Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancer Free and now Lapband

Corgi - you are on your way to a whole new life.....Good luck for the 18th and always! My thoughts and prayers are with you....

Greg - If your daughter is anything like you....She is already ahead of the game!!! Full of p--- and vinegar!!! She can do nothing short of beating this thing!!!

La_Madam - I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like going through what you've been through......I only know that God does not give you any more than you can handle......Hang in there.......you will come though this......

I can't offer any advice, etc. but wanted to tell you congratulations!!!!! It's so wonderful to hear of one of God's miracles and a person's determination!

Wow Renee

You have UC. I had it could'nt take the meds or prednisone and I never went into remission. Ulcerative colitis is ugly, I spent many nights crying on the toilet till I had my colon removed and my rectum reconstructed(I do not have a bag). Greg this proceedure does not work for Crohns.

I've heard of doctors recomending the band for colitus, again the best to you, God bless you.

I lost my sister to breast cancer 16 years ago and she still comes into my dreams.

Vera,

I have had UC for since 1988, I had a few flare ups and a really bad flare up about 4 years ago, thank God nothing since. I currently take azaulfidine two tabs-twice a day. I ask my surgeon will I still be able to take my meds and he said yes, I will just have to crush them. So my question to you is, was your GI OK with you getting the lapband even with your surgery? That was another reason I chose the lapband, I didn't want to do anything drastic like Gastric Bypass, at least the lapband is reversible.

Renee

There are so many kinds of cancers--some might impact the advisabiity of a band, others might not. I've had cancer...but it was almost 30 years ago and nothing from that would influence the band decision.

Michelle--my best friend has had to bury two of her children. That just is NOT the way it's supposed to be. I am sorry for your loss.

Hi Renee. I had breast cancer 2 years and 3 months ago. I had a total double mastectomy w/tram flap reconstruction. That means they took the skin from my lower tummy (effectively a tummy tuck), and microsopcially attached it to my chest, making me new breasts! Well, the Tummy Tuck got bigger instead of smaller, cause I proceeded to gain over 30 lbs in the next 2 yrs! Of course I had sworn that I would never gain anything after, etc. etc. So when I was looking into lap banding, I was worried that the previous work would prevent. Luckily, my surgeon said that as long as Dr. Ortiz stayed above my belly-button, which he did and I think always does, all would be fine. Thank G-d, all has been fine! I'm thrilled, and now am looking into having my 17-yr old daughter banded.

Sorry this was so long, I'm just so grateful that I'm cancer-free & losing weight. What a miracle.

Best to you,

Renee ~Congrats on getting your band and even more importantly beating that cancer!

By the way we are getting our bands the same day!!! Also one more I know of on the site getting banded on the 18th!! How cool is that!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery on your band!!!

Renee and Jamie,

The 18th is going to be a day to Celebrate for sure.

Corgi thanks be to God for your healing.

My prayers are with both of you for your upcomming surgery.

I think the last 24 days have went a lot faster for me then the 24 before banding. I was so excited. Now I have to pinch myself so I know it isn't a dream. It really did happen. God allowed me to have a tool to use to get healthy.

HOPE, that is what I felt when I was given a surgery date. HOPE.

I pray I never take this gift for granted.

I pray for each person on this board and their families.

Live, Laugh, Love

Renee, I wish you well, My husband also has lymphoma and is currently in remission, thanks to some great docs in Houston. I was banded in January 05 and he is getting ready to be banded this spring. We have not heard of any other cancer patients having a band but our oncologist has given his blessing. I will look forward to hearing how you do please keep us posted.

Kim

Renee

So my question to you is, was your GI OK with you getting the lapband even with your surgery?

I was banded 3 years after my colon was removed. I haven't seen my GI doctor in years. My band doctor was well informed of all my history.

You will be having some gas issues, thus most bandsters have more gas issues then pre-band, reguardless of UC.