Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgery Day Story

Hi All~~

I found it particularly interesting pre-band to read others hospital day experiences so I thought I would post mine to hopefully help someone else, so here goes. Sorry for the length, but I'm a details person:w00t:

Called the nite before to find out what time to report----7:15am (whew, bright and early)

The hospital is about an hour from my house so we drove down the nite before so that we wouldn't have to rush in the morning. Didn't sleep much that nite kinda tossed and turned wondering if I should change my mind, but luckily my DBF was there to encourage me and assure me that it would all go as planned.

Arrived at the hospital on time at 715 and signed in and then sat and waited, and waited and waited. Then at 8 someone started yelling my name, when I stood up it turns out that someone had crossed off my name mistakenly and the OR and office were calling to see if I had showed up. Well now I'm on the fast track, not a chance to change my mind, got changed, more blood drawn, bp and temp, BP was sky high (maybe it's cause u rushed me:cursing:) Finally got it to come down, anesthesiologist introduced himself and quickly asked some questions, and next thing ya know the chick with the gurney is there to wheel me up to the holding area. Met my nurse anesthitist who gave me some happy medicine. Then had to wait for about 30 mins for my doc to get there---least favorite part so far)

Wheeled into surgery, moved over to the table and before ya know it they put a mask over my face and I was gone. What felt like seconds later they were waking me up in recovery room. Kept yellin at me to take a deep breath and were kinda freaked that my BP was now low----hellooooo of course its low I"M TRYING TO SLEEP HERE:tt2:. Oh yea---no pain so far!!

Recovery nurse wheeled me back down to short procedure and there my nurse was SUPER attentive-loved her. This I believe was around 11 and they came to take me to xray for an UGI at 1230. Asked if I could go in a wheelchair, stupid me I said yes---bad move, sitting up made me dizzy and nauseous but I stuck it out and stayed in the chair. Gastrografin UGI took about two minutes ---just to let ya know gastrografin straight is NASTY stuff!!! After it was over I asked for a washcloth to wipe out my mouth.

Back to SPU and they brought me Jello, broth, tea, and mystery juice. Wasn't hungry didn't want it but they insisted I eat cause my BP was still crazy low---still trying to sleep here people!! Starting to feel the pain a little so I asked for pain meds cause I knew I was going to have to drive for over an hour to get home so they bring me this huge ass percocet--not sure why everyone is saying to get liquid tylenol if they give u a horse pill in the hospital but guess the nurse knows what she's talking about----boy oh boy could i feel that percocet sitting in my pouch---ouch, maybe that's why the liquid tylenol. This is where things start to go down hill, the percocet made me nauseous and dizzy and just basically excuse my french--super shitty!!! Sucked it up and said goodbye to the hospital at 4:00 and drove home 1 hour 30 minutes, not something I would recommend in the future, if you can stay close stay close, the whole drive I was really nauseous and had to keep my eyes closed.

Felt good to get home though in my own bed and own environment and other then feeling like I had been punched in the stomach, I feel pretty good, was able to sleep on both sides, I know some people can't but I did. Had the percocet RX filled but haven't used anything other then Tylenol no icky side effects but honestly I am sore--to be expected there were big men playing around on my insides today.

All in all surgery wasn't bad at all, hospital part was basically uneventful, and now I'm on my way to recovery. Hope this helps someone and makes u feel a little more at ease:thumbup:

wow, sounds pretty 'normal'. good luck and speedy recovery.

welcome to the banded side of life, it sure is great here.

Sounds like your doing good. I'm concerned about the nausea. I've been assured that they can prevent it. Did they give you any medicine for the nausea?

Glad you are on the mend. Good luck with the post op diet. I'm sure you'll do great!

Minock,

No actually I was very worried about vomiting to so when the nausea started I pressed the call button. All they did was put an alcohol pad under my nose (which I guess is old school) but hey it worked. I even took some pads with me for on the way home and it worked in the car. They can give you phenergan for nausea but for whatever reason they went with the alcohol pad instead.:tongue2:

That sounds about how mine went. I had TERRIBLE reactions to the pain meds they gave me! I couldn't even pick my head up without getting dizzy and they were trying to make me walk around. I just wanted to sleep for 40 days!!!

Oh geeze... I am so sensitive to drugs. Seems like the only way to stop nausea is with more drugs. I am also very sensitive to the anesthesia. I've never had a surgery where I could wake up easily. They try to get me out the door while I'm still half asleep and throwing up! I'm hoping for a different outcome but are preparing for the possibility of a negative outcome. Oh well, small price to pay for a lifetime of possibilities!

be sure to tell everyone that you ahve trouble with Post Op Nausea and Vomitting PONV there are so many non sedating and wonderfullt effective things they can give you do not want to vomitt after this surgery

amanda