Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you vomit/PB?

How often do you vomit/PB?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you vomit/PB?

• 3+ times daily
    • Daily
    • A few times a week
    • Never

I would say only a few times during my whole journey, no more than five. There really isn't that option in the poll.

When I had the most trouble was when I was filled too tight. I had an adjustment to remove just a little bit, and it made a big difference.

Since my last fill, I have been vomiting almost daily. I finally have the restriction others have been talking about for months. I'm just wondering how often you all vomit. Is there a learning curve or will I be doing this forever?

Quite possible a learning curve. I'm down to once every week or two and it is almost always "user error." Most often I don't chew enough. I get in a hurry because everyone else is finished or I have some place to be and get stuck. If you are getting stuck on something that should pass easily or you are sure you're chewing everything well enough, then maybe you need a slight unfill.

how do you become unstuck!! I've tried liquids and chew chew chew still no luck just the hiccupburp. any suggestions

I read this on one of the other threads here and have tried it successfully a couple of times. I think I was told it was some type of yoga stretch. Basically, bend over backwards as far as you can with hands over your head (seated seems to work fine). It seems to open things up a bit more. I tried drinking and just had the liquid come up. I've also tried very small sips of warm liquid. And sometimes, nothing works but for it to come back up.

Hello All, I'm really glad I found this thread. I can use your advice. First, when we talk about Pb'ing are you referring to a 'small' vomit? More like spitting out all of the slime? Not a real 'I'm feeling nauseaus' [sp!] vomit? Since my last fill, about a month ago, I've been PB'ing a couple of times a week. And, as many of you had mentioned, probably due to user error - eating toooo fast, bites toooo big and eating too much. Just before the fill I had major allergies and a lot of mucus and post-nasal drip into my stomach. When I went in for my fill I told the PA that I was having a 'hot, raw' type feeling around my port area. I'm guessing this is also in the area of my pouch. She thought the post nasal drip might be irritating my stomach and told me to take Pepcid [or something similar] twice a day to help with the irritation. Could that irritation be reflux? I've never had it before so I just don't know what I'm feeling.

After reading the posts, I'm going to make a very conscious effort the change me eating behaviors to reduce the PB'ing. I'm afraid I may have done some damage to the band. And yes, I know I should make an appt to see the DR...just to be safe. But your comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I now understand the difference of pb (and what that means, cuz at first seeing the word I had no clue) and vomiting. I have been banded for 11 months, never vomited only pb a few times

Rarely, and it's usually when I've had bread. I've learned to either toast it very well or avoid it altogether.

This may sound weird, but I PB when I don't eat enough solids throughout the day. Like let's say I sleep in and don't eat first until noonish. Let's say I have a Protein shakes or or soft solid. By 4 pm I am still having a hard time with solids- and so on.

However, if I start earlier with soft solid (oatmeal, Fiber One Bar, Cereal, etc) I am great to eat and not pb throughout the day. My band likes to be streatched out throughout the day. The down side, by pm, I can eat almost anything, and overeat at night. The plus side, I know this now, so I eat just the right amount of solids to keep my band tight enough at night were I will get pain off the wrong foods.

What a wackey new life I have...

i occasionally pburp, do you think it is because i eat to fast or what i am eating at the time? i really dont feel im to tight because after eating sometimes im still hungry, i am very confused to get a fill or not

Im new to this tread, but looking for some advice. I am 8 months out and have been doing very well, only one PBing episode about 2 monthspost op, + UNTIL 2 days ago. I ate some left over chicken that didnt want to go or stay down...so it didnt. the following day i had another episode with something getting stuck. It was very uncomfortable for almost 2hours and then I made the dreaded mistake, I drank some water" and that litteraly pushed me over the edge. I pb'ed for what seemed like forever it just kept coming and coming, first the Water and then the food. After that it felt like my throat was swollen and it seemed as if every sip of water I took for the rest of the day just stayed at the back of my throat. Has anyone every experienced this? I'm thinkg that all the PBing irratated my throat? Do you think maybe my throat is swollen and irratated> my last fill was more than 6 weeks ago, so I'm thinkg I'm not to tight. I dont know know whats going on here. HELP!

while I haven't experienced the same, from what I've read on similar threads... it does sound like your stomach is inflamed from the amount of pb'ing. Most suggest doing fluids for a day to allow it to recover.

Back to Protein Drinks for a day, then take it slow with soft foods to test it out. If problems persist, you can check with doc, but I bet a day or two of Fluid then soft food will have you back to normal. similar to right after a fill. Good luck, hope you're back to normal quickly.

while I haven't experienced the same, from what I've read on similar threads... it does sound like your stomach is inflamed from the amount of pb'ing. Most suggest doing fluids for a day to allow it to recover.

Back to Protein drinks for a day, then take it slow with soft foods to test it out. If problems persist, you can check with doc, but I bet a day or two of Fluid then soft food will have you back to normal. similar to right after a fill. Good luck, hope you're back to normal quickly.

I hope thats going to dot he trick, I have NEVER felt like this before not even after a fill.

for me pb (productive burp) and vomiting are two VERY different things. If I eat too fast, too much, or the wrong thing, I might pb a little bit. For me this is a burp that feels like it is stuck and when I finally get it out I feel like a little bit of food comes up then it quickly goes back down. I pb sometimes, but not daily.

I have not vomited since I got my band about 3 months ago. To me vomit is when you have to find a toilet quickly and empty the contents of your stomach there.

i occasionally pburp, do you think it is because i eat to fast or what i am eating at the time? i really dont feel im to tight because after eating sometimes im still hungry, i am very confused to get a fill or not

This basically how I am too. I have only PBed twice. The first time - last week - it was a true PB. I thought I was going to spit, but a lot of food came up and out with the spit. So it was a true "spitup". There was no stomach convulsion or acid. Today, I half PBed and half vomited (I felt my stomach convulse once which is more like vomitting). So now, of course, I'm paranoid that my band has slipped (probably not, but I don't want to make vomitting a habit).

But sometimes I feel like I can eat quite a bit (including doughy carbs if I choose...I don't do this often, but on Sunday I had this Korean pancake which is a savory, very doughy seafood scallion pancake...I had one piece - its cut like a pizza - with no problems at all).

Im confused whether my food is not getting chewed well enough and is getting stuck, if I need another fill because I dont have restriction, if this is what restriction actually feels like. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This basically how I am too. I have only PBed twice. The first time - last week - it was a true PB. I thought I was going to spit, but a lot of food came up and out with the spit. So it was a true "spitup". There was no stomach convulsion or acid. Today, I half PBed and half vomited (I felt my stomach convulse once which is more like vomitting). So now, of course, I'm paranoid that my band has slipped (probably not, but I don't want to make vomitting a habit).

But sometimes I feel like I can eat quite a bit (including doughy carbs if I choose...I don't do this often, but on Sunday I had this Korean pancake which is a savory, very doughy seafood scallion pancake...I had one piece - its cut like a pizza - with no problems at all).

Im confused whether my food is not getting chewed well enough and is getting stuck, if I need another fill because I dont have restriction, if this is what restriction actually feels like. Any help is greatly appreciated!

For me, ideal restriction is that I can eat almost all foods comfortably and the restriction doesn't diminish quickly over time. (That has to do with losing the fat layer around the stomach too). Also, not eating teeny tiny bites and not chewing to a liquid mush and no pb'ing or sliming. That's not to say I won't make an occasional mistake and swallow something too fast, but it's my mistake, and not a routine occurrence because my band is too tight. My doctor leaves a 4 oz pouch, so three 1/2 cup meals, in addition to a 1/2 cup healthy snack, keep me satisfied for 4+ hours.

It took me a long time to get to that level of restriction, possibly do to my anatomy or who knows what, I had to get more than 9cc of saline in my 9cc band. Also, along the way, there were short periods of good restriction (sometimes a week to a month), and it wasn't as if I went from no restriction to ideal, but it took several fills to get me there.

Once I get to my goal, and go on maintenance, we'll try to find the fill level that allows me to eat one cup meals while not gaining weight.

Well, that's what I consider ideal restriction. One of the best things about the band is that it's adjustable, so what I consider ideal may be different from someone else, but we can, to a certain extent, find our own sweet spot.