Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2008 Exercise Challenge

Ooooh, TG, that was evil! Now the anticipation is killing me!! What secrets of the BodyBugg will be revealed to me tonight???

I'm sooo not motivated, but the time has come for change -- in all sorts of areas of my life. And I really appreciate y'all jumping on board to challenge my saggy ass! :crying:

Speaking of which, my dearest friend in all the world (love you, Tracy!)feels it her duty to nag me about not using my treadmill as a way of getting her own skinny butt back on her treadmill... I was thinking that it'd be helpful to me if she felt free to comment here about my progress. (She does lurk after my well-being, but has never posted at LapBandTalk.com. :tt1:) Have y'all any objections to a non-Bandster (but devoted supporter of all things ME -- including LapBand), joining this month's challenge? Obviously, I wanted to run it by everyone before I suggested that she consider it! Think about it & let me know! :thumbs_up:or:thumbs_down:

Actually, that'd be great, having a normo with us on our challenge. I dare say she'd probably be able to keep up with me, but I don't think ANY of us will be able to keep up with BG! So it's a :thumbup: for me! :blink: As long as she can deal with a fair amount of bitching... LOL!

I don't mean to leave you in the lurch, but I'm at work, "supposedly" working... I'm such a bad girl.. I'm afraid that if I started in on THAT, I'd lose track of myself. And in the interest of not making our challenge thread all about the bodybugg, I'll prolly just PM you with it.:tt1:

BG's fat ass just polished a second piece of pizza (only took an hour) and has not worked out in like 3 weeks.

I need a bit of push myself.

I myself am finishing off 1/2 of a Lean Cuisine panini (YUM) and on my last bite, I'm getting that stuck as hell feeling, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to go spit out the last bite....and I've been working out 30-45 minutes a day for awhile now. Not that it's doing me any good, which is why I'm happy for a new challenge to try to push myself.

i just scarfed down a piece of pizza today too and the toppings off of two other! I'm ready for tomorrow, but I leave out of town for work Wed. so will have to make myself do something while gone. Going to MN where its a blizzard.

Zannie,

I actually got my bugg on 2/29, 24hr fitness ran a leap year promotion and with 10% additonal off from website it was only $176 so jumped on it. You can work out just as hard with out it and we'll keep you motivated

Oh, Zaaaaaannnniiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I pm'd you a BOOK. LOL! Sorry, I just can't help myself. I'll talk to you in a couple of days when you're done reading it...

Y'all with your pizza & panini talk! :lol: That bread would just gum up the works these days though -- I'm very tight.

Tuesday nights are crazy for me & it's nuts trying to get in an uninterrupted workout with the kids underfoot during the day (let alone a shower), so I am making no commitment to get my 3-days-a-week in today or any Tues for the foreseeable future. I WILL, however, jump on the treadmill Wednesday after putting the kiddies to bed. I just wanted to post my "status" for the sake of accountability.

So no objections then to my prodding Tracy to join the exercise challenge? :biggrin2:

Suzanne

Level 1 ~ Moderate

0 of 14 30-min workouts

This might seem weird, but I'm still going to go for the level 3 ADVANCED, but instead of going for number of workouts, I'm going for a total number of minutes, since I often break down my workouts into 15 or 30 minute increments.

SO, I'm going for a grand total of 1380 MINUTES. My LORD that sounds like a LOT.

TG, that's not so weird... I'd have to ask my surgeon the specifics again but, apparently, there was some WLS study that took the cardiac health recommended exercise (a minimum of three times a week and a minimum of 20 minutes per session, with a 5 min warm-up before & cool-down after for a total of 30 minutes or 90 minutes a week) and applied that to post-op WLS patients. The study was looking at total minutes exercised, not at how much was done each day. The groups studied, if I recall the minutes correctly, were assigned to do 90 min & 120 minutes (one more day) worth of exercise a week, not minutes-per-day. Just adding one more days worth of minutes had a substantial impact on the amount of weight lost by the WLS patients.

Anyhow -- that was a long way of getting at you're not being crazy to do it per minute, rather than per workout. :lol: My workouts just happen to be consistently the same length of time on the treadmill each day, or they were until Thanksgiving when I stopped cold-turkey! (eemmm...TURKEY!)

So my goal for April would be 1260 minutes :unsure:, which sounds far more daunting than 14 days on the treadmill for 30 minutes! :tt1:

Checking in. Not gonna lie I was feeling shitty yesterday and did not get in a workout. Yeah real nice way to start out the month. I am not changing my goal. It just means one day this weekend I will be getting in an additional workout to make up for the first missed one.

Got out on my bike for a quick 10 miler and got a 20 minute walk in today.

"a quick 10 miler" -- so, BG, tell us...how long does it take you to bike 10 miles? I know you really got into biking for your exercise so maybe you've worked up to 10 at a good clip I can't imagine 10 miles worth of exercise in a single day without my left knee rebelling against me! :unsure: And I know I'd be on the treadmill for HOURS upon HOURS, if I even could get in all 10. My allergies are so awful that outdoor exercise is really torturous for me most of the year, but I was just wondering...

Gonna hop on the treadmill now for my 30 -- I'll change my ticker only after completing it though! :lol:

Done. (Where is the panting & out of breath icon?)

Not so bad... I have not lost any endurance in my time away from my regular exercise routine, so that actually is pretty GOOD news. This is the 1st time I've been on the treadmill since Thanksgiving weekend! Not that there haven't been other forms of exercise in the mean time, but nothing that I count as "working out" for fitness & weight-loss. Ya know?

Which brings me to something else I was thinking about... I giggle each time I read the letters BG in reference to everyone's favorite Baby Bicycling Bitch. "BG" means only one thing to me. Busch Gardens. As in the amusement park right here in good ol' Williamsburg, VA! :huh2: We were given season passes to the park for Christmas & one of those BodyBugg thingamabobs would probably help me figure out exactly how to count 1/2 a day at BG with my 2 & 5-year-olds toward my daily exercise goal! For the purposes of this challenge, do I get to count 5 hours at a theme park as a 1/2-hour workout? :lol::tt2: Yes/No?

Suzanne

Level 1 ~ Moderate

1 of 14 30-min workouts

It's actually bycyling Zannie. lol I love how the origanal starter of the cycling thread spelled it wrong. We make fun of it all the time.

The quick 10 miler took about 45 minutes. I wanted to do 15 but the metropark where I cycle had the long trail closed. The shorter trail i was on is very very hilly and I just did not want to do that all over again lol. Plus it was a little chilly outside and I am a wuss. Cycling might actually be really good for you Zannie. After my dad had his total knee surgery last summer cycling was on of the things he could do to help it heal, just in short bursts.

As for the Busch Gardens, get a pedometer and track how many steps you take. I think every 5000 or so steps is about 1 mile. I would count 2 miles as 30 minutes of exercise.