Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiencing Hair Loss

hair started to fall out at 5 months, started on Biotin it has helped a little - Anyone else? and what do you do about it?

My hair looks terrible--same thing, started falling out and breaking at around 6 months. I've been taking Biotin, KidGreez veggie Vitamins, MVI, etc. My hair looks terrible --getting better, but still terrible! :tt1: Hopefully it'll be full and beautiful again...some day....:confused:

Amy

I was doing lots of Protein, Biotin, and every other thing I heard to try. It didn't do anything. I finally gave up about 3 months ago, and about 1 month ago I realized it's growing in thicker again. So my best advice is to just tough it out for a little while, add volumizing mousse, blow your hair dry upside down, etc.

I noticed my hair loss around the 2 month mark. My hair is already kinda thin ish to begin with. My hair is one of my prize posessions you know. When you're a fat girl, you gotta work with what you got. I had awesome hair, blue eyes and big boobs. I'm freaking out about hair loss! Biotin was suggested. I've been trying to keep up on protien... good to know though that its just a phase and not forever. I'm tierd of cutting hair out of my vaccum each week, pulling it out of the drains and such. Sometimes at work, a hair will just fall to the desktop. I hope it stops soon. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and meeting my nutirtional goals.

At my last fill appointment this past Wednesday, I told my surgeon and he ordered some labs. Looks like a full Protein panel. Not sure what they can find out from that?

They could see if you're deficient in anything that could cause Hair loss. But since it's common enough with surgeries (any), I again just say, tough it out :glare:

And I am proof it comes back! I didn't cut my hair either, which I heard could help. I am working on growing my hair out long. I wanna be a skinny hippy.

I'm going to paste an old post of mine, just because I'm lazy and don't want to re-type:

Biotin does not prevent hairloss. If it did, we wouldn't have any bald people, and expensive products like Rogaine, and hair Clubs for Men, and wigs, and surgical treatments for hairloss, and...

Have you been tested to show a Biotin deficiency? If you have a biotin deficiency, you will lose hair. Period. Not just the hair on your head. Eyelashes, eyebrows, arm hair, etc. Taking biotin only increases the amount of biotin in your system, and that will only have a significant impact on hairloss (ALL hair) if you are counteracting a deficiency. As of about 4 months ago, there was never a single study ever that showed an improvement of hairloss by taking Biotin in people that did not have Biotin deficiences.

[...]

If you have a, or a few deficiences, you need to know exactly what they are and not just start popping supplements... that can be very bad for you. (People think they're harmless, so not true.)

If you search here and read through the hairloss threads (tons of them), the one thing you will find repeated by seasoned bandsters is that it's a waiting game. The hairloss starts, persists sometimes for 4-6+ months (about a year was the worst I remember), and then almost overnight it stops. There is no one product that consistently shows results.

By the way, IF you have a Biotin deficiency, which you probably don't, and IF taking Biotin helps with your all-over-the-body hairloss, it really is going to help all over the body. In other words, not only will your eyebrows, eyelashes, and arm hair grow, but so will ALL hair.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

There's really nothing you can do for it, so save your money. Body trauma, including surgery, and anesthesia are known catalysts for Hair loss. Like everything hair, it's a cycle, and it too will change.

I have been losing hair for 3-4 months now. I notice it now. You can really see it in my part- in my bang area. I have been getting all my Protein, etc in. I had a complete lab work up and all was great. My doc told me to take 10-20 mg of Zinc. I am gonna try it. I hope it works. I am getting scared. My hair has always been thick and healthy. Now, it looks thin, dry and crappy! I hope this passes soon. It is embarrassing!

Hi, My hair started falling out at 6 months post-op too. My dr said it is from not getting in all the Protein that you need. I bought nail and hair formula and it seems to make my hair healthier but it is still falling out. If anybody has any other suggestions let me know.

hi everyone. i was reading everyones posts..and omg i have the same problem i have lost A LOT of hair. my hair used to be so nice and thick and now i try not to wash it as much because when i was my hair thats when i loose my hair the most. everytime when i wash my hair..i roll it into a ball and its almost the size of a handball or a baseball. it is crazy! i used to be able to put up my hair in a pony tail with goody bands and wrap the band around my hair 2 or 3 times and now i have to wrap the band 4 times to keep my pony tail. i didn't think i would be loosing so much hair. i mean i knew that i would loose hair but not like this. my sis in law got gastric bypass and she is getting bald spots...i hope i dont get them. i just started taking biotin..i wonder if it works. hopefully it does but i doubt it.

I agree with everyone who says it's cyclic and natural and there's nothing that can be done about it. I lost a lot more hair each time I had a baby. My doctor said at the time (and it turned out to be true) that by the time we've lost enough for it to be noticeable, it's already turning around. I know it doesn't seem that way, but it's true.

I'm devistated reading this thread.I'm 5ft8in tall and my hair is just shy of 5ft (I just measuresd it, I know it's crazy!! I'll post a picture as soon as I can figure it out lol! )It's true,I only have long hair and big boobs going for me now that I'm fat. Finding out how people are losing their hair is very scary to me!I was told as long as you take Vitamins, everything will be okay. Are all of you taking the vitamins you are suppossed to?

I'm taking a prenatal Vitamin once a day plus a B complex w/Thiamine. I'm getting my 60 grams of protien in a day. I'm working on getting it up to 80, but that's challenging without drinking shakes and stuff... trying to eat all the protien.

When I asked my surgeon about the hair loss (rather gave him an update) he gave me a lap slip to have my "Albumin total protein" checked. I haven't gotton the results back yet and i'm not sure what they can find out from that... I'll repost later after my fill apt on the 12th to let you know...

i am now 8 months since surgery. the Hair loss is beginning to stop.

about 2 months ago i was really worried. the shower would look like sasquatch just took a shower. but it is much better now.

i tried the biotin--i dont know if it worked or not.

i did try to keep my Protein up--dont know if that worked either.

personally, i think it is just something that will pass with time once your body adjusts.

but i will keep taking Biotin and eating my protein, just in case.

Biotin is a good start, but you might find if you increase folic acid to over 1mg the Hair loss will stop. I pass experience I have seen people use as much as 30mg of folic acid when on certain medications to stop hair loss...be mindful there should be a balance in B Vitamins.< /p>