Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

Yes, I am thrilled you all invited me to be your friend. Now I don't feel so "woss" with my big fat zero.

Lovely weather to work in the garden today, bright sunshine and slight cool breeze. Carlene, where do you hide when it is 101

Well take it easy on the exercising in that heat. I can't imagine that as we rarely get over 90 usually we are around 70 - 80 in the summer months. Is there a nice non alcoholic drink you make?

Water, occasionally green tea with honey. I don't exercise much anyway, due to arthritis and weakening of hips. Had my knees replaced, but they still protest sometimes.

I can water walk, but finding the time for that is almost impossible :)

carlene - ouch, you do have problems. Does you doctor have any suggestions. Perhaps a personal trainer? or a program worked out for you by the Arthritis Associaton in your area. I find working in the garden helps me bend, stretch, etc. I have arthritis in the knees hip and arm but not enough to affect my gardening (darn). I go to aqua fit classes in the winter but take the summer off to garden.

Dr would probaly suggest I see the surgeon, if I complained to him hard enough. Don't much want to do that. With the 8 month old I get a lot of "bend and stretch", and with all of them I get plenty of short trip fetching, making drinks, preparing meals, etc.

I just really need to make me get to Water walking or to ride the stationary bike. If I would make my DD go to an 8PM AA meeting, instead of 6PM, I could take her and go to my gym, just a few blocks from where the meeting is. I just don't do that. I plead fatigue.

Carlene: You are a gorgeous wonderful mom to take on your grandchildren for your DD and in all probablity giving the children an upbringing they so richly deserve. My bro in law is an alcoholic and a bi polar now in his 70's. Has been sober pretty much of of the time with a few slips. AA helped him and today he is in his 30th year. My sister went to Alanon for support.

Somehow you wonderful woman must make time for yourself. All the baby chasing etc is tiring, but nothing like a little time off for yourself will revitalize you. You need that aqa walking. Is there anyone you know that could take the children for a 1/2 hour. In our community centre, they have day care for single moms while they take the exercise program. Any around your area? Just a few thoughts.

In our local paper today was an article written by a Professor in our University on "the last 10 pounds". He writes

1. Stabilize blood-sugar levels.

2. Spoil your appetite before you get to the high-fat, high calorie part of the meal

3. Eat a solid Breakfast with adequate Protein and a reasonable number of calories

4. Get out the weights to build muscle mass

5. Increase the intensit of your exercise

6. Eat fish oil. Fish oil has been sow to boost metabolism and improve fat burning and increase carbohydrate storage in muscles

7. Eat protein with each meal

8. Keep your eyes on the prize

9. Have a support group

10. Be realistic.

These suggestions could also apply to a plateau I would think. Just thought I would post them incase anyone was looking for areas they could get that final push.

NM Sunshine: My bro-in-law is bipolar and I know what you mean. You may want the doctor to look at your meds. He did and is much better now. Just a hint to slow you down in eating. Take a small bite on your fork put it down and then start counting your chews. 12 is the normal amount before you swall automatically so you don't want large chunks still in your mouth. My clinic told me to try for 20 times or more before swallowing. Sit on your hands if necessary.

When I am at a restaurant, I find it easier to chew or eat slowly because of the conversations going on. However when I am alone (that is a lot) I will sit on my hands. Good luck, I know you can overcome your problems.

Thanks, those are some great ideas. The meds are what put a lot of this weight on me. He has me on such a high dose are Seroquil that I feel like I'm vegetating. Seroquil takes away the feeling of satiation when you eat. We did try to change to Abilify and I had lots of trouble sleeping.< /p>

When I eat out or at friends, I'm so afraid that I will PB that I eat just a few bites and chew forever.

I'll try your advice and see what happens...

Good, when you are eating think of your friends and how you feel when dining out. Slow take your time. Sure hope to hear you arenow moving on to a lower weight.

Good, when you are eating think of your friends and how you feel when dining out. Slow take your time. Sure hope to hear you arenow moving on to a lower weight.

Your help has worked. I haven't PBed in several days now. This is god for me, because when I upchuck all my dinner, I get hungry later and eat bad food which i know won't come up.

Dr would probaly suggest I see the surgeon, if I complained to him hard enough. Don't much want to do that. With the 8 month old I get a lot of "bend and stretch", and with all of them I get plenty of short trip fetching, making drinks, preparing meals, etc.

I just really need to make me get to Water walking or to ride the stationary bike. If I would make my DD go to an 8PM AA meeting, instead of 6PM, I could take her and go to my gym, just a few blocks from where the meeting is. I just don't do that. I plead fatigue.

Carlene: You are a gorgeous wonderful mom to take on your grandchildren for your DD and in all probablity giving the children an upbringing they so richly deserve.

Somehow you wonderful woman must make time for yourself. All the baby chasing etc is tiring, but nothing like a little time off for yourself will revitalize you. You need that aqa walking. Is there anyone you know that could take the children for a 1/2 hour. In our community centre, they have day care for single moms while they take the exercise program. Any around your area? Just a few thoughts.

Very good suggestions!

Yes, Carlene......need to take some time for yourself.

In our local paper today was an article written by a Professor in our University on "the last 10 pounds". He writes

1. Stabilize blood-sugar levels.

2. Spoil your appetite before you get to the high-fat, high calorie part of the meal

3. Eat a solid Breakfast with adequate Protein and a reasonable number of calories

4. Get out the weights to build muscle mass

5. Increase the intensit of your exercise

6. Eat fish oil. Fish oil has been shown to boost metabolism and improve fat burning and increase carbohydrate storage in muscles

7. Eat Protein with each meal

8. Keep your eyes on the prize

9. Have a support group

10. Be realistic.

These suggestions could also apply to a plateau I would think. Just thought I would post them in case anyone was looking for areas they could get that final push.

Those are excellent!

Plateaus can be so frustrating and discouraging.

The whole month of May my net loss was 1/2 lb!!

But so far this month I've lost 5 lb in the first two weeks!

So I'm on the move again and it's wonderful!

Good Evening Ladies,

Thanks for the concern. I'll get it worked out where I can get back to the pool and bike. The kids that are here until almost 7 P are sons'. Keep them while parents work. Keep DD's all night while their dad works. They normally come in about 7P, but grampa can keep them. They are 6-15.

DS's baby is 8 mo and about ready to leave with grampa for a few minutes.

My DD is a recovering crack addict, and is also bi polar. She, too, "inhales" her food frequently, but does not yet have a weight problem.

I got a fill yesterday and today has been good. Have been satisfied with much less food. I did not loose anything last 6 weeks. Hopefully this next period will be better. And I have to cook low carb/low fat for DH too now, so that will help a lot. Altho it will make me mad, 'cause when he eats less sugar he looses really well :)

Hi everyone. You all seem to be back on track and thinking of progressing on in the journey. Hopefully supporting each other we can all meet our goals.