Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does this sound strange to you??

I wasn't required to lose or do a diet before surgery, either. (I have a pretty low bmi and she doesn't require it for us and from what I have been reading that isn't that uncommon anymore). What does concern me is that you don't need to have any lab work done. I had tons of bloodwork and different tests - including an EKG and chest x-ray. It would scare me to go into surgery not knowing if there were medical problems that should be addressed. It was a pain to have it all done, but it felt good knowing I had a clean bill of health when I was going under anesthesia.

Hello everyone! I want to thank everyone for their replies. I may not have been very clear in my 2nd post to this thread. I have had a chest xray, lipid profile, glucose, metabolic workup, renal and hepatic profile for labs, as well as a complex respiratory assesment because of my asthma. I had these done as a result of a hospitalization for asthma about 6 months ago. My PCP had included all of these reports in my referral to my surgeon. I'm sure I will endure many more with pre op as many of you have said previously. I was just surpized he didn't require an upper GI series, or more complex tests that I have heard of here.

Background for those who inquired: 5'2" 250 lbs. BMI 47.5. Reasoable goal is 150, ultimate goal 135. My Dr gave me a sny remark about a year ago when I first approached him- he said "Well, you know you are never going to be supermodel thin, you just don't have it in you!" I never said I expected supermodel thin. Just a healthy weight- that was enough to discourage me for a year, and finally see another Dr in his group who couldn't be happier for me.

My support is my family. I won't tell any coworkers, as I work in a hospital, and I have seen what they say about people who turn to surgery for wt loss. I WILL PROVE THEM WRONG!!! Iv'e tried everything else- this is my last resort!!!

Thank you,everyone for your imput!

I have read the above posts, and it seems that different doctors approach the surgery differently. My PCP is concerned about elevated liver enzymes on my cholesterol blood test, and the bariatric doctor said that could be reflecting fatty liver disease (as opposed to a side effect of the cholesterol medicine) and he plans to take a sample for a liver biopsy during the lapband surgery. They do require a liquid diet 2 wks before and 2 wks after surgery. I have the papers from my PCP to get the chest xray and bloodwork for PAT once I have a surgery date. I have also had a nuclear stress test and an echocardiogram.

One thing I would check though is what your insurance requires. One of the posters said she had BC insurance, and her plan could be different, but I thought most BC plans require a 6 month documented weight loss attempt. I live in Maryland and have Blue Choice, the HMO under Carefirst Blue Cross/Blue Shield. All of the plans to my knowledge in this area require the 6 month (or 2 3-month) diet. I used the dietician on the bariatric team, who basically told me she didn't care if I didn't lose any weight, but I shouldn't gain any. I just finished that up and she sent me the documentation to take to my PCP who had to sign off on it, then I mailed it back to the surgeon's office. They called me last week and told me all my papers were in and they were submitting to insurance. So I am hoping to hear this week maybe. Please check your insurance on whether this is required. I heard even Medicare is requiring it. As for the liquid diet, the 2 weeks before is a new requirement from the bariatric doctor. My sister had gastric bypass almost 2 years ago and didn't have to do it. In my case the dietician and psychiatric nurse were not covered by my insurance but the surgeon's consultation was and the surgery is covered. It's a lot of hoops they make you jump through, but it is because they don't want you making this decision on a whim.

As for tickers, I can't get tickerfactory ones to work. I go through the steps and end up with just a placeholder (box with a red X) that is a link to their site. The one I have is a different site, not as big a selection, but it worked, and the process is basically the same. Design the ticker, then highlight the url's in the first window, click on copy then on Lapband talk click on Edit Signature, and when you have the signature box, put your cursor in there and click on paste. You will see the codes but if you scroll down and select Preview Signature you will see the end result. Hope this all helps.