long term goal and you'll hit it. Good luck and feel free to pm anytime you have questions.

Hi Bandfan,

I am 1 month out of surgery and I had a few things that I thought you might need to know. Right after surgery everyone drops weight at different rates. I suggest you get on to the Post Op thread and read some of the threads just so you know what to expect. I only dropped 5 pounds the first month after surgery. After you have surgery you swell up and have a little restriction. Once the swelling goes down you have no restriction until you get your first fill. Any weight lose at this point is due to your own will power. You will be hungry after your swelling goes down. Be careful not to cheat at this point. Your tummy is healing and it needs you to eat the right stuff so it heals properly. Non of this is a quick fix. Last week I walked 11 miles and I never lost a pound. Everyone drops the weight at different rates. Don't let some of the quick losers get you down. Make sure to messure your body too. I have lost a lot of inches but very little weight post surgery. Count non scale victories too. Every victory counts and keeps your spirit in the game. Good luck to you!

Wow!! What great advice!! Thanks for the tips. I know that the band is ONLY a tool and I intend to use it to the best of my ability to finally get the weight off!! If I can be a model for my children at the dinner table by eating smaller portions and ENJOYING my food, I will be very happy. My 16 yr old son is 260lbs and I pray that he takes his weight off by natural means!!! I'm afraid that I have taught my kids bad eating habits (eating too fast and too much). I'm hoping that my journey will benefit all of us!!

StephC, You must be ecstatic about getting a tummy tuck!! I'll be following you on your progress. I am hoping to have that option when I finally get close to my goal weight. I am guessing that the tt surgery must have a much longer recovery time. You worked hard and you deserve the best for yourself. Kudos to you!! Is your tt covered by insurance? I know that most of them are not covered, but was wondering if you had any other conditions that would make it medically necessary (like a hernia).

Believe it or not - YES my tt is covered 100%! An act of God. Seriously I did some heavy praying about it. My insurance is covering the pennicultomy and the abdomoplasty - (apron removal and tt). I am estactic to be having it done. Your right I do deserve it! :thumbup:

I agree about teaching your children good eating habits. None of my kids are overweight - yet - thank heavens. But I only have one left at home, she's 17 and since I've had the surgery she has completely changed her eating habits. She reads every label. Doesn't eat if she's not hungry and although she still likes donuts and ice cream she saves them for a treat - I'm very proud of how she eats. We went shopping today for a prom dress, and this was the first time I felt good about my appearance. I was always the fat mom with the skinny girls, and tho they never said anything I always felt out of place. Now I felt proud to be with her, like I looked as good as she does but as her mom. Do you know what I mean - if that makes any sense?

As Cantweight said yes you do go through a period of hunger during the mushy stage. At 4 weeks post op I begged my dr to give me a fill but he wouldn't until 6 weeks. I never gained any weight at any point, but I have gone through those "dry" spells when I didnt' lose. But like I said just refocus and get a fill and get back on the bandwagon. Keep your support tight and you'll do great. Not everyone loses at the same rate so don't let others success or failures dictate where you should be. Be happy with every pound that comes off.

Good Questions! Great Advice!!

I am also 46 and a little taller and heavier that you ladies. I hope to have my surgry 1st week of May (some school holidays that week and I teach). I have my last dietian visit next week. I do look towards this 40's site for some reasonable goals and advice. I know I will not lose like a 24 year old man. Steph C you are an inspirations!! :scared2:

APPROVED!!! :crying: :lol: :biggrin2: :ohmy:

The letter was sent to insurance on Thursday and they called me at 7:40am this morning to tell me that I am approved for surgery!!! I am soooo excited. I'm sure I'll have more emotions as I get closer to May 1st.

StephC, it looks like we will be long distance hospital buddies!!!

I started this process on January 15th. I was motivated to get it going ASAP!! It sure paid off!!!!

Hey Miss Meliss:

Hopefully you will start your journey the same week too!!

All the best to you.... I am just so excited that I can hardly contain myself!!! :crying: :ohmy: :lol: :lol:

G'Morning and CONGRATS on your approval!

I'm 47, 5'3" and started at 232, so we're pretty close in stats as well!

I've only been banded for two weeks, but I'm down 18 pounds and feel GREAT. I'm starting the 'mushy' stage tomorrow......

May 1st will be here before you know it!

Hey Harleygirl:

Thanks for your response. 18lbs is amazing!!! How long were you really "down" after the surgery? I am a daycare provider and have already taken time off, so I am trying to get friends to help in my daycare while I recover.

My surgery is on Thursday and I will stay overnight. I have someone covering for me on Thursday and Friday. I'm wondering if I will still need help on Monday.....

I know that surgery is different for everyone, but I have already had 2 hernia repairs. I was back to work within 3 days (against doctor's wishes), but it wasn't too bad. I just was very low key with my daycare and didn't lift anything or anyone......

I am also having another hernia repaired (hopefully my last one!!) while they are banding me.....

I would love to know your recovery experience!!! :crying:

I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of my surgery, too....

I was out of work for eight days....there were a couple of days in there I could have gone, but I work retail....busy and on my feet all day and it just didn't make sense. I've got great co-workers that cover my a$$, so no problem!

The surgery was about what I expected.....the first couple of days I was gassy and sore....after that the shoulder pain was the worst part.

Now, two weeks tomorrow and I feel good. Probably get tired a little quicker, but I sure sleep good!

I'm happy for us! We wasted too many years being fat.....now we will be FABULOUS in our 40's and 50's.....

BTW, I'm 46....I'll BE 47 this year....can't believe I aged myself pre-maturely!

Bandfan - congrats! I know how exciting it is, and you have a great attitude. You'll do well. When I would plateau I would remember my band dr's words "one pound a week is 52 lbs a year".

I was lucky enough to be "laid off" when I had my band surgery. I work at a golf course in PA so winter was good for me to be off. But I do remember that I had the surgery on Monday and Thursday I went Christmas shopping. You should be ok to go back to work as long as you don't lift the kids.

Good to know StephC!! I'm moving most of my clients to later in the following week so that I only have 1 or 2 for the 5th, 6th & 7th day after surgery.

I have 2 pre-op appts. 1 is to go over diet in the doctor's office and the other one is for the anesthesiologist. Does anyone know what that visit entails? They said that it will take about 3 hrs!!!

I'll be going away on vacation in mid-April which is probably good for me. I am the type of person that needs to be distracted to take my mind off of things!!!

I agree with you Harleygirl!! I have spent way too much of my life being fat and unhappy. I honestly feel that it has impacted some of my relationships. I was always embarrassed about what people might thing, so it would inhibit me when I was in their presence!! I am going to be interested in your progress since I am right behind you!! I know that everyone is different and lose at different rates, but you know what they say.... "Misery loves Company"!!! By the way, when is your birthday? I'll be 47 in July!!

Edited by bandfan1

I'll be 47 in August!

I know being fat has impacted things I've done....we have friends that do a cruise or a beach vacation every year and we've never gone with them. I'll do the mountain retreats or anything else....but I just couldn't bear to be the fat lady on the beach chair....wearing the grandma bathing suit.

I am planning a Hawaiian vacation for a goal reward!