Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you vomit/PB?

How often do you vomit/PB?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you vomit/PB?

• 3+ times daily
    • Daily
    • A few times a week
    • Never

I've been banded for about 5 months and the ONLY time I PB is if I take too big of a bite or eat too fast.

You have to listen to your band and I think when we do PB or slime it's telling us to SLOW DOWN!

I think I've finally hit my sweet spot, and I couldn't be happier:) And I'm down 45 lbs in 4 1/2 months!

Ladies,

I really need your help, because I am extremely frustrated and at my wits' end.

I was banded in June of 2006. I have never been able to tolerate more than 1 cc in my fill, and have always pb'd at least once a day or once every other day when I had my fill. I have even thrown up on occasion with no fill. I had a hard time eating many kinds of food. I could not eat meat unless it was chopped up very fine. I could not eat anything like broccoli when I had the 1cc fill. I could not eat any kind of bread or anything that was doughy at all.

I know part of the problem was that my teeth are not in the best shape, and at times I would swallow without chewing enough. But I never had more than 1cc in the fill and pb'd on a daily or almost daily basis. I thought this was something I just had to tolerate.

I lost 55 lbs the 1st 8 months. Toward the end of the 8 months when I got 1cc refilled, it didn't seem like I had very much restriction, so the doctor put in 2cc's, which had to be taken out after 3 days, because I could not eat anything and was constanty nauseated and vomiting.

At this point the doctor told me to not have a fill for awhile. I agreed because I was so tired of the hassle.

After about 4 months I tried again. Ever since, I have not been able to tolerate even 1cc. I have had 1cc put in 4 or 5 different times, but each time I had to have it taken right back out.

I did not get a fill again for about 9 months. I gained back about 25 lbs. Part of the reason for this is that I was eating sweets with milk all the time, because that was the only thing that I could eat that did not make me feel uncomfortable or nauseated, even with no fill. I would still pb infrequently and could not hardly eat meat.

My blood pressure started to go back up. My sleep apnea was starting to return. I knew it was only a matter of time before the diabetes returned. I decided to go in for a fill and drink only liquids for at least 2 weeks.

After this fill, I again could hardly tolerate anything. I couldn't eat Soup. I could eat pudding and Jello sometimes. I could usually dring milkshakes, but could not drink milk (weird). I was pb'ing every day. I was having bad reflux at times too, sometimes waking up choking. I tried taking acid reduction medicine. It barely helped. Something weird that happens every time I try and eat and have problems, is that I would have actual PAIN when the food was trying to go through the stoma. I could feel it almost every time. It caused pain and nausea. I could also feel a strange pulsated sensation when the food was trying to go through, like one of my arteries was being pushed up to the top of my stomach where I coud feel it. Once the food went through or came up, that sensation goes away, but the pain and nauseau would last.

Finally, after 5 weeks, I couldn't stand it anymore and went back to the doctor. He took the fill out and told me there was nothing else he could do for me. He even charged me another $100 dollars to take the fill OUT, saying that if I would have asked him to take it out after a week, he wouldn't have charged me.

The only thing he did when I complained of having all of these problems was he had me go under fluroscopy one time. I was able to pass Water, so he said I was fine. (This was about 8 months ago). He told me that I shouldn't be nauseated or throwing up everyday, but he mostly said that I probably was eating things I shouldn't.

Because he seemed unconcerned all of this time, I thought I just had to tolerate my condition.

Now he is telling me that I need to go to another doctor to have a gastric sleeve, because the lapband "is not working". Insurance doesn't cover the gastric sleeve and I do not feel comfortable with having an irreversible procedure that takes out 70-80% of my stomach.

I need to lose about 50 more lbs., at the most 100. I am 5'6" and weigh 245 right now. Any time I go over 250, my secondary conditions start to come back.

I really am becoming more and more convinced that my doctor has done something wrong with my band, and has not been concerned and caring enough with me to worry about it until now.

The last time I was in his office and he referred me to the new bariatric doctor for the sleeve he was acting kind've guilty and worried, like he was afraid that there was something wrong with me and was afraid to take responsibility for it.

Even without any fill, I still am feeling pain at times, especially in the mornings. I sometimes feel pain and nausea when I eat. I still feel restriction. I still am getting acid reflux, just not as bad.

What do you all suggest I do?

I think the thing that I should do is see the bariatric doctor he referred me to and tell him my situation, and see what he suggests.

My family has been telling me to get a 2nd opinion for awhile, but I thought that a lot of people had my same

symptoms. I even called another doctor's office to inquire about an appointment, and they acted like I should just stay with my first doctor.

I think what probably should be done is for them to do exploratory surgery to see what is wrong with this band, most likely take it out, and then reband me. I realize now that what I am going through is not right at ALL. Even the doctor told me this time that he has not heard of having pain when the food is trying to go through.

I don't think the sleeve is the answer. I think there is something wrong with this band. Slippage, herniation or something. This doctor did not really inquire about or worry or warn me about any of this until this last visit.

Any advice you can give me I will GREATLY appreciate!!

before getting a fill i never used to PB, but once i recieved my first fill i started doing it a lot more (at least once a day). I think when you get a fill you need to adjust to the fill...and it just takes time. I am 3weeks out since the last fill and i don't PB anymore! But I do feel like i have lost a bit of restriction. (but I am still loosing).

ancha85

I think the thing that I should do is see the bariatric doctor he referred me to and tell him my situation, and see what he suggests.

[/Quote]That is exactly what you should do. Something is very wrong from your description of your experience. Get to see that other doc as soon as possible.

Keep us updated please.

Except for the past 10 days, I've PB'd twice and both times, I was at fault for eating way too fast once and the other time for taking too big a bite.

The last 10 days, it's been every day but it is related to having a crappy cold with a ton of mucus drainage that has caused me problems. Finally, last night, I ate my dinner without a problem so I think I'm back to "me".

Try cutting your food into small bites before you eat, not while you eat. Take a minute to really make those bits no bigger than a nickle. Then, when you sit down to eat, take your time. Put your fork down between bites. If you still have a consistent problem, then it's time for a small unfill.

Its been 2 weeks since my most recent fill. Most of my PBs aren't that bad. One lurch and it comes up usually. I did have a really bad one with eggs on Saturday. eggs are the devil.

I am at 6.5 cc's...mornings are not good for most any kind of food with me! By noon, some foods, but I have to be very mindful of small bites and a thousand chews. By evening, I'm good to go with dinner.

I was banded March 12, 09 and am still wondering how I'll know my sweet spot! I lost 46 pounds before first banded and have spent the past two months sliding back and forth with the same two pounds.

However, all health issues were resolved by the third day and are gone, so, all is well!!!

That is exactly what you should do. Something is very wrong from your description of your experience. Get to see that other doc as soon as possible.

Keep us updated please.

Thanks for the advice and the concern. I'll be sure to update once I go to the new doctor.:cursing:

I have had my band for eight months and have pb'd twice since my last fill which was on May 18th. I do not think that I am too full as a matter of fact I think I need a little more, because I can still eat to much of everything, bread included. The two times that I pb'd I was really hungry and ate way to fast. Two bites in and I was stuck. I have been stuck before and it always works it way down, but not these two time. The only time I have problems is if I let myself go to long between meals and get hungry.

I know this isn't a Marist Poll but still the fact that 60% of those polled PB on a regular basis is troubling to me.

A large part of this process is behavior modification and I have to wonder if some of these folks didn't have their restriction ramped up too quickly (which would achieve WL) and perhaps didn't have a chance to learn the new behaviors?

I say this not to judge anyone, but because why should you accept pb-ing as a daily fact of life? Isn't accepting PB's as the norm just exchanging one unhealthy lifestyle for another?

Isn't the purpose of the band to move you towards a healthier life?

I think we need to stop looking at the band as a tool. You use a tool to achieve a desired result, but with most tools - its a one way street.

I perfer to think of my band as a business partnership. You benefit from a business partnership. Each partner brings to the table something. For me the band brought forced Portion Control and carb control early on - while I brought my willingness to change my habits, make better choices. And as will all great partnership - if one of the partners once in a while wants a cookie so be it.

This conculdes the Dr. Phil portion of this post.

I know this isn't a Marist Poll but still the fact that 60% of those polled PB on a regular basis is troubling to me.

A large part of this process is behavior modification and I have to wonder if some of these folks didn't have their restriction ramped up too quickly (which would achieve WL) and perhaps didn't have a chance to learn the new behaviors?

I say this not to judge anyone, but because why should you accept pb-ing as a daily fact of life? Isn't accepting PB's as the norm just exchanging one unhealthy lifestyle for another?

Isn't the purpose of the band to move you towards a healthier life?

I think we need to stop looking at the band as a tool. You use a tool to achieve a desired result, but with most tools - its a one way street.

I perfer to think of my band as a business partnership. You benefit from a business partnership. Each partner brings to the table something. For me the band brought forced Portion Control and carb control early on - while I brought my willingness to change my habits, make better choices. And as will all great partnership - if one of the partners once in a while wants a cookie so be it.

This conculdes the Dr. Phil portion of this post.

I understand what you are saying to a degree, but you have to look at each person on an individual basis.

For instance, in my case I have NEVER been able to tolerate more that 1 CC, and now I cannot even tolerate that! So for me it s not a case of ramping up my restriction too rapidly, I barely have any amount of a fill at all, yet I pb with 1 CC.

Since I had my last fill and had it removed, I still sometimes wake up with acid reflux (not bad, but I do) and I still feel restriction sometimes, to the point of feeling pain around my stoma when the food is trying to pass through. At least with NO fill the food 90% of the time will go through (not 100%!), but with the 1 CC, almost NOTHING will go through.

I truly think something is wrong. If my doctor would have told me that me pb'ing on a normal basis was not a normal thing the other 4 or 5 fills before this last one, I would have realized that it was not normal and would have gotten a 2nd opinion sooner.

I do understand now though that pb'ing is NOT normal, and it is possible that if someone thinks it is OK to live that way on a daily basis, it is almost like someone is saying that it is OK to be bulemic.

If anyone else reading this thinks that pb'ing frequently is "normal" or if their doctor doesn't seem concerned about them pb'ing (mine wasn't, at least he didn't bother to talk to me about that really), then please get a 2nd opinion.

I am going to do that ASAP. :)

Tammy

Edited by ancha85
left out words

Ancha85, do you have nothing in your band now, or still 1cc? I know you think 1cc should not be too tight, but for you, it may be. Most people require numerous fills to find restriction, but some lose weight and never get a fill. I had restriction just from having my band put on and do not get big fills. I am only up to 2ccs and I sometimes feel as if it is maybe a little tight than I want. You may be a person who doesn't require fills to have restriction.

Seek the second opinion and try to get something for the reflux. You shouldn't have to be miserable like that. Good luck.

Ancha85, do you have nothing in your band now, or still 1cc? I know you think 1cc should not be too tight, but for you, it may be. Most people require numerous fills to find restriction, but some lose weight and never get a fill. I had restriction just from having my band put on and do not get big fills. I am only up to 2ccs and I sometimes feel as if it is maybe a little tight than I want. You may be a person who doesn't require fills to have restriction.

Seek the second opinion and try to get something for the reflux. You shouldn't have to be miserable like that. Good luck.

No, I had the 1cc taken out a week and a half ago. I am going to make an appt. with the new doctor tomorrow.

Thank you for being concerned and thoughtful!:)

Tammy,

I know this can be hard to hear but the band does not work for everyone. There might not be anything wrong with your band. Some people just cannot tolerate having something around their stomach. Why are you against the sleeve, may I ask? There are many people on this very board who had problems like you describe and have revised to a sleeve. I wouldn't rule that out as an option. Definitely check into everything and see a new doctor. I wish you the best of luck.

As for PB'ing eveyday, it is not normal. I don't care what people say. This board really concerns me at times because it seems as though people will put up with anything to be thin. That makes me sad. Throwing up everyday is not normal and it can be harmful to you. If it's happening, you need to find out why.

Thanks for your input NurseMelly.

The main reason I don't want the sleeve, is that I'm 90% sure my insurance will not pay for it, and I do not have $10,000 to pay for it out of pocket.

The second reason is because I am not comfortable having an irreversible surgery that takes away 70-80% of my stomach.

At least with lapband, I am able to do something about it, when I am having all of these problems. When your stomach is gone it is GONE.

I understand that there are some people who cannot tolerate the band. I did OK the first 8-9 months and lost 55 lbs. I did pb frequently. Some days I could eat without pb'ing, some days I couldn't eat at all. I was able to pretty much handle it, though.

What worries me now, is that with just 1 cc, I have pain when the food tries to pass through the stoma. I mean pain so bad that it causes me to feel nauseated. Even things like oatmeal or milk.

Sometimes the food will finally go down, but usually it just comes right back up. Last month when I had the 1 cc fill, the only thing that I could eat without a problem or at least a LOT of restriction was a milkshake. I tried to last it out as long as I could only drinking the liquids, but after a little over a month, I was just miserable. I would try to eat something, to see if my stomach could tolerate it, but it would make me so sick.

It is just about impossible to live like that.

I'm making an appt. with the new dr. today.

Thanks for your concern,

Tammy ancha 85 :thumbdown:

Tammy, I am so glad you're going to be seeing another doctor. I hope they can get everything straightened out. Keep us posted on the outcome!