Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering if any of the cash pay patients have regretted paying the money. My husband and I are taking a loan of $12500 to cover the operation and I am in favor of him having the surgery, but our insurance flat out will not pay for it. I guess I am just a little nervous. Thanks.

On a side note, we have the appt for all the pre-op stuff on April 10 and see the surgeon on April 16 and our very excited for this. I guess I needed a place to just put it all out there.

Thanks.

Leslie

I self paid, and while I went out of the country and spent less than that, it was still one heck of a chunk of change!

I worried, and fretted, that I had just thrown thousands of dollars away---and it would only be another diet attempt that I would fail at.

Luckily, that has not happen! My first year with my band I lost over 80 pounds. I did not diet heavily, I have seriously tried to learn to eat healthy with the band. Use it eat today the way I want to eat from now on. This last year I have met with some other health issues--I had to have thyroid surgery, they thought it was cancerous--was a bit upsetting, and time consuming with all the testing. So I have pretty much just coasted the last few months, I have not seriously tried to lose more weight---I eat whatever everyone else does, in smaller amounts, and often in different ways. If I cook a roast, with potatoes and carrots for dinner, with say dinner rolls....I eat it. But my plate, a small plate will have a serving of roast, a few carrots, and maybe a bite or 2 of potato and that is it. I only have a small space to fill, so I now try to fill it with the best of the meal, Healthwise. I now buy groceries with quality in mind as opposed to quantity. And I spend less, the Snacks are expensive!! I still snack, but so much less!!! Not being hungry, makes such a huge difference!

I hate that I had to spend the money for this, #1 that I let myself get to the point of needing surgery. #2 I hate that my insurance yanked me around to where I had to self pay.

BUT----it has been worth every last penny!

I can run and play with my grandkids.

I can paint my own toe nails.

I can cross my legs.

I don't take a single prescription medication anymore-I used to take several!

I have excess energy instead of always feeling tired.

I am not to goal, but I look normal--I blend in---I am never the biggest in the room anymore.

My joints stand up to the long motorcycle trips now, they moaned and groaned before!

I can wear my leathers again!

I am able to ride my horse without fearing for his safety!

The list could go on, and on......worth every cent.

I feel my husband run his hand down my back when we hug----and I know he is not rubbing over rolls of fat anymore----and his arms wrap totally around me---and I am not embarassed for him to introduce me anymore. I feel like he can have the pride in me, that I have in him. Your husband may voice these last feelings, but I'd bet they are there. He will be gaining as much in freedom as he is going to lose in pounds.

And men seem to lose much FASTER! Unfair, but true!!

Welcome to LBT. Surgery such as this always brings lots of emotions and needs to vent--------come here anytime!!

Kat

I wasn't excited about spending it, but I did. At this point, I'm glad I did. But even if I end up failing, there's no reason for me to beat myself up over what's done.

Thanks for the encouragement. We one a trucking company, and the price of fuel is really hurting us so I guess that is where all of this stems from. I keep thinking that whatever happens with the economy cant take our health or us from each other, but obesity can. his goal is to loose 125 pounds after having this and he has lost up 85 before but couldnt keep it off.

thanks again for the encouragement. he wants to be able to tie his shoes too!

leslie

I spent 17K for mine, more than a lot have paid, but it did come with free lifetime fills and was local. The money did not come easily and I still owe a realtive for 10 of it, but I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. There has not been one thing that I have been unhappy about in regards to my lapband, I only wish that I could have had it sooner. I love my band!