Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr J Lo -brachioplasty results - not happy

Dr J Lo,

Thanks for answering my prior question on Brachioplasty and dog ears. I had my srugery on 2/14/08 and looks like I did not get them, however I am not 100% happy with my resluts. I have no loose skin at all, which I am very happy about, but I still have fat, flabby arms. I am really bordering on asking myself why did I sacrifice having these long scars and still have big arms? My PS felt he really didn't need to combine Lipo with the procedure, so now I am wondering if this is why my arms are still so big and flabby. Did I walk into this with unrealistic expectations? I guess I trusted his opionion at the consult, and now I am second guessing myself. I am scheduled to have my TT with the same surgeon in June, and now I am having second thoughts. Will I come out of that surgery disaapointed too (he will not lipo my stomach - but he will do my back fat)? I did asked him if this is as small as he could get my arms and he said that he couldn't take too much off at once, or else I could end up with a condition that would leave me very very swollen. I want to schedule another consult with a different surgeon for my TT, and maybe to discuss a revision on my brachioplasty (which I know is too soon, just wanted a second set of eyes). I did ask my PS if it would be possible to get a revision by getting lipo on my arms, and he said no that would leave me with loose skin. It makes me feel like I am stuck with what he gave me.

Sorry so long, please any advice would be appreciated. I really like my PS, but now I am scared that I will not be happy again.

PS Do some Plastic Surgeons not like doing lipo? Is it really a bigger risk to blood flow during surgery as my surgeon has mentioned?

Sorry I forgot to add that he removed 5 inches from each arm (almost 2 pounds)

Thanks

Eugenia

wow, you had a lot to remove. I wonder if that is why he couldn't do much more. I don't have that much to remove so we are going to have an incision just under my arm and not down the side of it. Truthfully speaking, you need to follow your God given intuition on this one. I would go to the other plastic surgeon and show him the results and ask for a 2nd opinion. Don't be afraid to have your TT done with someone else if you feel the need. He may also lend you an ear on how to revise your arms. Best of luck to you! Good job on your weight loss.

Thanks for the reply Julie. You know I can't sleep some nights thinking "what if" or did I make a big mistake going with this PS. I have already scheduled 2 additional consults for my TT. I just want to make sure I will get the best possible results this time. These 2 consults will be with surgeons that have experience with WLS patients. Maybe that's where I went wrong before :rolleyes: Thanks again for your advice.

Eugenia

Thanks losingjusme, you are right. I have pretty much made up my mind that I won't be going back to this PS. BTW - I am very interested in the extended TT (which this surgeon is against), what is the biggest difference between and regular TT and extended? From my research it seems that with extended there is more take from the back area, am I correct? Thanks again for your advice.

Eugenia

You will know when you find the right plastic surgeon. I wanted to hug her I liked her so much. I am really glad you are looking into other surgeons. I believe you will find the right one. P.S. Don't be afraid to have your arms revised. It sounds like there are a lot of positive posibilities with that. Good luck!

Thanks losingjusme, you are right. I have pretty much made up my mind that I won't be going back to this PS. BTW - I am very interested in the extended TT (which this surgeon is against), what is the biggest difference between and regular TT and extended? From my research it seems that with extended there is more take from the back area, am I correct? Thanks again for your advice.

Eugenia

hi Eugenia,

the ext TT goes around my sides and part of my back. on one side he cut 2 vertical incisions as well to ensure i would not have any 'dog ears'. my left side is also a little further back than my right, but the incision is completely covered by a very skimpy thong.

i am SO pleased with my surgeon...

attached are 2 pics .. i put a black line where my 'front' ends. this is 9 days post op.

Thanks so much for clarification and pictures. That is a really good incision, I am so glad you are happy with your results. it's not nearly as bad of an incision as I thought. I will definately ask the other 2 PS about the extended. You have given me confidence. Thanks again.

Eugenia

You know Julie, I am feeling a relief already just knowing that I am on the search again for a new surgeon. Yes, I will be asking them both to take a look see at my arms. I know they are still fresh, but a second eye doesn't hurt. I will ask about future revisions on them as well.

Eugenia

Keep the faith. There are some awesome plastic surgeons out there. I just know you will find the right one next time and look like a million bucks! You are doing so great. I am so happy for you. You must look wonderful! I am 10 lbs away from plastivc surgery myself. I am going to have an extended Tummy Tuck, breast lift with implants, upper thigh lift and my arms done. Thankfully with the arms she can make an incision under my arm and just pull in the lose skin. My arms aren't that bad. My stomach is the worst, it really hangs down. Let me know how it goes with the other plastic surgeons okay.

Wow 10 lbs is just around the corner! Sounds like you have a great PS plan. I wish you the best, and please keep me updated on yor progress, I will keep you updated on mine as well.

Eugenia

Eugenia: Could your arms still be swollen from the surgery? Do you think the way they look now is the final result? I'm trying to decide if I will get my arms done. How painful was the recovery? Did you wear compression garments on your arms? Do you have any pictures? I just had a Tummy Tuck, BL, BA and Lipo and I couldn't be happier with the results. I think that plastics could get addicting, because the possibilities to resculpt the body are incredible. Anyway, good luck finding a surgeon you feel comfortable with!

Karey,

Thanks so much for responding. Yes you are right, a lot of swelling has gone down since I wrote that past. As a matter of fact they are really starting to look a lot better (still not 100% though). I still have some swelling, but that should go away within the next month or two. If I had to do it all over again I would. I had 2 consults so far for my Tummy Tuck and to be honest I am not nearly as comfortable with them as I am with my PS that did my arms. So I think I am staying with him. The other two PS I had consults with were amazed at how much he took off my arms (I showed them my before pix). They both commented on how good of a job he did and how nice my scars were. I think that sealed it for me.

As far as pain, there was no pain at all with this surgery. the drains were the worst part of the entire process. I had them in for 4 days. I stayed on pain meds for about 4 days as well. I was back to work on day 6. I am sure the TT won't be as easy, but I am prepared. I took 2 weeks off from work, hope that was enough.

How did your TT go? Are you pleased with the results? I am looking forward to having a flat tummy.

Eugenia

Hi Eugenia

I read your original post the day after I had my own arm lift (in Belgium) and Ive been wondering the same thing about my own - he didnt do any Lipo. He took off about 4 inches at the widest and according to my measurement they were 15" to start with. Still look a bit bulky to me with dressing on and have not seen them without the bandages yet. Its good to know that they are still likely to subside a bit even after a month. My procedure was surprisingly painfree I must admit.

Im glad youre happier now than you were last week.

Regards

Ellen

Hi Ellen,

I so wish I had more patience when it comes to arms. I guess I was expecting them to be perfect when I took the wraps off. I really am happier as every day passes. I am glad that I did go for 2 second opinions. Even though my family thought they looked wonderful, I really wanted to get another PS opinion, and now I am glald I did. I went out yesterday and bought a few new short sleeve and sleeveless shirts, I tried them on and was absolutely thrilled. Best wishes and I am sure you will be happy with your results too. Just remember the swelling lasts for some time, but when it does go down it looks great.

Eugenia