Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you vomit/PB?

How often do you vomit/PB?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you vomit/PB?

• 3+ times daily
    • Daily
    • A few times a week
    • Never

I just lived 3 weeks w/ throwing up several times a day...went yesterday to dr. And he took out a tiny bit of Fluid and i ate my first meal in 3 weeks ;) yummy... While i was tooo tight i was making bad food choices b/c that was all that would stay down.. Now i'm back on track and loving life now that im not crabby& hungry anymore!!!!!!

OMG, that sounds just like me except mine has been 3 months. I have an appt Tuesday, but since I made the appointment I have been very careful to stay in my comfort zone (cream of wheat, chili, popcorn, ice cream, even got some salmon down last night) and haven't had a problem. But this seems to be the cycle...I have days of throwing up, make the appt, then everything is fine for four or five days, I cancel the appointment and then I start having bad days. go figure. I'm sure it's not psychological but that I get over confident on my eating ...but I'm not canceling this time. I am going to go out to eat dinner tonite and see how it goes. But I'm the same way...when it's hard to get food down, well, ice cream always makes its way...so baaaad choices.

Glad to hear it's better. I'm hoping I can convince doctor only to take out no more than .5 cc

trisha

I did have that problem. It turned out that I needed an unfill and also needed to take smaller bites and chew a lot more. I was told 25 chews before swallowing and take bites the size of an almond.

Good luck, hope ya figure it out soon, you don't want to throw up like that for long because you can make your band slip, not good.:thumbup:

well, I'm on day five of no PB'ing or vomiting. I'm thinking it's accepting things that I just can't eat, like crackers, Pasta, and certain vegetables. I was able to go out tonite and have salmon (3 oz and brought the rest home) and half a baked sweet potatoes. So right now all is good. Maybe canceling appt if I stay good until Monday. Was very tense about going out to eat since I hadn't been out since Xmas Eve and had issues. So maybe things are looking up

Trisha

I PB a lot right after a fill, but I think it's mostly because I haven't adjusted to the new way of eating. It takes time to learn, chew chew chew chew...

:brick:Well, i went about 10 days, then started coming down with what feels like a head cold- fever, cough, vomitting saliva,. Got liquid cold meds down and can at least swallow. i felt fine last nite, then bam

So I PB'd/vomited for the first time since getting banded (in July). I ate a bread item on my way to work. When I got to the parking lot, it started to feel stuck.

Next thing I know, I let it go right there on the road while sitting in my car (thank god I was parked and not still driving!). Was like a little bit of food and a whole lot of slime.

In the past, I had felt things rise in the back of my throat, but my gag reflex always pushed it back down. This time it came out!

I'm confused...

I was told vomit meant throwing up what is inside your stomach. This involves stomack muscles, right?

Since my last fill I have been spitting up frothy/foamy spit (clear) at night and often in the day time. No muscles involved just a thrust from my throat and out it comes.

I am vomitting?

Redbone sounds like you're PBing and if you've been doing that since your last fill you may be too tight. Question is is it after you've eaten or is it happening on it's own. If on its own you're probably too tight even if it's happening only at night. If it's after you've eaten only then smaller bites with a few minutes in between each bite should help.

Vomiting for some is the contents of your stomach..but when banded sometimes it's the contents of what just went down plus salava. For most with a band it's not a harsh muscle thing like when unbanded and you have the flu but, more like a bend over and cough and it all comes up. Although...from experience of being too tight at time and also suffering a band slip......bandsters can definitely throw up just like you had the flu. It's not pretty!

Anyway...if you're sliming or foaming alot....talk to your provider. He/she may suggest a slight unfill to help you out.

Redbone sounds like you're PBing and if you've been doing that since your last fill you may be too tight. Question is is it after you've eaten or is it happening on it's own. If on its own you're probably too tight even if it's happening only at night. If it's after you've eaten only then smaller bites with a few minutes in between each bite should help.

Vomiting for some is the contents of your stomach..but when banded sometimes it's the contents of what just went down plus salava. For most with a band it's not a harsh muscle thing like when unbanded and you have the flu but, more like a bend over and cough and it all comes up. Although...from experience of being too tight at time and also suffering a band slip......bandsters can definitely throw up just like you had the flu. It's not pretty!

Anyway...if you're sliming or foaming alot....talk to your provider. He/she may suggest a slight unfill to help you out.

thank you your knowledge of this subject!

I sent my Dr. an email today.

One last question though:

if I can eat just about anything as I did before this last fill, how can I be too tight?

Thanks in advance

Hello Redbone, I'm glad you sent the email...well sounds to me like you can't eat just about anything because you are PBing. Is there a chance that certain foods are getting stuck and you're not realizing it such as bread, Pasta or rice? All those things expand in your stomach before it digests. Or is it that you're eating the correct foods but, eating too fast and/or too big of bites? I know when my band is tighter or closer to that sweet spot I can no way no how eat bread, rice or Pasta and I have to chew really really well. What my doc told me is take the time to test it. Sit down when you're going to eat...literally pay attention to nothing else but your eating. Take a pea size bite of your food, put your fork/spoon down and chew well. Don't take another bite for two minutes. (DRIVES me insane doing this but, you get used to it and it's worth the time.) Take another bite, etc etc. Now....STOP as soon as you feel satisfied, not full, just not hungry anymore (even if it tastes great and your head really wants to finish what it thinks is barely a cup of food) just stop. You can always have more later. Now see if you're still sliming and/or pbing. If you are then your band is probably too tight. It may seem like you can eat anything but, pay attention to what it is you are eating. Is it mash potatoes, Soups, mushy type food? The true test is with solid Proteins like chicken and fish.

Now...I did have a slip and prolasps once and the above test helped because I knew something was wrong when I could eat more than a cup of food yet didn't feel well. Then I'd throw up...not just PB but literally throwup. Because I could eat alot but, it wouldn't go down to the lower part of my stomach. Very hard to explain. I'm not saying your band is slipped...that is for a doctor to determine but, do the test above for yourself and then check in with your doc on the results. He/she will know from that and your food journal if further testing like a swallow test is needed :)

Good luck :thumbup:

SherryW

I'm so glad you put this into perspective for me.

The last thing I want is a slipped band. I know I have been eatting too fast/much. I know this because I just got off a cruise.

I'm also certain I am too tight since I just had a fill 2 weeks ago. I felt tight right away. My Dr put 1 cc in and I couldn't swallow so she removed .2 cc. Thinking it was gonna keep me in check I didn't say anything but I still felt tight. I'm hoping to get another .3 cc removed. I eat a cup of food and am full, but I am uncomfortable still. I am constantly pushing a burp out or spitting the foamy spit out.

I hope this does the trick.

I really don't want to reomve too much.

Hi Redbone, I'm glad it helped. Sometimes a 1cc fill is too much so don't be too alarmed if the doc feels more needs to come out. For me, I can drink the Water right away after a fill it's the days that follow that I know my fill was too much. This time around we're doing just a little at a time. I have 2.5 in my 10cc band and you know what...I've been able to ask myself "am i really hungry or is just my brain hungry" Yesterday I didn't eat Breakfast (sometimes I"m too tight in the morning anyway) and for lunch I had a Protein shake because I'm still getting used to the fill but, only had it because I needed liquid anyway and wanted to make sure I got some Protein in and then for dinner...I had one scrambled egg. Totally satisfied. I know it won't stay like this but, I'm trying to get into the habit of really asking myself if I'm truly hungry. Being tighter isnt' necessarily always the answer :)

Good luck with your slight unfill. I hope it does the trick for you :)

I canceled my appointment to have some fill taken out. I'm doing better at adjusting to the tightness. Instead of every day, it seems like about 1 or 2 days out of the week I have issues. It also seems like if I have a bad day, if I just take it easy, stay on fluids and soft foods for that day and possibly the next day, it resolves itself. But I'm not sure why I'll have four or five really good days and then out of the blue...maybe I'm just getting overconfident and forget to slow down, who knows...food that I've eaten before will not agree. Yesterday was not a good day, stayed on Soups and Protein drinks for the balance of the day. By the evening things were good and today is going fine. But I'm hoping to stay at this level for a couple more months if I can continue to manage it. It's been a good losing weight level and I'm within 20 lbs of goal. Assuming I don't just get horribly sick of chili for lunch...lol

trish

I canceled my appointment to have some fill taken out. I'm doing better at adjusting to the tightness. Instead of every day, it seems like about 1 or 2 days out of the week I have issues. It also seems like if I have a bad day, if I just take it easy, stay on fluids and soft foods for that day and possibly the next day, it resolves itself. But I'm not sure why I'll have four or five really good days and then out of the blue...maybe I'm just getting overconfident and forget to slow down, who knows...food that I've eaten before will not agree. Yesterday was not a good day, stayed on Soups and Protein drinks for the balance of the day. By the evening things were good and today is going fine. But I'm hoping to stay at this level for a couple more months if I can continue to manage it. It's been a good losing weight level and I'm within 20 lbs of goal. Assuming I don't just get horribly sick of chili for lunch...lol

trish

You might want to make another appt just to get some peace of mind and let the doctor decide if he/she thinks you need an unfill. I was going through the same thing for about 6 months, eating things that were easy for me to eat and just tried to adjust to the tightness and thought maybe I was doing something wrong because like you I had good days/weeks and bad. During this time there was not alot of weightloss because I would eat more ice cream and just not good food choices, I would eat anything that would go down easy like soups, chili but never really felt satisfied. I have been in twice since November and gotten 2 unfills and the difference is amazing. I no longer want to eat/crave those other unhealty foods just to eat something. I eat healthier foods now and feel much more satisfied and comfortable. I now longer vomit/PB/or have acid reflux. I was told by my doctor this is not something to mess with as you can cause damage to your esophogus and she was pretty firm with me that I should not keep going on like this. She told me the band is there to help us eat LESS not make us NOT eat. I was sent for and Upper GI and need to go back on Thursday hoping no damage was done. Even if you don't need an unfill, it's better to present your issues to the doctor and be more safe than sorry later. Good Luck!