Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New 60+ Thread

OK where is everyone. Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm having weight gain issues. I'm exercising like heck and not getting enough calories. What are you guys eating.

I'm supposed to be on 1200 calories. 72 Proteins, 35 fats and 50 carbs. There is no way I can get in all my calories and not go over my carbs. I only eat between 700 - 800 calories HELP

If you have about 70% fo your calories come from good Protein sources like chicken and fish I bet you could. I'd love to help you out. Send me an email or a PM....I'm here, have been successful and willing to help.

Hi: Sure there is a way to minimize carbs. Make sure you eat pure Protein and take a Vitamin.< /p>

ie. This is what I eat

Bkft: 1 egg, 1 WW bread - cheeze spread no marg.or butter

Snack: 1 no fat yogurt

Lunch: Iso Pro drink plus 4 oz shrimp

3:00: Tea + 1/2 ww bagel with cream cheese low fat

Dinner: 3 oz fish with a few veggies.

I come in with low carb at 1200 or less.

As for eating only 800 a day, that is too low. Increase your protein until you come in around 1,000. That leaves 200 calories for miscounting.

Edited by Doddie63
spelling

OK where is everyone. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm having weight gain issues. I'm exercising like heck and not getting enough calories. What are you guys eating. I'm supposed to be on 1200 calories. 72 Proteins, 35 fats and 50 carbs. There is no way I can get in all my calories and not go over my carbs. I only eat between 700 - 800 calories HELP
Hi: Sure there is a way to minimize carbs. Make sure you eat pure Protein and take a Vitamin.< p>ie. This is what I eat

Bkft: 1 egg, 1 WW bread - cheeze spread no marg.or butter

Snack: 1 no fat yogurt

Lunch: Iso Pro drink plus 4 oz shrimp

3:00: Tea + 1/2 ww bagel with cream cheese low fat

Dinner: 3 oz fish with a few veggies.

I come in with low carb at 1200 or less.

As for eating only 800 a day, that is too low. Increase your protein until you come in around 1,000. That leaves 200 calories for miscounting.

Good to see some activity on our 60+ thread!

My weight loss is going very slow these days. Too much going on the past month.. cruise to Mexico, short trip home to Seattle area, DD & SIL here visiting at our RV park. Now, to complicate my life a little more, having some back issues which are causing me a lot of pain.

Hey Phyll, so glad you have been having a lot of fun with your traveling and visiting with family. Sorry to hear about your back. I had so much trouble with mine that it had to be fused back in 2003. It has been a lot better since then, but this weight loss has really helped.

Hi everyone, I am sort of a slow loser having lost 52 pounds so far, after being banded on July 27 of last year.

I have to tell you how encouraging my husband is. When I had lost 40 pounds, he went to town to get some stuff at Walmart. When he got home, he called me and asked me to come out on our porch. He sat a bag of Water softener salt down and told me that it weighed 40 pounds and that if I really wanted to know how much weight I had lost, I should lift the bag of salt.

Well, I lifted it and was so amazed that I told him "I can't believe I have lost that much! I think I'll try it again!"

Bad Idea!! You guessed it! Threw my back out!!:blushing:

I really need a better but less graphic way of comparison!! My cousin suggested I should have imagined losing 160 sticks of butter!!!:laugh:

Any other suggestions???

Diana, So sorry you injured your back, but I give your sweet husband an e for effort. He was soooo trying to show support.

Hope your back heals quickly.

Joyce

Hello everyone....thought I might come on board. Have been reading all of your post and have been enjoying all the information. I'm being banded on 3/17/10 at the age of 67. So far have lost 16 lbs. on the pre-op diet. Even with that little of a loss feel so much better. Looking forward to what I have to take off and my health thereafter.

Oldone - Welcome. Lots of great info here. Ignore the negative and focus on the positive.

Joyce in KC

Hi all: I am 62 years old and considering getting the band. Has anyone found out how common it is to have the band erode. Sorry for the negative question -- but would hate to have to go thru the surgery and have it removed again with additional surgery and possible complications. Does everyone get checked for band slippage and eroision regularly? ? ? What is the life span of the band? cat lady

Joyce, thank you for asking....yes the back is better and I am lucky to have such a supportive spouse! I can laugh about lifting the salt now. Indeed it was a very graphic way to show me how much I had lost!!:crying:

Welcome oldone, you have found a nice bunch of people here. Glad you joined us. You are going to be so happy with the results of this surgery. I was banded at age 64 (soon to be 65) and feel so much better after losing 52 pounds. I have that much more I hope to lose! A friend of mine is 76 and got the band last Oct. He is doing great! His regular doc took him off his diabetes and cholesterol meds and reduced his blood pressure meds. Good luck to you in your journey and be sure to keep us posted as you advance through the milestones!:wink2:

cat lady, I don't know much about band erosion and no one in my support group has had that happen. I asked my doc about slippage and he said it is not as frequent as it used to be, and that I should not worry about it as he stitched the band in place around the stomach and attached my port to a muscle. He also told me that the band is designed to stay in you for the rest of your life. It can be unfilled in case of a pregnancy or illness and then refilled when the person recovers. It can also be removed if it really needs to be.

There is a place on this forum where you can read about the complications people have had with the band. It is a good idea to read the good and the bad about the band, but don't dwell on the bad and make yourself scared. :)

If you do have some questions that are really bothering you, you can always ask your doctor what the odds are of it happening to you.

Glad that you posted and good luck to you.

Oldone - Welcome. Lots of great info here. Ignore the negative and focus on the positive.

Joyce in KC

ladykcusa-Thank you for the welcome. I see you might be in my neck of the woods. My surgery is being done by Malley Surgerical Center in Mission, KS by Dr. C. Thomas Hitchcock. Definitely ignoring the negative because for me the negative without this surgery will be an early demise. So I'm telling myself that I'm like the "little engine that could". Thanks for responding. :wink2:

Hello everyone....thought I might come on board. Have been reading all of your post and have been enjoying all the information. I'm being banded on 3/17/10 at the age of 67. So far have lost 16 lbs. on the pre-op diet. Even with that little of a loss feel so much better. Looking forward to what I have to take off and my health thereafter.

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I think I lost 18 lb. on my pre-op diet. Will be thinking of you on St. Patty's Day!

Hi all: I am 62 years old and considering getting the band. Has anyone found out how common it is to have the band erode. Sorry for the negative question -- but would hate to have to go thru the surgery and have it removed again with additional surgery and possible complications. Does everyone get checked for band slippage and erosion regularly? ? ? What is the life span of the band? cat lady

Hi, Cat Lady! I'm on several threads and don't know of any erosion problems that I can think of off hand.

Diane, glad your back is better. Mine is feeling a little better, too.

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start! I think I lost 18 lb. on my pre-op diet. Will be thinking of you on St. Patty's Day!

Hi, Cat Lady! I'm on several threads and don't know of any erosion problems that I can think of off hand.

Diane, glad your back is better. Mine is feeling a little better, too.

Phyllser-Thank you for the reply....I'm feeling really proud, and confident that I've lost this much..So keeping the attitude of the "little engine that could". I know I can, I know I can.

Cat Lady-When I seen my lap band surgeon on Thurday we talked about erosion. He actually brought this subject up and he has been in the business for 30+ years and does nothing but lap band since it came into play. He told me, he has not had a patient that this has occurred to nor has he seen one. I would have to believe, this might be a rare occurance, considering his years of experience in this business. Hopefully, this might give you a little piece of mind.

Hi DianaG, Oldone, & Phyllster: Thanks for your support and honest replies. I guess I'm overthinking this decision of mine. Went through most of the pre op testing and all came back well. The thought of doing this excites me -- just to think of losing and feeling good about myself again. Hope I have the courage to continue on this journey. cat lady (the cowardly lion):thumbup:

Phyllser-Thank you for the reply....I'm feeling really proud, and confident that I've lost this much..So keeping the attitude of the "little engine that could". I know I can, I know I can.

Cat Lady-When I seen my LAP-BAND® surgeon on Thurday we talked about erosion. He actually brought this subject up and he has been in the business for 30+ years and does nothing but LAP-BAND® since it came into play. He told me, he has not had a patient that this has occurred to nor has he seen one. I would have to believe, this might be a rare occurance, considering his years of experience in this business. Hopefully, this might give you a little piece of mind.

Welcome Old One - It's never too late! You will find this journey to be hard work, but fun and rewarding at the same time. Your only regret will probably be that you didn't do it sooner.:thumbup:

Cat Lady: Hi. Everyone is correct- erosions and slippages do occur but they are rare. Have a conversation with your surgeon and ask him/her point blank about the complication rate of the bands he/she places. Also ask how often he sees slippages and/or erosions. The doctor should be very forthcoming with this information which will then increase yoyur comfort level a little. don't know if you have ever seen my blog, but I am blogging my entrie journey over the past 5+ years with the band...You can read it for both information and inspiration. I have put up some information that I hope is useful to all of you out there. You can find it at:

Sandi's Banded Living — My Lapband Weight Loss Success Story

I'm interested in your feedback.

sandi2004..thank you for the encouragement. My thought is weight loss is actually not hard, it is keeping it off that is the difficult road. So feel once the weight is gone, the band is there to help with keeping that weight off. Maybe my thinking on this is wrong. Want you to know that I've been to your website and it is awesome. Keep it up.