Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss....OMG

OK November Bandsters!

I am needing some reassuring today. My hair is falling out at a rapid pace. I have noticed for the last month that my hair is noticeably thinning out. Now I do know that it is normal to lose some hair but at rate I am going I won't have much left.

Everyday, when I take my shower I lose a drain full. I towel dry my hair and lose some more. I comb my hair and lose some more. OMG I am shedding.

I read on the General board the hairloss thread but I want to know if you November Bandsters are experiencing hairloss.

This is what I am doing to combat it but have not seen it work and started this over 2 weeks ago.

1. Increase my Protein
  2. Take Biotin 2500mcg daily
  3. Shampoo/Condition with Nioxin (only sold in hair salons)

What else do you recommend? :blush:

Edited by hollyberries
Because I am an idiot speller!

I would recommend saving your money, not doing 1) unless you're not getting enough Protein, 2) unless you have a Biotin deficiency, and 3) just don't do it all together. Nothing you put on the exterior shaft of the hair will pervent it from falling out.

hair exists in cycles. Dying or falling out is one of the cycles. The best thing you can do is save your money and be patient and wait it out.

If any of the above stopped hairloss, we wouldn't have any bald people. :blush:

Cindy,

I am so sorry you are losing hair. I haven't lost any yet. I hope that I don't. Some say it is from anestesia (sp?) and some say it is from rapid weight loss. If it is from the anestesia I should be okay because I've had surgery before and never lost any hair.

I use Nioxin anyway because I naturally have very thin hair. I would so exactly what you are doing. I hope it stops soon.

Big Hug!

Jill

Cindy,

I am so sorry you are losing hair. I haven't lost any yet. I hope that I don't. Some say it is from anestesia (sp?) and some say it is from rapid weight loss. If it is from the anestesia I should be okay because I've had surgery before and never lost any hair.

I use Nioxin anyway because I naturally have very thin hair. I would so exactly what you are doing. I hope it stops soon.

Big Hug!

Jill

Thanks Jill...how do you like Nioxin? Haven't seen much results but it is too soon to tell.

Cindy

I would get just get a haircut. That's what I did, and everyone at work just thinks it's fabulous that I have lost all this weight, and a cute fabulous haircut to match. Make it work!

Thanks Jill...how do you like Nioxin? Haven't seen much results but it is too soon to tell.

Cindy

I like Nioxin. I use the Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I actually had new hair growth when I first started using it which was a long time ago. I stopped using it for a while because I wanted to use something new and my hair appeared thinner so I switched back. I'm not sure how well it works since the Hair loss isn't due to the strength of your hair but it certainly can't hurt. I agree with Wheetsin that this problem is due to internal changes but I would still try the options you listed. Also, be sure to take your Vitamins everyday. The nurse at the surgeon's office told me to be sure to take the Vitamins everyday to help prevent and slow down any hair loss that may occur.

Let us know how it goes. We are all getting to that point where the hair loss starts. You've lost a tremendous amount of weight so that is probably why you are first. Of course, I would love to have been first if it meant I had a huge loss. LOL

By the way, I am always so impressed with your weight loss. I was telling my friends and family how much you've lost and they were also very impressed. You are inspiring.

I like Nioxin. I use the Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I actually had new hair growth when I first started using it which was a long time ago. I stopped using it for a while because I wanted to use something new and my hair appeared thinner so I switched back. I'm not sure how well it works since the Hair loss isn't due to the strength of your hair but it certainly can't hurt. I agree with Wheetsin that this problem is due to internal changes but I would still try the options you listed. Also, be sure to take your Vitamins everyday. The nurse at the surgeon's office told me to be sure to take the Vitamins everyday to help prevent and slow down any hair loss that may occur.

Let us know how it goes. We are all getting to that point where the hair loss starts. You've lost a tremendous amount of weight so that is probably why you are first. Of course, I would love to have been first if it meant I had a huge loss. LOL

By the way, I am always so impressed with your weight loss. I was telling my friends and family how much you've lost and they were also very impressed. You are inspiring.

Thanks Jill!

I have really slowed down the last few weeks. This week I decided to change things up a bit and went back to the "Y". I am hoping that the exercise will help kick start things up. The last fill that I had kept me at 1.5cc's and I really should have gotten more because I am hungry. I go on the 9th for another fill and I am going to have him give me more since the 1.5 didn't cut it.

I hope that I can inspire more people. I tell everyone that I had the Lapband and do not regret it. I hope that I can inspire someone to make the life changing decision that I have.

Again, thanks.

Cindy

I have had hairloss. I know that every time I have surgery I have this problem. I'm sure that my Protein level hasn't always been what it should be. I'm really working hard to make sure that I get enough protein now. Maybe take a second look at your protein level.

I have had hairloss. I know that every time I have surgery I have this problem. I'm sure that my Protein level hasn't always been what it should be. I'm really working hard to make sure that I get enough Protein now. Maybe take a second look at your protein level.

I know that most days I get my protein in because I track on Sparkpeople. Maybe I need to increase it some more. I average 75-90gms a day. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, chicken, rolled up ham and try to increase the protein in other ways. I was thinking about adding a Protein shake a day to increase it that way because trying to eat isn't easy.

Thanks for the advice and glad to know I am not alone. I hate it because my hair is important as it is to most women. I think I just might get a hair cut to see if that will help with the growth.

I have to admit that I wouldn't turn back because the weight loss is more important to my overall health.

Cindy

I'm over a year post and was still losing hair, well by this time it is now noticable. I use to have realy thick hair. I just went buy some Nioxin, I know a lot of people using it and they all say it is great. I also was lacking on my Vitamins, so I just starting taking them again. I take 3000mg of Biotin, and someone told me to take 4 flintstones instead of 2 which the DR. told me to take 2. My nails were peeling and I was getting dry Patches on my eyelids. I hope I start seeing a difference, or I will be buying a wig soon!!!!

Oh one more thing, Permenant hair color will not stay in my hair, it comes out in like 4 washes and I am sure its not a rinse out...lol.

Hollyberries, I'm in the same boat. It's going to fall out with a trauma - surgery. It WILL grow in again - but it may take a while - like say 3-6 months from now. That's what I noticed when I moved. My hair started thinning and then 3-6 months from the day I noticed it thinning is when I started seeing little hairs growing back again. It will come back! But it sucks now, eh?

You could go to the hairdresser and ask her to use those fancy schmancy scissors that cut some of the hairs out but leave others - the ones for making your hair stick up higher. Hmm, I'm not sure what they're called. It's used for height up top and it helps me in my thinner spots. It cuts like one hair out of every ten or something like that and they use them right near the scalp. It makes your hair seem thicker because there's more height. Make sense? I'm not sure I'm making sense.

Hollyberries, I'm in the same boat. It's going to fall out with a trauma - surgery. It WILL grow in again - but it may take a while - like say 3-6 months from now. That's what I noticed when I moved. My hair started thinning and then 3-6 months from the day I noticed it thinning is when I started seeing little hairs growing back again. It will come back! But it sucks now, eh?

You could go to the hairdresser and ask her to use those fancy schmancy scissors that cut some of the hairs out but leave others - the ones for making your hair stick up higher. Hmm, I'm not sure what they're called. It's used for height up top and it helps me in my thinner spots. It cuts like one hair out of every ten or something like that and they use them right near the scalp. It makes your hair seem thicker because there's more height. Make sense? I'm not sure I'm making sense.

Linda-

You are making sense because I am a product of the 80's and I now about high hair! LOL! I have decided that I am going to get a haircut to give it a kick start. I am thinking that by having it cut it will stimulate some growth. Who knows! I am not a hairdresser but I don't want to be bald either.

Thanks for the advice...well taken and I appreciate it.

Cindy

Here's something just come to my e-mail box today from a natural news e-letter I get - I think it's naturalnews.com. Anybody wanna try?

1 Out of Every 3 Women Will Lose hair

When a woman begins losing her hair, it is usually due to a condition known as androgenetic alopecia. The result of this form of Hair loss is a thinning of the hair in the top, and front areas of the head. Androgenetic alopecia is hereditary and can be inherited from either side of the family. It is estimated that about 33% of postmenopausal women experience hair loss that can be contributed to androgenetic alopecia.

Additional causes of hair loss in women include, stress, birth control pills, and hormone imbalance. Though distressing, hair loss due to these causes normally only lasts about a year. After giving birth, a woman may also experience some hair loss, and a number of women are extremely shocked when it occurs, but can take comfort in knowing that it is not usually permanent.

Permanent hair loss can occur if the hair follicle dies, but if the hair follicle is in a dormant state, there is still hope to stop, and possibly even reverse hair loss. Fortunately there is a way to combat hair loss.

Incredible Discovery: A Natural Nutrient Can Stop or Even Reverse Hair Loss

Research has shown that by applying a tissue nutrient such as Emu oil, the tissue becomes healthier and more lively. In addition to restoring health to tissue, the regular use of Emu oil has shown to bring up to 80% of the hair follicles out of their doormat state. This allows for additional Hair growth, and not only that, the hair is healthier.

For hair loss in women, it is recommended that a small amount of Emu oil be massaged into the scalp about three times daily. At least twice a week, a heavy application of Emu oil should be applied and kept on the scalp for approximately 20 minutes, before washing the hair with a very mild Shampoo.< /p>

With regular use of Emu oil, there should be noticeable re-growth within 1 – 3 months. The best part about using Emu oil to fight baldness is that it is a completely natural alternative to some of the more expensive and intrusive treatments available today.

It's funny how just yesterday I went to my hairdresser to have a haircut and asked her about the Nioxin. I started losing some of my hair about a month ago. I was banded Nov. 5th. I've lost 22 pounds. I have 7.5cc's in a 10cc band. I'm getting another fill next Tuesday. I'm hoping to get another 1cc. Anyway, what my hairdresser told me was that she used the nioxin too. I said you don't need to use it, you're not losing your hair are you? She's like 22 years old. She said no she wasn't losing her hair. She uses it for the fullness look. She said that that is what the Nioxin does, makes your hair "appear" fuller. She said that it doesn't cause Hair growth, like someone else said above, if it were true then there'd be no "bald" people. It just gives the appearance of fuller hair. I think I'm going to stop using it when my bottles, Shampoo, conditioner and treatment are gone. I think it's just a waiting period. Our bodies have to adjust to the change.

Oh well, small price to pay for getting healthier and happier with ourselves. :-)