Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you dissappointed in your weight loss since banding?

Hi Everyone,

I am still in the process of being banded. Still have to go thru the nutrition program and then they will submit for approval to my ins co. My question is are those of you who are over 50 or 60 satisfied with your weight loss on the band. I have been reading the posts all over this forum and I worry that I will go through this surgery only to be dissappointed in my weight loss. Regular dieting and exercise only seems to maintain my weight rather than losing more weight. I am really excited about doing this but I worry that it will be in vain. I am healthy so far and have no co-morbidities and hope to turn things around before I develop a life threatening illness. I am just curious as to how much weight those of you in my age group have lost since banding. Thanks so much

Kathy

I'm dissapointed on my lack of restriction so far. But I do have another fill tue so hopefully that will change things.

sfeiner

Good to hear about you next fill. I go to the doctor tomorrow and he said at my last visit I would get my first fill then. I hope so, it would be nice to have some restriction if possible. I so want to start loosing I've not gone down any since I saw the nut. two weeks ago. But as it was pointed out by my daughter today (YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND GET TO THE GYM!!!) so it's off to the gym in the AM.

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Genea

Hi Gene and everybody, Well for the 2nd time, I had to cancel a fill appt' because of this crummy Wi winter. Now I am scheduled for a week from today. Meanwhile I am loosing a little by doing WW with my daughter. I'm hungry all the time so don't know how long I can keep this up. I should get off my butt too. Yesterday we did a lot of shopping and my feet hurt so bad today that it's hard to walk. I wish we had a pool in town. Gene, I hope you get some good restriction. It doesn't seem like most people do with just one fill but some never need a fill at all so we are all different. "see" you later.

Hi Everyone,

I am still in the process of being banded. Still have to go thru the nutrition program and then they will submit for approval to my ins co. My question is are those of you who are over 50 or 60 satisfied with your weight loss on the band. I have been reading the posts all over this forum and I worry that I will go through this surgery only to be dissappointed in my weight loss. Regular dieting and exercise only seems to maintain my weight rather than losing more weight. I am really excited about doing this but I worry that it will be in vain. I am healthy so far and have no co-morbidities and hope to turn things around before I develop a life threatening illness. I am just curious as to how much weight those of you in my age group have lost since banding. Thanks so much

Kathy

Wishin4, I am now 9 days post-surgery. While on the pre-op diet, I lost 8lbs. but it took every ounce of will I could muster to do it and I'm sure I could not have done it much longer before caving and eating badly. But... since surgery, I've lost another 4lbs. and it was very easy to do. I have followed all the rules: no drinking fluids 1/2 hour before meals, no liquid during meals, and no liquid 1/2hour after meals. At each meal, I eat only 3oz. of pureed meat/broth, 4oz. vegetable pureed and I remain pleasantly full for 3-4 hours. I also have 2-3 small Snacks like 1/4c cottage cheese, or 1/4c All Bran pureed with 1/4c. soy milk (really is good). Although I am not intentionally trying to hold my calories so low, I find I only need to eat fewer than 700/day. Probably with time I'll work my way up to 1000/day. My doctor said that exercise, and eating Protein first, followed by vegetables is a good plan. In summary, I am really really excited with the band so far. I am experiencing only minimal hunger (before meals) and am very satisfied with minimal food. Certainly not how I felt before my lap band. Oh yes, I'm 66.

I was banded November 20th and since surgery I've lost only 14lbs. I work out vigorously everyday and I don't eat carbs!!!! The weight should be coming off quicker than this. My second fill is in a few days so hopefully by then i'll be closer to my "sweet spot"

Thanks for your responses everyone. I am on the road and trying to get home by going around the snow. My trip down to Arizona has not only delayed my getting the band but I know I have gained even more weight so I'll have to lose that much more before my surgery. The doctor said 5 to 10 pounds and I thought that would be a snap. Now I dread getting on my scale when I get home and then having to start really dieting big time. Kathy

We are leaving for Vegas (From Reno area) on Wednesday. Should be good traveling anytime this week. I don't know where you are coming from, but I had to postpone my surgery in Vegas one week because we couldn't get out with the RV until next week. My surgery is now scheduled for Feb 12

Hi Sharon,

I live in Oregon and I am home as of last night. It was a long trip home due to road closures and having to take the coast to get home in the rain. It makes me nervous to ride in the rain in the motorhome. Anyway, I haven't been scheduled yet but I have my nutrition class left to complete and then I will be submitted for insurance approval. I start this week on that. I gained an additional 8 pounds so now I have to lose that and then from 5 to 10 pounds. GRRRR! Why did I do that to myself!! The road from Reno to Vegas is pretty snowed in, be careful.

I'm 54 and got banded on 8/29/07 and to date have lost 59 lbs. I have the AP small band and have 8.6 cc's in it and it's at the perfect tightness. Love my band!!!

Wishing:

thanks for the report....We are planning on leaving Wednesday, unless the storm comes in "Tuesday night..... Then we leave Thursday...looks like blue skys after that and for the weekend. We may try to make it past Tonopah the first night rather than stayng at the Millers rest stop 10 miles horth of Tonopah. What we find along the way will govern what we actully do.

Fortunately we do have until Sunday to get down there. Pre Op on MOnday and Surgery on tuesday.

Sharon, Good Luck on your trip to Vegas and on your surgery. Keep us posted on your progress. I can't wait to be that close to mine.

Kathy

Thanks for the well wishes. We are getting ready to pack the RV tomorrow, and looks like we will leave on Thursday. Think of me on Tuesday. I'm sure I'll be a basket case by then.

Your's will come around when it is time.

Sharon

Now I don't know which one of our threads to post on. I did get my third fill today. I have 2.75cc now in my 4cc band. I don't know if I have restriction yet or not. I came home and chugged down a slim fast. I was starved. At least I beat the snow storm that's susposed to be coming tonight.

I'm 54 and got banded on 8/29/07 and to date have lost 59 lbs. I have the AP small band and have 8.6 cc's in it and it's at the perfect tightness. Love my band!!!

That's amazing you're over 8 cc's and were banded in August! I was banded July 17 2007 and progressed to a 3cc fill which I had to get unfilled the next day, went to 2.5, then to 2.75 when I pb'd for over 2 weeks every other day. I lost weight but had to get unfilled in order to rest my esophagus. Now I'm at 2.25 ccs and feeling kind of hungry. Overall I've only lost 17 pounds since my surgery. I'm very disappointed. When I'm not restricted, I still binge. You're doing great - continued good luck!