Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

please help

Guest nicenurse

Guest nicenurse

hi this is my first time here so please help if i make mistakes.

My daughter and i are both having the lap band.

Now my doctor said i should consider the gastric by pass, due to health problems.He said i need to lose 100 pounds and he doesn't think i will lose fast enough with the lap band.

pleasehelp , how much weight are you losing.

Hi Sylvia,

I am not a doctor, and that is a tough question to answer. The lapband is designed for people to lose a healthy 1-2 pounds per week. Some people lose more and some lose less. I am presently a slow loser. Perhaps you need to speak with both a gastric bypass surgeon and a lapband surgeon to get their opinions. I hope you find the answers you need.

My daughter lost 100 lb with the band in 10 months. I am losing about 10 lb per month so far, 4 months into the process.

There are success stories on both processes, and horror stories too. I would definitely get a second, and possibly third opinion, and also consider if the doctor has any other reason for suggesting one procedure over the other: has he done a lot of GP and is he more comfortable with that surgery? How knowledgeable is he about both procedures. How well does he know you and your personality--that has a lot to do with success, I think, though it isn't the sole reason for success or failure by any means. Your personal feelings count too: does gp really go against your comfort zone? It does for me, so I am biased towards banding.

Everyone loses weight at a different pace, so it really depends on you. We have had a lot of people on here lose a lot more than 100 pounds, and the surgery is a lot safer than the gastric surgery.

If I was you, I would take a little time and read as much as possible about both surgeries, and make up your own mind. There are pros and cons on both surgeries, just do your homework and make the call yourself!

Good luck!

Now my doctor said i should consider the gastric by pass, due to health problems.He said i need to lose 100 pounds and he doesn't think i will lose fast enough with the lap band.

I agree with those who say that we all lose at different rates, and I don't know that speed is of the essence, as already stated, because we didn't gain the weight overnight, why worry about losing it overnight. In my case, I was banded 3/25/08. My doctor put me on a full liquid (includes Protein shakes, yogurt, sugar/fat free jello/pudding/popsicles, cream Soups, broths) diet with a small amount of lean Protein to ease the transition, then four days before surgery liquids only. Post op 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks mushies, then slowly transition to regular food, depending on tolerance. I ended up spending 3 weeks pre op because I caught a cold and they postponed my surgery a week. I had mentally prepared myself that I would be hungry somewhat during the day, and I saved my lean protein for the evening when I tended to eat the most. I had unbreaded chicken tenders that I grilled on a small George Foreman grill and hard cooked eggs as my lean protein treat. I would have 2 tenders or 2 eggs. I had increased my exercise from just Curves to walking in a nearby park (for distance, not so much for speed--I carry peanuts and stop to feed the squirrels). By the time I started the liquids the weight was already starting to drop some, but it picked up steam with the diet. The dietician said it was to jump start the weight loss and prepare me for the post op diet. By the time I had surgery I had lost around 40 pounds and it is still coming off. I entered Onederland this morning (weight below 200). I weighed in at 199.2. I am delighted and it really helped my motivation to see the weight drop. I started at 252 last June (had to do a 6 month diet for insurance--lost all of 10 pounds on that) and my goal is 150, so I am well on my way. If you are comitted to the process, and doing what the dietician tells you, I think you can lose 100 pounds with the band. You will get out of it what you put into it.

I now have had both the band andthe bypass....I lost the weight with the band--141# in 16 months. The bypass is much less of a hassle. no stuck, no adjustment but boy was I scared that I would die from the complications...I am fine...but I have kost very little weight with the bypass..11# in4 months...but I also am close to goal and have lost more that 60 percent of my weight...the choice is yours....educate yourself and make a decision...work with the tool and the tool will work with you

My name is lynell I had my lap band in june of 2007 as of today I have lost 88 lbs. I have no more sleep apena or high blood pressure. I generally lose 2 lbs a week. I hope this helps.

Hi I was banded June of 2007 and have lost 88lbs so far. My weight has has slowed down some months but returns to 6 or 8lbs a month. I hope this helps you with your decision.

The band is reversible, gastric by pass is not. How committed to following a small food intake are you? I chose the band based on my fear of not succeeding. Knowing the band was reversible has helped me towards my goal. The band is a tool that you can choose to use or discard, the gastric bypass is permanent. As for food getting stuck, I attend a support group for gastric bypass patients and band patients. Gastric bypass patients have improperly chewed food causing problems just like the band patients. They also, have more serious side affects such a loss of hair, (not permanent), severe nutritional deficiencies if they do not follow the guidelines. The band allows a little bit more leniency. Its a personal thing and I would get second opinions before makng a choice.

My dr. advised me against the bypass being over 60. He felt the malabsorption part is tough enough, and even tougher as you get older. I felt safer going with the band. I truly didn't want my insides rearranged, nor be committed to taking all the vits you have to take. I think age should play a huge part in the deciding factor. For me the band was much safer and I am at goal having lost well over 100 lbs. I'll be 2 years out shortly.

Hi NiceNurse... My cardiologist first suggested the gastric bypass for me, then changed his mind.. and recommended the Lap-band instead.

His reason is that it is less invasive, and will do the trick just as well.

Sometimes losing a little slower is better. You can always get a second opinion.. I'm sure glad I got my band.

I too am a nurse, new to the forum, and will be banded in six days. I have done some research and feel that you can lose big if you use the banding as a tool.

PS- how do you get the cute graphics on your profile?

I was banded on sept 8, 2008 and have lost 36lbs. my daughter was banded 5 weeks before me and has lost over 50lbs. we are feeling great!!!! My goal is 150#, it all depends on your md. I did not go gastric it has many drawbacks for me. Too invasive, i have read and seen many complications. and no reversal possible without more pain. If the band didnt work you have a simple removal. Please these coments are based on my life. You have to believe in what you are about to do other wise you will never feel good about your final desicion. Pray and ask the lord for guideness and help.

ben age 59 Puerto Rico

benitogarcia523