Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could you do this with optimal restriction?

If you were at your optimal restriction level, would you be able to take a drink after every couple of bites and eat as much as you did pre-band? I know, I know, we aren't supposed to drink with meals. I'm having a very hard time emotionally right now and I am eating around my band. I am wondering if it is completely due to the drinking (and eating junk that goes down easily) or if I'm still not at my sweet spot or a combination of the three. I have never pb'd or vomited once since I was banded in September but the past few weeks, I have been drinking a lot with my meals so that I can eat more. Any advice, suggestions?

IMO, at optimal restriction you can't really drink with meals.

Maybe a tiny sip now and then, but not enough to wash down every bite. In fact, whether or not I'm able to drink with my meals is one of my guidelines for determining whether or not I need a fill.

What is your drive to eat more? Are you still feeling hungry? Are you not feeling full, and missing the sensation? Do you just have a hard time saying no to good food? Are you a social eater, wanting to eat as long as you have someone to talk to? Etc.

It's simple, but perhaps try eating on small plates. There are very small paper plates, saucer sized, that are perfect bandster size. This gives the illusion of a full plate of food, without the portion size to go along with it. It's also a good starting gauge - and can help satisfy the urge to clean a plate without also meaning you've eaten too much.

If I tried to drink after every bite I would gak. Have a tiny bit of self control and put the drinks away. Go in and see if you need a fill and get back on the wagon. You can do this!

I am right where you are. I made an appt. for a fill since I could eat anything and a lot of it. I bought a book called Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients and decided it was crap. I have more than enough personal responsibility. LOL!! I went over the eating guidelines again even though I know what I'm doing and don't need to go over them again. I stopped drinking while eating even though I figured it didn't really make a difference. Soooo I started taking personal responsibility for what I ate, ate within the guidelines and didn't eat and drink at the same time. Guess what?

All of the sudden I have a lot of restriction. Not as much as I want but a heck of a lot. I'm not hungry for long periods. A lot less fills me up. Amazing! Now that I'm staying away from the soft stuff like Soups, yogerts, mashed potatoes, highly refined crap, my band is working for me!! I get it!! I'm not stupid but goodness, it took me a long time to get it! I guess I should be happy I finally did. I also changed my schedule so I can get regular exercise again. Whoo hoo! I'm off and running!

I am right where you are. I made an appt. for a fill since I could eat anything and a lot of it. I bought a book called Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients and decided it was crap. I have more than enough personal responsibility. LOL!! I went over the eating guidelines again even though I know what I'm doing and don't need to go over them again. I stopped drinking while eating even though I figured it didn't really make a difference. Soooo I started taking personal responsibility for what I ate, ate within the guidelines and didn't eat and drink at the same time. Guess what?

All of the sudden I have a lot of restriction. Not as much as I want but a heck of a lot. I'm not hungry for long periods. A lot less fills me up. Amazing! Now that I'm staying away from the soft stuff like Soups, yogerts, mashed potatoes, highly refined crap, my band is working for me!! I get it!! I'm not stupid but goodness, it took me a long time to get it! I guess I should be happy I finally did. I also changed my schedule so I can get regular exercise again. Whoo hoo! I'm off and running!

Congrats MizPeppy! You have figured it out!!!!!!!! You are on your way to being successful!!!

See you on the banded side!

Drinking honestly does NOT wash food through my band and make me able to eat more. I used to drink with meals, since my last fill 9 months ago, I really cant any more. I have to wait about half an hour or I'll burst. It just sits on top and would case a PB. It doesnt wash it through and mean I can eat more, that's for sure.

I can take sips though, like from a glass of wine. But I still fill up quickly.

Yay Jacqui!! I've long debated the theory that drinking flushes food through the band. You're the only other person I've seen who objects to that idea. It certainly doesn't for me. If I eat something, then drink anything other than the teeniest, tiniest sip, it just sits there, almost instantly hurts like a bitch, and has to be yakked up unless I'm lucky and it eventually makes its way through.

So definitely a good point to OP - I shoulda caught that angle.

It used to hurt like a bitch....after my 4th fill. Now, it doesn't any more. Does that mean I've stretched my pouch or messed something up? Because seriously, there are a lot of times when I can eat almost as much as I did before surgery and I've had 5 fills w/ 7.7 ccs in a small ap band.

I dont know if it washes it through or not. My experience has been that if I am eating solid Protein like you are supposed to, and you are restricted it hurts like *#(@*# to drink. I have on occasion been eating something else and drank (like popcorn, chips, or something bad) and I did not experience the same pain.

It used to hurt like a bitch....after my 4th fill. Now, it doesn't any more. Does that mean I've stretched my pouch or messed something up? Because seriously, there are a lot of times when I can eat almost as much as I did before surgery and I've had 5 fills w/ 7.7 ccs in a small ap band.
Not necessarily. As we lose weight and our internal fat (the fat around our organs) begins to disappear, it's entirely possible for the band to become looser. It's also possible for the tightness of a fill to diminish within the first few weeks after the fill. Not sure why on this one, my total guess would be that the fill induces some swelling that subsides and makes it seem as though the fill was only temporarily effective.

Was your change in restriction gradual, or overnight? I'm not sure what the capacity of your band is -- is it a 10cc band?

Yes, it is a 10 cc band. I'm pretty sure I've determined the problem is what I'm eating....and not eating. I'm eating junk and like Karen said, that washes through fine. When I'm eating Protein like I'm supposed to and try to drink, it does hurt. I'm going to start trying to do better. Thanks for all your responses. I'm just having some emotional issues right now and a grilled chicken breast is not as comforting as mac and cheese, mexican food, etc. I'm working with a therapist who deals with eating disorders and working on myself. Thanks again.

Maybe try some easier Proteins. I know lots of junk gives me more problems than healthier food - e.g. my last two PBs were each on a potato chip. One Protein that never gives me a bit of problems are cooked turkey pepperoni. Have you ever tried that? Lay them on a paper plate and a about 5 paper towels, and microwave them until they're bubbling & shrinking - about 3 minutes. As soon as they come out, blot them with more paper towels. This will cook them crunchy while removing most of the fat/grease. They're small, chew easily, and have lots of flavor. On days when I can't do regular meats, these have always worked. If you need to lube them up a bit, you can try scooping some cottage cheese on them -- and they're REALLY good with some "garden vegetable" cream cheese. :)

I should add - yes, I did just address the protein/eating issue. The mental side is a completely different piece of cake. I'm dealing with it, too. I've hit this sort of complacency that I don't want, but can't quite shake off. I'm not at my goal weight, but I'm also no longer than huge freak I used to be. I've returned to the point where I'm starting to feel good about myself, which you'd think would make it easier to get the last of the weight off, but it's have an opposite effect. It's great that you're working with a therapist -- here's to all of us being able to get our heads on straight!