Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much exercise do you get?

Sigh, I am at my third week of no loss, so it is clear that I have to start exercising. At least springtime has come to Montana, and the snow is gone. I put off exercising for a long time so I would have that as my "ace in the hole".

I'm curious about how much you folks are exercising and if you have been doing it the same level all along, or if you have ramped up as you lost weight.

All input is appreciated. Have any of the rest of you hit long Patches of not losing that eventaully broke? I'm not too worried about it, just curious....

I hear you friend. I have gone up and down this month the same rotten couple of pounds. I exercise 3 times a week. I do 30 mins. "fat burn" on the eliptical trainer and then 30 minutes on the treadmill. On average I do 3.5 miles in an hour and burn around 600-700 calories. Thankfully the weather has started to get nicer so I weed eated and cut lawn that should also burn up a few calories. I go for fill #2 April 8th and i am ready!!! I must admit the food addict in me has been alot worse this month. It has been stressful as my mother in law passed away and I have not been measuring or keeping track of my calories.. Time to give myself a reality check!! I do enjoy exercising now and I can walk alot faster thatn I used to. I have signed up for a 10K marathon at the end of April. I find it helps me to set goals. How are your fills Foofy?

Hang in there...we can get through this!!!

Barb

ok im not from november band but from dec but wanted to add my feedback.

I didnt do that much excerise for the first 35-40 pounds I lost but I kept plataeu and gotta re-diet and so on... got tired of it.

So I started at 30min for 2-3 days and I started loosing and it plataeu again... Now at 50+ lost I have increase my workout to 1 to 1 1/2hour 5 times a week and I really feel great... sometime I feel like I'm skinny and dont need to loose more till I look or grab my stomach ;p

heh ohhh well gotta work it off... soon ill hit goal ;p

Foofy-

I haven't exercised at all yet until today. Today was my first day at the "Y". I did the bike for 20 minutes and then I lifted weights for my arms (which are sagging). I came home and did the Ab-Lounger (which my Mom gave me). I have really been struggling with yo-yo weight lately. I am sure it is because I can eat more than I should be able to right now. My next fill is 4/9 and I am going to ask him to increase it. The last fill we chose to bring me back to where I was at the previous fill and it just wasn't enough. I was a very bad girl yesterday and overate and boy I felt like crap last night. My stomach hurt and everything. I am not used to eating candy and Desserts. Even today, I still don't feel right from yesterday. I should have just done shakes for today to calm everything down.

I do know that to get the next 90lbs off that I will need to exercise it off. I can't be all fast losing forever and I am preparing myself for that.

I sucks that it is still a struggle even with WLS but I wouldn't turn back because this is the most weight that I have lost in my entire life.

Cindy

I have done very little exercise since being banded. My exercise of choice is walking. The spring and fall before banding I walked three miles in an hour about 4 to 6 times a week. Winter and cold weather hit after banding and spring is just coming around. I've walked maybe 2 or 3 times recently. Exercise is totally my biggest challenge. I worked in my yard today for over an hour. I do like gardening.

I like the walking, too once I get into a routine, I'm pretty good with it. It's getting into a routine, that's hard for me.

food, I've been fairly in control even without decent restriction. I thought my recent fill was going to be the ONE that would work, but only five days after it and really starting to test it with solid food, I have doubts. I know the band is working but I'm not getting a full feeling long enough between meals and I still clock watch, waiting for the next meal!

I know the next 40 pounds will require good restriction and some exercise. I'm only willing to do as much exercise as I think I can maintain long term. Two hours in a gym 5 days a week, I just don't think I want to do that.

I work out 6 days a week at the Healthclub we joined three months before my surgery. I do Water aerobics three times a week and a body pump class and then the other days I alternate weight training and the treadmill and stationary bike.....I am addicted to my working out and I feel so so much better from it. I can run up three flights of stairs and I could barely climb three sets of stairs before my surgery.

I can't say enough about moving your butt.....I have had no gains of weight since my surgery......and I have had no fill either!

My routine is several shorter runs (about 6.5kms, 40 minutes) and a really long one on the weekend - 14kms at present which takes me almost two hours. And three times a week I do circuit training for half an hour, pretty intensely.

But more importantly, I hardly ever sit down, I'm cleaning, shopping, running round after kids, walking etc. There's no point exercising intensely for an hour if you then lie on the couch the rest of the day.

I've measured before with a pedometer and I do between 18,000 and 26,000 steps a day.

I agree, exercise has to be maintainable, so dont bite off too much before you're ready to chew it. Nowadays my running feels like no effort at all so I was ready to head back into the gym and add some circuit classes, running is so routine to me now. And I'm only doing that long run at the weekend becuase I"m training for a half marathon, I wont be putting myself through that long term. But its taken me 2 years to get to that point - I have all this fitness and energy and I have to find ways to use it up.

Edited by Jachut

Thank you all for your input! You all are doing so great. I just love to hear how people manage their weight loss.

I am inspired to "shut my gob and move my ass" as Jachut would say. Really girl, 18,000 to 26,000 steps is freaking amazing. I sit at a desk all day. When I used to wear my pedometer, I found out that it was 400 steps to the bathroom from my desk. I saw drinking Water and peeing as an exercise program. Sigh. Obviously, it's no surprise that I average about 2,000 steps a day. Even when I was trainng for my marathon, I don't think I did that many steps except on long training days. My hat's off to you.

Barbee, you seem to really be putting in the effort on exercise, I am sure that your plateau is probably just some Water weight, plus a little stress eating. It'll start coming off again soon I bet. You've had great loss already. You can do that 10K. In 2005, at 250 pounds, I did a 5K, 10K, 12K, half mararthon, and full marathon. Then, I was so tired of endless training, I hung up my shoes and gained 25 pounds. Damn. The key, I think, is to not push so hard that you hate it.

Kristen and Antsmith, your progress has been amazing. I am glad to see that you are doing all that exercise, so I can blame it on that. However, I know that Kristen is also scrupulous about her eating - a model bandster all around. Antsmith, you must be behaving yourself too.

Shortgal and Hollyberries, you two have lost great, too! Now, we've got to egg each other on for walking or eliptical useage and catch up with these other crazy exercisers. Maybe we should set some weekly goals? I'm ready to go!!! I am sure it is the secret to moving me off this plateau.

When I go back to work Foofy, I bet I'll really have to watch it, as my movement will no doubt decrease too once I"m paying someone to clean my house etc. My poor DH spends 9/10 hours at a desk per day and at least 2 hours in the car. He really struggles with his weight although he's not a big eater.

I think you hit the nail on the head Jachut. It's not the planned "exercise" you do that keeps you thin, it's the constant movement. My internist is convinced that the widespread use of computers is as much to blame for the epidemic of obestity as our out of whack portions. We just don't move the way we used to. I will dig out my pedometer tomorrow!

I work out 7 days a week. my goal is to make my bodybugg hit 3 hours of physical activity a day.

I am not dropping weight as fast as I thought I would but I have enjoyed my band and my new found affinity for working out and living a healthy lifestyle.

I do curves in the early afternoon, walk 3-5 miles in the afternoon, and run or swim at the ymca at night. also my job is pretty physical and track some activity during that time as well.

I have increased my endurance and resisitance eachweek. I am going to attempt a minimarathon on april 5th. surely walking most of it!

Wow, you ladies are very impressive with your exercise. several years ago I did a step aerobic program with a DVD and it did shape me up, but I just ate all the calories I burned.

Problem was when I injured my knee and had surgery, exercise stopped and the same intake of food did not. Big weight gain and still have almost daily knee pain.

So while I want to get back to my 3 mile walk, which I enjoy, I don't want to use heavier exercise for weight maintenance. It's just not a reliable source of burning calories for me. But it sure makes losing weight harder without it.

I don't know how women with a family fit it all in! Have to admire your dedication!

I walk 6 miles at 4.2 on the treadmill for 1 hour 3 days a week; I also use a weigth training DVD 3 day.

Hi,

I worked out prior to the surgery and I'm glad to say I'm almost back to my routine. I do 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical or bike) 5:30 in the morning before I leave for work. 30 minutes of cardio before lunch (treadmill) at the gym in my building, and then I go back afterwork and do 30 - 45 minutes of cardio, and 30 minutes of calestetics, pyrometrics or weights. I have an awesome CD that I do sometime, got it off an informercial "Slim in 6". After the beginner stage, I'm dripping in sweat. I feel great. I was at a plateau earlier in Feb, but once my caloric intake increased I was able to do more in the gym and the weight started to come off.

I think my second job also help me in loosing weight cause first job im at desk most of day but other i'm walking around for 4hrs in store... so on those day with workout and 2 jobs im hitting 18k steps and 3.8k-4k cal burn... if only 1 job and workout it only 2.3-2.6k burn and 11k steps.