Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else do their own fills?

I spoke to a nurse who does her own fills & since I'm a nurse she suggested I do the same (she would walk me through the whole thing). As an Infusion Nurse I'm VERY comfortable with needles & ports. But its my body & especially for the first time...I'm going to a certified place to get the fill with the flouro. After that I'll see how I feel about it... I'm getting banded in two days in Mexico (Dr Rumbout), Self pay... which is why my fills are not going to be covered. Anybody here do their own fills?

i would not risk it because if u get infection and mess up your band you are out so much money

Your right, even though proper technique would make my risk of infection the same as going to a fill doc. The thought of losing all that money is very upsetting. I'm pretty sure I'll decide against it in the end.

I can't imagine doing fills without floro. It makes it so much easier. Can't you go back to your surgeon. I go to Dr. Ortiz and he only charges $100 for each fill. They say it's free fills and $100 for floro. Either way, $100 a shot. Also, may docs in US charge $300+ per fill. Dr. Ortiz tells me many US docs will do many small fills and charge a fortune. My doc says maybe 4 fills to get it right. They gave me a good sized one the first time so that I don't need to get 5-10. Good luck!

what a great idea!My neice is a nurse and that is the perfect idea for me. I'm ready for the surgery and I'm freaking out cause I can't find a fill doctor anywhere in toronto.The aspect of messing it up is viable,but I'm going to mexico and if I do find a doctor in toronto to do a fill , won't that be a non issue anyways? Won't they be non responsilbe for messing up your band? Just curious.

I can't imagine doing fills without floro. It makes it so much easier. Can't you go back to your surgeon. I go to Dr. Ortiz and he only charges $100 for each fill. They say it's free fills and $100 for floro. Either way, $100 a shot. Also, may docs in US charge $300+ per fill. Dr. Ortiz tells me many US docs will do many small fills and charge a fortune. My doc says maybe 4 fills to get it right. They gave me a good sized one the first time so that I don't need to get 5-10. Good luck!

A flight from New Jersey to Monterrey, Mexico for each fill? the plane ticket would cost more than the fill not to mention the hotel. I'm going to go to a bariatric center 20 minutes from my home. $300 a fill w/flouro.

what a great idea!My neice is a nurse and that is the perfect idea for me. I'm ready for the surgery and I'm freaking out cause I can't find a fill doctor anywhere in toronto.The aspect of messing it up is viable,but I'm going to Mexico and if I do find a doctor in toronto to do a fill , won't that be a non issue anyways? Won't they be non responsilbe for messing up your band? Just curious.

My surgeon knows that I'm considering possibly doing some fills in the future. Therefore the port is going to be placed in an area that will be easier for me to access it if I should ever decide to do that, The port will be placed substernally (bellow the middle of the ribcage/ just below the sternum) you need to be open with your surgeoun about your situation. Your niece also needs to be comfortable with the technique and you need access to the supplies you need (needles, saline, disinfectants). I couldn't count the amount of port devices I've accessed w/needles & I still plan to pay good money & have someone else do it for me the first time before I decide to continue myself. You also have to be VERY careful with overfilling, your band can erode your stomach. VERY BAD. Look in to a fill center, not necessarily run by a doc. Also, call bariatric centers and ask for direction in finding a place for band fills. Don't take the decision lightly. Just go to the " Lap band Complications" Thread & read about all that can go wrong.

Nope. I reckon if you could do it yourself, a lot of bandsters would end up unfilling for special occasions and vacations, filling back up and erring on the side of TIGHT to lose the weight we gained whilst unfilled, then having to unfill due to PBing, sliming and reflux and generally be mucking our bands up all over the place. They wouldnt proceed towards the sweet spot with caution but would overfill themselves, etc. There'd be no reason to visit your doc, so your aftercare and supervision would dwindle, overall you'd be at huge risk of comlications and probably not lose weight steadily and well..

When you decide to have a band you are committing to a lifetime relationship with the medical profession to supervise and oversee it. For a reason!

You may be the one in a million that could handle it, but wait till you're banded and plateaued out for a month (and even though you're already tight, surely just a little MORE would get that scale moving again) or you're going on holidays (and just this once wouldnt it be nice to eat without worry). It would take superhuman willpower not to muck around with it, the band as a device loses its power markedly if the decision to adjust it rests solely on the owner.

you're soo right...lol, u sure know how to put things in to proper perspective. Would u like to raise my stubborn daughter?

I have a friend who's family doc will do her fills. Her surgeon contacted him and told him how to do it...that is another idea you might want to look into

MC Cindy, I have an appoint. next week with my family doctor, and that is the reason for the appoint, to ask him if he would feel comfortable with doing fills. I also notice you had yours done in t.o. and was wondering where your friend is from. Maybe I could talk to her doc. Just wondering?

Thanks

Jack, I wanted to let you know that your lucky you have a doctor to go to .I will be selfpay, and I am finding great difficulty in finding a fill doctor in toronto or ontario. I'm ready to go and am willing to hear any sugguestions that any one has.

thanks, and thanks to you olgi330,as it might be my only option.

Jachut is right on the money, my SIL and niece do my SIL's fills and unfills, on almost a daily basis....it is something I would NEVER consider, and my niece is not getting anywhere near my band. She too is banded, nothing has been said, but I can bet she will be accessing her own if she isn't already.

Not me!

Kat

Jachut is right on the money, my SIL and niece do my SIL's fills and unfills, on almost a daily basis....it is something I would NEVER consider, and my niece is not getting anywhere near my band. She too is banded, nothing has been said, but I can bet she will be accessing her own if she isn't already.

Not me!

Kat

Good idea to keep them away from your band. What is your SIL's rationale for filling/unfilling so frequently? Sounds nutty to me...are they even losing any weight?:)

Well.....sounds nutty, about covers it!!! LOL!

Actually my SIL was a slow loser, and she pushed until she got too tight---then she PB'd everything she took in, even caused herself some kidney damage from dehydration. But she has gone from a size 24 to a size 8 and loves it. She convinced 2 of her DD's to get banded----and they seem to be losing normally. She has her DD unfill her to get a bit of food in, then they tighten her down again---and she "throws up" everything then again. She has never accepted my invites to the site here for help and guidance, she quit going to the Dr. together, she does not want me talking to him about her!

I put up with comments from them about me not being at goal yet----but I eat!!! Pretty normally!

I have no idea if she sees them doing this forever, or if she really knows she is just living on borrowed time with the band. I told her I think her band has slipped, and she agrees. But does nothing about it except have her DD add or remove according to how she feels----she is totally pissed that I have 1.75cc's approx. in my band, and she is too tights with only .50cc's. Like I can control that!!!

I have had 2 fills both by the Dr. If I need another in the future he will do it too!!!

My niece at one time was a phlebotomist---for UBS---NOT trained in any manner for what she is doing. I cannot help but worry how she will feel if something really horrible happen and she should lose her Mom to an infection caused by what they are doing.

But I am not welcome to discuss it with any of them!!! I am the outsider in more ways than 1....

Kat