Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Special K - Good luck on that test! Christine, My thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.

I had a fill today. I have only lost 3 lbs in 2 months!!! I was really, really struggling for about a month of that, but I was exercising and making good decisions for the most part. Then I hurt my foot and haven't been able to exercise. As soon as I quit exercising my choices started sliding. Hopefully this fill will help me get back on track. I have 2.8 ccs in a 4 cc band. Ladies in the office were talking about not being able to handle anything more than 1 cc in their bands. I have to say that I'm scared I will get my band completely full and still not have restriction. It was very interesting to see the barium swallow and watch how everything flowed right through the band. I knew the band wasn't stopping me! I guess this is when I need to just say suck it up and quit eating. I need a good a** kicking. 3 lbs in 2 months is completely unacceptable. I didn't spend $12,000 to just lose 40 lbs.

Good luck to everyone and thank you for being out there! It helps so much to read everyone's successes and failures.

Hi Shamrocks!

Well, it's been almost a month since I have posted. Life has been bloody busy. In my last semester of postgraduate, working two jobs and assignments and study is kicking my ass. I can't wait to finish in November.

On top of that, I'm having interviews at the moment (for a "real job" for next year) which is very stressful.

In band-related news, I'm going well! Just got to a total loss of 23kgs (51 lbs) as of today! Woohoo, fifty pounds!

I've only got 15kgs to go until I reach goal -- about 33 lbs.

I've found my sweet spot, after three fills. Hopefully it will not change now, I've been here about 2 months.

Well that's what is new with me. I had a quick skim-read of the 20 pages of posts I have missed, and I must say it seems to be drama drama drama! There has been hope, joy, tears, anxiety and near-death experiences. Quite an eventful month!

But what is most important is that there has been massive support among the Shamrocks, and that's what I love about you guys. I've missed it! I've made myself a resolution to check back at least every couple of days, despite the current disaster zone which is my life.

Sending out my love to all the Shamrocks!

Annie xoxoxox :biggrin:

you look awsome!!!!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

Glad to hear from you Annie... Sounds like you've been very busy and still staying on track, very impressive!!!! Congratulations on you being an over 50 pound loser!!! Fantastic!!!

christine--My prayers are with you and your family. I understand, first hand, how hard this time is for you! I do agree with Fenton, try to find a doctor that can take the decision out of your hands. It is hard to do, but it was the only way my family was able to be on the same page!

Kathy--Good luck with your exam! I am set to take one myself in Sept, but with the kids and summer fun, I have not even started to study! Yikes!

Hi Shamrocks!

Txgirl - I can relate to being a slow loser. I didn't lose weight for 2 months. I didn't have any restriction!

OK, I am finally successful in this band thing. I have crossed the line of 30 pounds lost and am 7 pounds away from needing to loose 99 more pounds. I can't wait to be in double digits for weight left to lose! I will also be under 250 at that point! While I am not at prime restriction, I anticipate it will happen the next fill!

HopeinApril, that's great! Sometimes our goals seem so far away, it's great when the scale starts moving. It's hard not to get discouraged when you give it your best and the scale doesn't budge!

I can certainly relate to the frustration and disappointment! I have not been doing so well over the last couple months. I have lost 40 lbs which is better than where I was headed before surgery, but I have not lost hardly anything in the last couple months. I have had 3 fills now and have not yet reached my "sweet spot". I can still eat whatever I want...or think I need...with no restrictions. The first 40 lbs came off so quick and easy and now I have stopped going to the gym, stopped drinking my Protein Drinks and find myself falling into some old habits. I've been going between 223 and 227 for the last two months. Sometimes I think it wasn't even worth the surgery because the first 40 lbs came off due to my hard work and not the surgery, I beleive. I was working with a personal trainer 2 times a week and going on my own 3 times a week. I was drinking high Protein slim fast for Breakfast and Soup for lunch, then a sensible dinner. Now I'm hungry all the time and have stopped working out in the past few weeks because my weight loss stopped. I am just very down about this whole thing right now. Anyone else feel this way or have any suggestions? I know I need to get back to the gym and start my protein drinks again, but it would be nice to hear that my feelings are normal and that others have gotten past this hurdle. Thanks!

Hey Folks...

So I think its about time I joined a support group....I am getting to the frustrating part of lap-band...the SLOW weight loss part.

I was banded on 3/18/08 and I an losing at about an average of 2 lbs a week.... i wish it was more like 4 lbs a week....

plus I am struggling to find my sweet spot because it changes (almost daily)

so i need some support as i walk through the ever constat struggle of weight loss!

Hope there is room for one more!

gabby

Steph....

so feeling your frustration.....I feel the EXACT same way! I just went for another fill today and i sware she took some out rather then put some in....I couldnt wait to get home and eat lunch...which after a good fill I never feel that way...just the Water in the office fills me for a few hours at the least...Oh weight loss is so frustrarting....

gabby

Welcome to the group gabby!

Txgirl - I also have fears that if they fill the band with as much as it will take and I still don't have restriction. I can definitely relate to that.

Steph -I can share some words of wisdom that someone else on this website gave me. When you are messing up, don't wait for the next day or Monday. Start new the next minute. I call it "next new minute".

To be honest, there were times when I thought about quitting. But, then I thought holy crap I paid $17k out of pocket for this, there is no way I can quit. Plus, the band is in me. I can't really stop. Even now, I can't eat quickly or not chew well. I also go back to the reasons I did this in the first place. I don't want to be this big. I don't want to struggle to walk up 2 flights of stairs. (no elevator in my building where I work). I already got rid of all my bigger clothes. (I kept one pair of pants for a reality check). I pulled out pictures of me pre-op and looked at current ones. I have to admit some of this stuff made me really realize that I don't want to quit.

My doctors group is getting much better about the fills. They encourage us to come back and get a fill if you have no restriction.

I am also trying to give myself a break and not be angry at myself for screwing up, when I have. As many here have said, we are human. This is a new lifestyle. Not something we do for a few months to loose the weight, then go back to our old ways. I went to a support group meeting on Wednesday for people who are stuggling. There were all kinds of people there. One lady was 7 years out. She looked tiny. But, she admits that she is very careful as she had gained some of her weight back and had to loose it again.

I'll be honest, I had some real crappy emotional stuff going on. I am an emotional eater. I am working on trying to re-train myself as to the emotional eating. I can honestly say that I don't exercise when I am upset. I have in the past, but it is not my first choice. The nearest good tasting, crappy for me food is what I reach for. I am trying to re-train myself to do something else.

I think all this re-trainging is VERY hard. The doctor at the support group said while it takes 3 weeks to start a new habit, it takes about 6 months for it to become a habit!

OK, I am a little windy today. I hope this helps anyone else on the board.

Edited by hopeinapril

I wish I could say I'm past this hurdle, but I'm not. Hopefully when I can start exercising again I will start losing again. I had a fill Wednesday and started solids today. Yep, still no restriction. Everything just goes right on down.

Gabby-Welcome!!! There is always room for more!!!!!

Hope- I too am an emotional eater, I have been working for months with this and even hired a life coach to help me in this area. The way she explained it to me that has made the best sense is this... Our subconscious has been programmed over the years to eat when stressed, to the point it is not really even a conscious decision. It has become hardwired into our brains!!! Now, to undo that, we need to identify that and stop and ask ourself if I am really hungry or am I just reaching for comfort. If it is not true hunger, replace it with something... a quick walk, pick up the phone call a friend, get online with LBT, or something else!!! She said everytime we can do that it is like peeling of a tiny thread off of a very thick communication cable... eventually that cable will weaken and healthy alternatives will be more of a pattern instead. I am still a work in progress, but looking at it in this way has helped me to feel in control!!!!

Steph- I posted this before here, maybe it will help. Maybe this will satisfy your hunger and if you get back to the gym it will give you a jump start!!!! Hang in there. I have been hungry lately and am to have a fill on Wed. I hope it helps me, I can eat way too much and I want it to be better!!!! I have noticed that certain foods do hang out longer in my pouch and give me that fuller feeling... for some reason tuna salad, it is far from being my favorite but it works!!!

How to break a plateau:

Do this for 10 days to break a plateau

Drink 2 Quarts of Water per day

You must have 45 grams of Protein supplements and take all of your vitamins/mineral supplements each day.

You can consume up to 3oz of the following high Protein foods 5 times a day:

Beef, Pork, chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Fish, eggs, Low-fat cheese, Cottage cheese, plain yogurt/artificially sweentened, Peanut Butter, Beans/Legumes.

You may also have:

Sugar free popsicles

Tea or coffee

Sugar free Jello

Broths/bouillions

Crystal light drinks

If its not on the list, don't eat it. Keep a food diary and try to get up to 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Gabby-Welcome!!! There is always room for more!!!!!

Hope- I too am an emotional eater, I have been working for months with this and even hired a life coach to help me in this area. The way she explained it to me that has made the best sense is this... Our subconscious has been programmed over the years to eat when stressed, to the point it is not really even a conscious decision. It has become hardwired into our brains!!! Now, to undo that, we need to identify that and stop and ask ourself if I am really hungry or am I just reaching for comfort. If it is not true hunger, replace it with something... a quick walk, pick up the phone call a friend, get online with LBT, or something else!!! She said everytime we can do that it is like peeling of a tiny thread off of a very thick communication cable... eventually that cable will weaken and healthy alternatives will be more of a pattern instead. I am still a work in progress, but looking at it in this way has helped me to feel in control!!!!

That really makes sense.....esp for some of us that are a little longer in years, it's really been a long journey to get to the mess we're in.....going uphill is always harder than going downhill, so it's going to be a time consuming and sometimes tedious process to get back to good health and good habits.

I have made some huge changes that I feel confident are here to stay....after five months, I no longer eye the candy bars at the checkout line and lust for one....I really don't even notice they are there now, but at first I had to consciously avoid looking at them lest I get caught in their lustful chocolate tracter beams.....

I don't think about making a Peanut Butter sandwich when I just want something to eat.....I usually grab a glass of ice Water or a crystal light when I 'just want something'. I don't even think about bread anymore...I am constantly amazed at how long a loaf of bread last in the house now...guess it really was me all of these years......had to apologize to a few folks for that one!

It's a process....yes, peeling that one wire at a time!