Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DeLarla's Weekly Fun Thread

DeLarla

Sorry for laughing, Shelly, but I'm still trying to figure out how you came up with THAT one!

This one's not so funny, but I became frighteningly addicted to street speed. When I was a teen I stole Dexatrim or bought it if I had the money. But I moved in with a new roommate and found little black pills in the carpet. I learned she was dealing Black Beauties. At first I was horrified, but after trying one and not eating for two days, she became my supplier. There were days I'd crawl on hands and knees raking the carpet for a pill. It eventually got to the point that I'd set 2 pills on my nightstand. I set my alarm 1/2 hour earlier than I needed to get up just to take the 2 pills and go back to sleep. 1/2 hour later I'd spring out of bed. I was riding my bike 1 hour to the gym for 2 advanced aerobic classes then ride home. I ended up in Urgent Care where the doc said, "thanks for stopping by on your way to the mortuary." That was rock bottom, so I quit speed and caffeine cold turkey.

The saddest part of all this is that there are still young girls doing the same things, only now there are so many new ways to assist in killing yourself. Dexatrim turned to ephedrine. Black Beauties turned to crack. Sigh.

hey lisa...it was a diet that i made up all by myself...i call it the sugar junkie diet...

i went to rehab when i was 15 and i met a girl who did crank (crystal meth or bathtub crank made out of ephedrin) to control her weight. it is very hard to kick and it is a huge problem here in TN.

a doctor prescribed a diet for me when I weighed about 195 pounds. I was a size 14, and would sink like a rock in a pool...

he wanted me on 300 calories a day. Not 1300 calories, but 300 calories.

I lasted an afternoon....

I dieted off and on from the time I was 16 (I'm 55), but sure haven't tried them ALL -- not according to what I'm reading here, anyway! But I do remember as a young single woman in my 20s fighting the 200-lb mark (which looks good to me now BTW), I enrolled in something that I think was called the Medical Diet. I went to a house-turned-clinic where they doled out my allotment of shrink-wrapped food for the week -- as I recall it was just one grocery bag. I took it home and proceeded to eat the whole week's worth of Entrees in one sitting. So much for that attempt!

Oh Jackie, that's a funny one! I remember doing that when I was on Nutrisystem, which is basically the same where they give you pre-packaged space food. I'd eat all the Desserts by "borrowing meals" from the next day. I'd be in so much food debt the first night that I'd just say, "screw it" and blow the whole diet.

NUTRISYSTEM alone was the biggest joke! They called it a hamburger, but it was a dry sponge. You set it in Water for a few minutes and it came to life. That's pretty damn scary!

The one I hated was the cabbage Soup diet. I even had my DH doing it! My house stunk so bad from that soup that we couldn't stand to walk in the back door after work! Anyone remember that one?

My favorite made-up one was all the fruits and veggies I wanted, and Peanut Butter. Nothing else... lol :)

I did really well, but probably more due to my membership and commitment to the gym at the time... :)

Betty, I think the Cabbage Soup Diet was actually the Beverly Hills Diet... if memory serves me well, you got to eat as much of that cabbage soup as you wanted. Mabye it wasn't the Beverly Hills, but as soon as I read your post the smell of pungent stinky cabbage soup flooded my memory all too well. They say that scent is the strongest sense for memory, so I apparently remember the cabbage soup very well! And I remember the first few bowls were really tasty, but after living off of it the smell could gag you!

How bad is it that I have my band and I am still doing the Special K diet? It is my favorite Cereal and it goes down easily. I eat 1 cup of cereal 2 times a day and then eat a regular meal which I am keeping under 500 calories. I am so busy it doesn't feel like a diet and it is either Special K or nothing so I feel better getting something down.

One thing I’ve prided myself on is that I haven’t been a big dieter. I watched my mother struggle through one diet after another, and always having initial success only to see the weight return. Notice I didn’t say “fail” or “failure.” After thinking about all the different diets that have been posted here, I realized that I’ve been on a big whack of them. Weight Watchers, Neutrasystem (can I get a new gall bladder?), the grapefruit diet, different food combinations diets, the cabbage Soup diet (love cabbage soup…), different supervised diets, giving up chocolate for lent (gained 15 pounds during that lent.), Atkins, and I’m sure there half a dozen more that I have blocked out of my memory…

So. It turns out that I have been a big dieter all along. Funny how I don’t recognize things while they are happening.

Best diet success I ever had was on adipex.

Here's how it went:

Adipex in the AM.

12 cups of coffee

1 Lean Cuisine for lunch

5 Grey Goose Martinis

(10 olives)

Pack of Marlboro Lights

(About 4 hours of sleep)

After a few weeks I had to keep upping my adipex to keep the speed going.

Luckily this was when I was in my 20's and I was single. It also made me CRAZY. Not to mention HIGHLY irritable. I lost about 65lbs. Went on to lead a healthier lifestyle....gained it all back (including my sanity) and then some! Ahhh....the good old days.

Greg, are you really going to try to make us feel bad for taking drugs two decades ago MR. POLICE-MOM-MONITOR-DUDE? HUH? Are you on drugs? I can't even take cold medicine these days without hallucinations! Daisy, I think I published that Apidex Diet back in them good old days! Kim, you must be dropping weight like crazy. I'm jealous!