Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band in Mexico: Feedback?

Angie— Yes, I am considering that. It is certainly a concern for me. Both of the doctors who I am considering in Mexico have Free Fills for LIFE! Unfortunately, I would still have to pay for airfare every time I go down.

I am interested in knowing if Dr. Curry in Cincy would do fills for me. I currently have Dr. Zapata's facilitator looking for doctors in Ohio who would do fills for me. It's just that thinking about Dr. Curry in Cincy—his surgery is twice the amount of Dr. Zapata's in Mexico and I just have to wonder, will I spend more than $7000 in fills for the rest of my life with a doctor in Ohio? AND, Dr. Curry's fills are only free for 2 years.

How often do you have to get fills after say... 2-3 years post surgery?

So you may have a carpooler friend after all! I'm still collecting info and will be probably be making a decision after I go to the meeting in Columbus and talk to more people about their experiences on April 12th. Are you attending that?

Alicia—

Thank you so much for your response about Dr. Zapata. I am seriously considering him and spoke with a woman named Judy from his staff last night on the phone. She was very informed and answered a lot of questions I had.

You mentioned airfare being $1000!!! Where do you live?? I am in Cleveland, OH and am hping that it does not cost that much!

Well, I live in Washington State, and I am flying out from Seattle to Mexico City then to Monterrey, but its for me and my husband. I should have clarified its for two people.

I spoke to Judy also, and alma, and both have been quick to respond and seem to be taking good care of my needs. Like I said, I will be sure to let you know more details after I get home on April 8th. My surgery is April 3rd. I am really looking forward to getting this band done!:)

Hi Alicia!

I am SO excited for you. PLEASE let me know how everything goes after you get back. I will be thinking of you on April 3rd and hoping that everything goes perfectly, as expected. :)

Angie— Yes, I am considering that. It is certainly a concern for me. Both of the doctors who I am considering in Mexico have Free Fills for LIFE! Unfortunately, I would still have to pay for airfare every time I go down.

I am interested in knowing if Dr. Curry in Cincy would do fills for me. I currently have Dr. Zapata's facilitator looking for doctors in Ohio who would do fills for me. It's just that thinking about Dr. Curry in Cincy—his surgery is twice the amount of Dr. Zapata's in Mexico and I just have to wonder, will I spend more than $7000 in fills for the rest of my life with a doctor in Ohio? AND, Dr. Curry's fills are only free for 2 years.

How often do you have to get fills after say... 2-3 years post surgery?

These doctors should take on Mexico patients for fills... usually they will not bill your insurance if you have not had the procedure done with them.

I'm not sure where they're all at, but hopefully this will help a little.

Trace W. Curry, M.D. (Cincy Area)

10475 Reading Road, #117

Evendale, OH 45241

513-559-1222

www.thebanddoctor.com

Dr. Fragleman

513-791-0707

Dr. Chlysta

330 344-1100

I went to Mexico with my husband for surgery. Surgery was in Hospital Angeles through Belite weight and I had a very good experience. If you would like to speak to any local people who have been there and done that . . . send me a message.

I found a doctor to do fills near Akron, Walter Chlysta, but he is charging $500 with no floro. I went back to Tijuana for a fill but I will not continue every time. I think I will probably end up in Columbus for fills. I started calling local docs in Cleveland for fills and you would think that going to Mexico for surgery is like having the plague or something. I know I can go to Cincinnati to Trace Curry's office but it is a bit far.

I am going to keep looking for a better, less expensive local option which I'll post if I find it.

Edited by HeatherO
typo

Hi Heather!

Thank you for your comments. I am concerned about where to go for fills in Ohio. I also know that I can travel down to Cincinnati for fills. Luckily, I have friends down there and can make a trip into a mini vacation. However, it is far to drive.

I was going to call Dr. Chlysta but now that you told me it is going to cost $500 with NO flouro, forget it! That is ridiculous. You know if healthcare started being PREVENTATIVE, and not only covering things AFTER we get co-morbidities, none of us would have to go outside the US for surgeries like this. Docotors should understand out dilema and stop making us pay more just because we did what we had to to become healthy. It really upsets me.

Who did you go to in Tiajuana? I am considering a Dr. Kuri in Tiajuana and Dr. Zapata in Monterrey. Please let me know about your experience.

Thanks!

Courtenay

Anyone heard from Alicia? I am hoping that her surgery went well with Dr. Zapata. Please fill me in when you're feeling up to it!

Courtenay - check out Synchrony Health web site as they have both Columbus and Cincy locations where their doctors will do fills for patients who were banded elsewhere and now need a fill doctor in Ohio. I believe there is a one time fee (maybe $500) for the first appointment probably because they do a history & physical plus the fill and then I think they quoted about $100 per fill after. That would have to be cheaper and more convenient than flying somewhere for a fill.

What is the cost to get the surgery in Mexico? Is it that much cheaper?

I know my Doc (Dr Myers at Riverside) does fills for people that did not get banded with him.

When I was in the Hospital after my surgery there was a man in the next room that just got back from Mexico after having a bypass. He ran into complications and came back to the states to get help.

Lap Band Surgery runs anywhere from $7000-$9500 in Mexico at different hospitals with different surgeons. I have chosen Dr. Pedro Kuri and his surgery cost is $7500 and that includes 2 nights in the hospital, and two nights in a hotel close to the hospital afterwards just in case of any questions/complications. It also includes ground transporation to and from the San Diego airport! :D

Just to let everyone know, even after being banded in Mexico I was able to find fill doctors through Synchrony Health/Cincinnati Weight Loss.

I travel near Columbus and had to pay a $300 patient transfer fee and $50 cost per fill. I had a fill done there recently and they were very professional and easy to work with. Not to mention that everyone I saw at the office had a lapband and had found obvious success with it. I highly, recommend them . . . even if they were a lot more expensive they would be highly worth it. They are a joy to work with and the prices are unbelievably reasonable.