Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DeLarla's Weekly Fun Thread

DeLarla

I have been on many diets-from weight watchers to Atkins to richard simons=) I even tried Xenical,which was a pooin' nightmare!!!! I tried just about ever diet pill known to man.the craziest thing i ever did though was have an eating disorder for about 3 years. I lost 50 lbs,gained 80 lbs then lost 80 lbs in about 6 months. It was terrible i was constantly taking diet pills and feeling like i was so fat even though i was boney. Somehow i overcame it and gained about 150 lbs. I am now doing it the healthy way and feel so wonderful and confident already=) and this time i will keep it off!!!

I used to shoot myself with HCG everyday. Didn't do a thing to make me lose wieght, but I did get pregnant. Come to find out they use them for infertility treatments. Turned out to be the best diet ever!!

Just when you think you've heard it all, now here comes......

Lose Weight on the Peanut Butter Diet

Eat 4 to 6 tablespoons of Peanut Butter every day. You'll lose weight and you won't be hungry.

Yeah, yeah, peanut butter is loaded with calories. But it's also packed with monounsaturated fats, which Men's Health magazine calls the original death-defying potion. In fact, the magazine goes so far as to say we should all be on the Skippy Diet to reduce the risk of heart disease AND to lose weight.

Researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital concluded that people who consumed foods that were high in monounsaturated fats, including olive oil, avocados, and peanut butter, were more likely to lose weight and keep it off than people following a more regimented, lower-fat diet. These amazing claims were backed up by researchers at Purdue University. It's really pretty simple: Peanut butter is filling. BUT. Limit your Jif Diet to no more than 6 tablespoons of the gooey stuff a day.

Delicious recipes for All Meals Using Peanut Butter [Jif]

Peanut Butter Has Diabetes Benefits Too [WebMD]

These 5 Foods Help Control Your Appetite [Netscape]

How Peanut Butter Is Made [PeanutButterLovers]

Fats to Eat and Fats to Avoid [iVillage]

What do you eat on the peanut butter diet? Men's Health offers this menu:

Breakfast: Peanut Butter and banana shake (1 cup of fat-free milk, 1 medium banana, and 2 Tbsp. peanut butter liquefied in a blender)

Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple

Snack: Peanut butter on a rice cake

Dinner: It's peanut-butter free! But be sensible and enjoy a skinless chicken breast, chopped nuts, an avocado, and a salad for example.

In case you need justification to go on the peanut butter diet, how about justifying a healthy heart? Peanut butter may just lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. Reuters reports that Italian researchers have concluded that women who consume less Vitamin E may be at a far greater risk of heart disease and stroke. Vitamin E seems to protect against plaque build-up or arteriosclerosis at the carotid bifurcation, the Y-shaped branch in the arteries of the neck. And peanut butter is packed with vitamin E--along with canned salmon with the bones, canned tuna fish, olive oil, almonds, and sunflower seeds.

Led by Dr. Paolo Rubba from Federico II University in Naples, Italy, the research team examined 310 women aged 30 to 69, measuring their blood levels of Vitamins A, C, E, and other antioxidants. They also interviewed each participant about her medical history, drug use, personal habits, and food consumption. Based on this information, the women were divided into three groups based on their vitamin E consumption. (None were taking vitamin supplements.)

Those who ate a diet that was the richest in vitamin E foods also had the lowest build-up of plaque in the carotid bifurcation. Reuters reports that those who consumed the least vitamin E were nearly three times more likely to have arterial plaque regardless of age, smoking habits, blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), and other heart disease risk factors. How vitamin E protects against heart disease and stroke is not yet known. The study findings were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Prevention Magazine had a Peanut Butter diet out about a year ago. A lot of women have lost weight with it I guess. I like peanut butter, but I would get pretty sick of it eating it every day! I think I will stay with the eat anything you want in smaller portions diet! :(:):rolleyes:

My older sister could do the Peanut Butter diet without blinking. She loves it so much she buys the giant costco size and finishes the barrel, er jar.

I just don't like it well enough, unless it has chocolate on it. I don't suppose that's in the diet?

I love LBT! It's wonderful to hear everyone's stories from the diet wars. Lisa, you still win the prize with your first post. . . but look at all the crap we've gone through (literally, for those of us who tried Xenical).

When I was 13 my mom took me to a local doc who was considered on the cutting edge of weight-loss treatments. His hands shook and he smelled of bourbon, but he was thin, and a big advocate of a pre-Atkins regimen. No carbs, period. I got down to 140 lbs. I was 5'7". He said I was still too fat and wanted me to lose at least 20 more lbs. while eating noting but Protein -- no vegetables, no fruits, nothing but meats, eggs, and cheese. I went mental with a bowl of plain strawberries and gained five pounds overnight. A couple of years (and 50 lbs.) later my parents sent me to a university clinic where I had nothing but diet Jello and Fresca for a week. I lost 12 lbs. When I came home, my father berated me for not being disciplined enough to stick to that "simple" (i.e., two-item) diet. I never forgave him.

I tried speed in college; my boyfriend (who I thought was extremely street-wise and sophisticated because he was 28) scored black beauties off some funky dealer and we spent a couple of weeks not sleeping but getting thin. We thought we were brilliantly creative. I was urged to go on lithium to control my supposed "mania" shortly thereafter and thought I had no reason to live. But my legs looked fabulous.

A few years ago they were advertising this drink that helps you loose. For the life of me I can not recall the name of it. You were supposed to drink 8oz’s of it before bed each night and lose weight while you sleep. Lots of local radio hosts were touting it and stating great weight loss. At first I just ignored it as a “get thin quick scheme” and newest fad, but so many people were trying it and loosing weight so I thought I would give it a try. My WH in an attempt to be supportive tried it with me. After about 2 weeks of taking the stuff I noticed something rather unsettling. It had been 2 or 3 days (I wasn’t sure) since we poo’ed. Needless to say we both stopped taking the diet drink and started taking Milk of Magnesia. It took another two weeks to be able to poo regularly again without M of M. I called the company to complain and they suggested that I drink more Water with the product.:) About a year later I heard something about a class action lawsuit against them. I guess a lot of people didn’t drink enough water either. :cheeky

Well, here it is my most desperate attempt to be thin. Last summer I convinced my (thin) husband to do the "Master Cleanse" with me. For those of you who are not familiar with the madness of the cleanse, you basically don't eat any food, and only drink a concoction of warm Water, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and grade B maple Syrup. It is truly the vilest thing I have ever put in my body. The whole idea is that you do drink this, and don't eat for some ridiculous amount of time (40 or 70 days I think) and when you're done, your colon is clean, all of the toxins are out of your body, and you have lost tons of weight. I lasted 2 days. I will NEVER forget the smell of that drink, and the warm temperature of the water mixed with the spiciness of the cayenne....yuck!

The most weight I ever lost was at age 19 doing fen-phen. I tried to eat pretty healthy food, and I worked out a ton! I went from 230 to 197.

Right now 230 isn't looking bad to me.:)

Zoe, you crack me up! Maybe my story is the most electrifying, but back then it was pretty popular so there are others like me (or was it all just another bad dream and it never really happened?)

Meanwhile, my really skinny friend, Shelly, is an herbalist (her mom actually owns an herbal store.) She has 2 teens and wears a size 2. She lives on chicken and vegetables and never puts an ounce of crap in her system. OH, but it's okay that she smokes a pack of cigarettes every day. Lately she's been horribly ill after a bad "raw oyster" experience. She's been going to doctors for two months and they finally found her problem - she's got two bleeding ulcers. I told her to eat a plate of onion rings and call me in the morning. All those herbs and aloe vera, yet she's got bleeding ulcers.

It's so mean, but it kind of cracks me up with the 'back to nature' types have issues like that. No offense is meant to anyone in particular, and of course I would never make any kind of remark to any of them if they were having troubles, but they work so hard to be 'clean and pure' and it really doesn't seem to do any good... or at least, there's body types that need grease every once in a while, lol.