Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a hard time getting my recommended 60g of Protein a day now. I refuse to drink any more Unjury. Just the smell makes me gag. Any suggestions on how you get all your protein in? Some days I may skip Breakfast just because I am not hungry at all, so I think that is where I am falling short of meeting my goals.

If you are now on solids you shouldn't be drinking your calories, so it's better not to do it with shakes. (my 0.02, feel free to ignore :thumbdown:) The exception is your daily milk servings.

How many calories are you taking in and what are you eating? Most meat (including fish & chicken) has about 7g of Protein per ounce. So if you are eating 3 oz of Protein at each meal, you're golden.

Skipping breakfast is not a good idea, but you know that already I think. You need to kickstart your metabolism in the morning. If you really really can't do protein in the morning, get it with a mid-morning or afternoon snack. Go to the "diet" section of your local drugstore or health food store and try out some of the Protein Bars if having some deli meat doesn't work for you. I have found a couple different kinds that I like, and sometimes have one for my afternoon snack because lunch and dinner are too far apart for me.

i add tofu to everything that i eat (drink) right now. it adds about 7g of Protein, depending on how much tofu i add. it takes on the flavor of whatever you mix it with. i have a couple of days before i start mushies, but even then i think i will continue to add the tofu for that extra Protein.< /p>

funny what you said about unjury, i just got my samples and think they are good.

If you are now on solids you shouldn't be drinking your calories, so it's better not to do it with shakes. (my 0.02, feel free to ignore :thumbdown:) The exception is your daily milk servings.

ideally, yes.

but when most reach good restriction, solid in the AM is more than likely impossible. shake is better than skipping all together.

but when most reach good restriction, solid in the AM is more than likely impossible. shake is better than skipping all together.

I would agree that a shake is better than skipping altogether -- we need to get our metabolism going in the morning.

If one doesn't like the taste of shakes, and is too tight to eat, it's not the only way to get breakfast. You can do yogurt or latte for your dairy, have some hot Cereal that is mushy, or something like that. Milk has enough Protein to get you started, and there's time enough in the rest of the day to get in enough Protein, even when it's 60g.

It's good to try drinking something hot to see if it will loosen up the band enough in the morning to eat. I've got good restriction but don't have trouble eating solids in the morning. Maybe I'm just weird. I know I'm not too loose -- I can barely get in my 2-3 oz of protein and 1/2 c of veggies at a meal.

Here is what I do because I'm very tight in the mornings. I have a slim fast blended with frozen strawberries. I sometimes will have a Light&Fluffy Yoplait yogurt. This is what my doctor has told me to do. Another thing that has really helped me is I use the FitDay web site. Its free and it will show you exactly how much Protein you are getting in. It tells you a lot of useful things that really keep me on the right eating track .

I'm very much a newbie guys but milk seems an easy and obvious way of getting in some Protein. It goes down for me as easy as clear fluids and one litre of milk has at least 30g Protein. The protein count is the same in whole milk, semi-skimmed or skimmed since the skimming removes fat and not protein.

I've tried Protein shakes but they sometimes lie heavy on my stomach and I find it harder to get them in

Gordon

I'm all for fat free milk, Gordon. Great way to get some lean Protein and some Calcium. I drink a pint every day. In fact, I fill a little one pint container and I used it during the day for Soup or whatever cooking and then when I want a small drink, I take one (hey - it's MY container). :wub:

With my restriction, I cannot get my 60 - 80 grams of Protein in daily, even with drinking skim milk.

So every day I use IDS Multi Pro belgian chocolate powder with water--and it tastes terrific! (amazon.com has a ton of various flavors in different sizes)

I keep a mental note of how much Protein I've had, and if I'm still short in the evening, I'll have another. (I checked with my surgeon just last Friday, and he approved of one to two shakes a day.)

I have yet to find a canned drink that doesn't taste tinny, that is really good. (I keep Zoic on hand for convenience only, because it has 1/2 the calories of Slim Fast Lo Carb, less carbs and fats and more protein--but it tastes as bad as all the other canned drinks--that have low carbs, that is)...:wub:

Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas. I know I should not be drinking my calories, but I am still kinda stuck in the old diet phase of "Do not eat if you are not hungry". Did that too many years and it is hard to break the habit. I know breakfast is important, but sometimes I just find eggs and cheese too boring. I did find a South Beach bar that has 19g Protein, 220 calories. High in calories I know, but a good alternitave for me vs. no breakfast.

Edited by jst4kel

I would recommend Beneprotein powder...you can mix a scoop of it into any liquid or soft food (yogurt, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc.) and it is tasteless and doesn't change the texture. It adds 6 grams of Protein and only 25 calories!

I haven't been able to find Beneprotein in stores, but I just ordered some from Walgreens online and it was very reasonably priced, and right now they've been offering free shipping. Here's the link in case you're interested:

Beneprotein Instant Protein Powder | Resource | Walgreens