Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you buy any clothes while your weight is transitioning down?

Also check out freecycle!!

a good friend of mine just shed all of her baby weight (70lbs) and has gotten a ton of really cute stuff that way!!

I have been getting the majority of my clothes from Steve and Barry's since they are having their $8.98 sale and also Old Navy.

I've only gone down one size, so I don't want to buy anything until I go down another. A couple of my pants are unwearable, but I refuse to buy anything until I'm in a 14/16. I've started buying a few things in that size- to help me get to my next goal! It's a little depressing to think I've only gone down one size- but then again, yey!

I started in a really tight 18. I didn't buy any 16's and waited until I was in a 14 to buy some clothes. I buy t-shirts at kohl's when they are on sale. I can wear them longer so occassionally I'll buy nicer shirts as well.

I've bought my jeans from Steve & Barry's because of their price. I have 2-3 pairs of jeans in each size as I was going down. Yeah I have to do laundry a little more often but that's ok.

My work has a very relaxed dress code (shorts & sweats are ok) but I mostly wear jeans or capris. My church is very casual as well so I mostly wear the jeans and capris there as well. It would be more difficult if I had to dress up (and not to mention much more expensive) :blink:

For Christmas I asked all family to either buy me clothing or give gift cards to places where I can get clothing.

My b-day was last month and I pretty much did the same thing again :eek:

I have just bought my first size 8's. My 10's still fit but are really comfy.

Thank God for this lap band!!!!!!

happy shopping!!!!!!

wombat

I started in a 26 and am now a 16/14. I started buying "lots" of clothing on Ebay. I would buy in lots for super cheap and only wear those I like. When I started to get into more mainstream sizes I went to Salvation Army and got some nice brand names for cheap. Lately I have been getting some super clearance deals at JCP and sears. I try to have pants in black, blue and brown and a pair of jeans. I get lots of tops because they are cheaper and seem to "last" longer-for several sizes. My plan is to sell my old clothes on Ebay this summer to raise funds for my new permanent wardrobe!!!! My original size goal was 14 but now I am thinking about a 10.:blink:

I work in an office so I half a$$ have to dress for work I bought some clothes when I got to a 14 (started out 18/20 pants and 22/24 tops) I had some 16 that didn't fit - Now i am in a 12/10 pants - went shopping again - but nothing too expensive - once I get to goal - i am going shopping on El Paseo - which is the Rodeo Drive of Palm Desert .... My gift to me :blink:)

Someone from this site sent me a bunch of pants and I went to Ross a lot. I also had some old clothes from my thin days. Unfortunately, some of those were frightfully out of style(remember high waisted jeans in the 1990s? and acid wash? HA!) I wore my old until people at work were literally telling me that my pants were WAY too big. Just check the clearance racks at your favorite stores and buy some basics until you get to goal.

I spent a ton of money on clothes while transitioning down. Probably $1500 or so. If you can't afford new I would try your local thrift shop or Salvation Army. How excting! Keep up the good work.

First thing to do is get someone you trust on all levels to keep an eye on you. I have two grown daughters who always look spectacular and know how to live on a budget. I made them promise to keep an eye on me and tell me when it was time to get go of something because it was too sloppy looking. I've given away the equivalent of two lawn and leaf sized garbage bags stuffed tight.

I make "clearance rack shopping" an exercise activity. Wear something close-fitting under a jacket so I can quickly slip things off and on between the racks without having to take everything to the dressing room. Ross, Marshall's, TJ Max are great places to find things. Personally, I think a lot of larger sizes end up on their racks because most large women stick to Catherine's, Avenue and Lane Bryant!

But my favorite, favorite, favorite is CATO. If you're fortunate enough to leave near one, check it out. I've been a professional seamstress for 27 years (and before you ask, I HATE sewing for myself!) and I will really and truly vouch for the quality of the clothes I've bought at CATO.

My first "shopping trip" was into the garage to the Rubbermaid bins I had stored there! I was pulling out things I hadn't worn in 5 to 8 years and was surprised at how many of them were from CATO and still looked excellent. Most everything in the store is under $30 each piece. And not too trendy. or too young. or too tacky.

A new store recently opened up called Marianne. I went in there before Christmas, but only ended up buying things for my girls. The styles all looked way to young for me. And truthfully, I didn't feel like the quality could touch CATO.

I'm really lucky because my daughter is a size smaller than I am and I can borrow her clothes. Now she is doing WW and she has gone down a size so I got her old wardrobe. Luclily for her she still had her "skinny" clothes packed away so she has been finding things to wear. I'm going to buy her a special occasion outfit that I like because I know it will eventually be mine :tongue:

Forgot to add that when I finally did do some NEW clothes shopping, I went to CATO first! and it spoiled me to every other store I went in! I couldn't bear paying the prices because I knew I could get more at CATO.

In two trips on a week I bought two skirts, four tops and 5 jackets and a purse for under $200! And I can mix and match them to get dozens of outfits out of them.

I make do with a lot of knits that fit multiple sizes (Target, Old Navy)--t shirts, skirts, dresses all fit pretty well even when I am technically a little too small for them. The only thing I have insisted on getting at each size is the correct size of jeans. I have 2 pairs of jeans in sizes 12 & 10, and just got a size 8 pair that fits. I'll probably buy another, but maybe not since I just started running a month ago. I buy Old Navy jeans, nothing really pricey of course. But I just can't stand when jeans get too saggy in the butt. That's just me. It also bugs my hubby, lol.

I am not terribly worried about having multiple sizes, though, and I haven't gotten rid of a lot of my big clothes, because I hope to reuse them (hopefully not the biggest ones!) as maternity clothes when I finish grad school. :tongue: If my band works as I hope it does, I won't gain more than 20 lbs with a pregnancy...but we'll see when/if I get there. (fingers crossed!)

I HAVE to. I went from 26/28 to 15.. 5xl to 1xl!

My trick is, I buy clearance items.. I look at oldnavy.com, torrid.com, fashionbug (whatever their website is), the fashionbug store here, etc. I find their clearance, and have found really awesome stuff for cheap (mostly tops). Things from $2-$8.. then use a discount coupon code I find from google for free shipping, or % off, etc.

The only thing I am spending a bit of money on is jeans. I have jeans I love, and Alloy.com is only place that sells jeans to fit my body (i have no hips/butt.. and tall). So I buy 3 pairs a month ($40 each approx.) in a new size, and rotate down.

I always buy clothes that are a a little tight in preparation for losing more weight. The trend has been that I buy 2 pairs of jeans every other month. My work pants is another story...luckily I still have some clothes from when I was a size 14, so I have been recycling those. I have bought new blouses just to keep things fresh. I hate looking sloppy. I am a clotheshorse and always have been. I used to spend $300 month on clothes. Now I spend about $200 every other month.

Yep, I suddenly felt like I should - for me :thumbup:

I had been wearing "rags" for so long because I didn't fit anything, and then slowly I could get back into some of my older, large clothes, and I kept thinking, no, wait...wait.....

Then an unexpected holiday came up, coupled with a change of season and that meant I could buy some not too expensive, everyday clothes to tide me over and make me feel a bit more presentable.

I'm not a bit clothes buyer, in quantity or $, but it sure is nice to have some new things that make me feel a bit nicer and like I'm getting somewhere :angry: