Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Yay Texas! Welcome back! For me, the first day was the bad day, and the second was bad only because I didn't get any sleep that night because of the nursing staff in my monitored room.

Rhonda, good to hear you've got the hang of consuming liquids with your new band. Can you move your chair to where you can see the dishwasher and yell out helpful tips like, "NO, chowderhead! The bowl goes open-side DOWN!!! How many times must I tell you this? Don't make me get my Taser!" etc.

Whoa, Frances! What FANTASTIC weight loss! Mad respect!

I say, screw bringing a soup! When she starts up, just dive across the table and throttle her! She's bigger than you, sure, but with your weight loss, you have the advantage of SPEED! Hit her low, she'll go down like a ton of bricks! It'll be an Easter Miracle! You'll become a family legend!

That said, bringing food you know you can eat is a good idea. A Soup, sure, or maybe a casserole - I'd bring something I loved so I wouldn't feel deprived. And since you're in the mushy phase now, you might want to go with something more solid than just a Soup. Soup for Easter would make me sad! (Sorry new banders - my heart goes out to you.)

Just don't go overboard on eating whatever you make!

And don't get too full! I worry that your sister-in-law might launch her counterattack after dinner, when she senses you're drowsy...

hey LOL you make me laugh..and we were banded on the same day YAY for us!!!!

Any good casarole ideas???? I cant think of anything my brain isnt working LOL....

How are you doing on the mushies??? they arent bad but wow am i ready for soft reg foods....

Maybe i can make some kind of shepards pie thing i dunno....

Thanks for the laughs and advice :embaressed_smile:

Seriously, Frances - my idea of the perfect Easter would be your husband and his brothers trying to drag you off the horrid sister-in-law as you jammed yellow marshmallow Peeps up her nostrils while yelling "HOWYA LIKE ME NOW, BIIII-ATCH???"

I've actually not really been pureeing things. I've thought about the texture the food needs to be, and just made sure things were soft. Anything soft would work - an egg dish, Pasta, hummus with soft pita (chew thoroughly). Obviously, the ideal thing would be something you could share with everyone. Although, depending on what part of the world you're from and your Easter traditions, there may be things you can have, like mashed potatoes, or sweet potato casserole etc.

The important thing is to take soft stuff, make sure you chew it thoroughly, and don't eat too much.

FENTON!!!! your too funny!!! i love ya hun!!! too bad his brother wouldnt his brother is so whipped by his wife its not even funny!!!!

Maybe i will make sweet potato cassarole or something that sounds good and so does some kind of egg salad thing maybe..i know she will have mash potatoes....

I am so not looking forward to going but i cant let me hubby down you know....well if anyone else has any ideas on food let me know!

Thanks again!!!

Well, I've officially joined the Shrinking Shamrocks after being banded yesterday. I had to be there at 7:00am yesterday morning, banded at 9:00am, and went home around 5:30pm after they did an x-ray to make sure there were no leaks. I didn't sleep very well last nite because it hurt so bad to lay down and get back up in bed, so I finally went and climbed in the recliner and slept half the night there, hoping that my cat and/or dog didn't decide to jump up on me. Anyway, made it thru the nite and I've been pretty sore today. I could only manage to choke down a 20 oz bottle of Protein Drink, 2 little cups of sf Jello and about 8 oz of beef broth today. I didn't have any urge to eat anything but knew I needed to get Fluid in me so I wouldn't dehydrated, so hopefully, tomorrow will be better. I'm still on Clear Liquids and come Saturday I can add creamy Soups and yogurt and V-8 juice. I'm not a tomatoe Soup eater and have never tried V-8 since I put it in the same category as tomatoe juice, by my DH bought some so I'll give it a try Saturday, I might surprise myself and find that I like it, lol. Anyway, I'm glad I've finally got my band, the wait for me was a long one..

Yay, Teri! Welcome aboard the Band Train!

Have you started moving around? The more you move around, the better you feel, and the more you understand that, really, you're just fine...

I haven't done much moving around even though my DH reminded me that when they discharged me they told me to walk 30 minutes a day which is suppose to help relieve the gas pain. The only walking I got in today was from the living room to the bathroom, lol. Guess I'll work on that tomorrow too..

Today I found that doing some *very* gentle stretches helped with the gas pains.....just lifting my arms all the way over my head and deep breathing.

It was a little rough today......kind of rib pain, I suppose where the port is attached.

And how much have YOU been moving, Harley? All of our bits are connected, and the more we move, the easier it gets for all of our bits.

It's interesting - the women seem to suffer more pain than the men. I wonder if this is because the men are fatter and the incisions are better insulated. Or maybe it has something to do with males tending to have larger muscle mass. I think that women, in general, have a higher pain tolerance then men.

I guess, also, the men could've been playing things down, but there really are very few complaints of pain in the Men's Room threads. And I had pretty much no pain.

But I'm worried about the stillness of my guts. I started Benefiber again today, and I'm going to take it regularly (pun: not intended).

Hi All,

Well, I head down to Mexico on the 23rd and have surgery on the 24th. I stay in the hospital a couple of days and then head back home. My insurance wouldn't cover my surgery because my BMI is only 33 and I have no co-morbidities. Good luck to you all.

Kari

It's interesting - the women seem to suffer more pain than the men. I wonder if this is because the men are fatter and the incisions are better insulated. Or maybe it has something to do with males tending to have larger muscle mass. I think that women, in general, have a higher pain tolerance then men.

Women may appear to have a higher tolerance because we're famous for going through childbirth often without any painkillers or complaints of pain beyond the actual delivery. That's because it's organic, natural pain -- it's part of the magic to keep our species alive, and our bodies are meant to deal with it.

Cutting and sewing into our bodies is inorganic, unnatural pain. It's not supposed to happen. I think we just aren't prepared for that -- although knowing upfront what kind of pain to expect (what is 'normal') does help deal with it. That's why we research and read these posts before surgery to get ready. But we're still surprised at it.

Now, why do men take the pain 'like men' and deal with it with less complaints? Beats me. I'm still trying to understand how my husband can sleep through his own snoring! :shades_smile:

official a march bandster. got home yesterday, surgery was 3/19. still lots of discomfort, mainly when trying get out of a chair or our of bed. some shoulder pain, but heating pain works great for that. 2 days of clear liquids ahead, bur feeling good.

walking is not issue.

Thanks for all the support. get back with another update soon

:shades_smile:

I was thinking since Easter is usually a traditional ham dinner with mashed potatoes and green bean casserole, I'd consider bringing along some Ham salad - eat some of her mashed potatoes and bring and mush up green bean casserole, they cook pretty soft. I'm still on liquids so this isn't what I get this year at Easter but I'll get through it. It is only 1 day of the rest of my life!!

Hi all:) Glad to see so many new bandsters out there! I was banded on 3/19.. I am having some issues with getting things down.. Shortly after I sip something it feels like a rock rises into my chest.. Ughh.. I called the nurse yesterday and today.. She said I need to get beyond popsicles and ice chips for now, and get something thicker down:(.. I am soo nervous.. This morning I have been so nauseous, and came sooooo close to throwing up.. Boy it scared me!

Right now I am sipping on 1/2c of chicken broth.. Per the nurse.. About a half hour after I get the broth down, I am going to work on a slim fast.. MMMMMM lol.. I am just not hungry, and don't like the feeling in my chest! I am down 4.5lbs since Wednesday morning?! I am definitely worried about not keeping up with the fluids.. So wish me luck.. I'm going to continue sipping away:)

~Kerri

Chica, I take your point, but it's not as if dudes are used to having ourselves cut open and sewn up, either. I think it must be something to do with the amount of fat or the distribution of fat or something.

jktbnelson - I'm sure your surgery will go nice'n'smoov, and hope that the trip back home will be relaxed and hasslefree.

lynn! Get moving! You'll feel better! Your body likes the feeling of everything settling down into its normal place.

And Kerri? How're you feeling this afternoon? Any relief? Have you been walking and moving? Because I bet that'll help.