Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

I am looking to do my lap-band in Mexico, and I am looking at using

Dr.Jaime Ricardo Ramos Kelly. Could anyone tell me if they have used this Doctor and where can I go to research any doctor in Mexico?

Dear Butterfly

I won't take up time with repetition here. This thread has my complete story in it. I lost over $20,000 USD by going to Mexico for a Lapband. I nearly died during bandng, had to be debanded 8 months later, never lost any weight and had to borrow money for he debanding to avoid serious complications with the band down in my intestines.

I believe that in the USA I would have had some recourse, but I had none in Mexico and neither will you.

If Mexico is all you can afford then so be it. It was all I could afford, but I ended up borrowing another $8,000 dollars that I'm still paying back and no lapband to show for it.

You may be one of the lucky ones, you may not.

I also had to borrow more then $21,000 to pay for a band and all the complications from it but I don't discredit Mexico because with out the lower medical options I would never have considered WLS. We just need to research and find a good surgeon. It is the same here in the USA we have some doctors in it for the money and some who really care that they are helping people out.

Cosmo....you Picked A Bad Doctor And Did Not Follow Thru And Research Your Doctor. You Have A Problem With Your Doctor And Should Not Try And Lump All Mexican Doctors Together Because You Had A Bad Experience With Yours. If You Want To Share That Experience For "just That Doctor", Please Do. But Stop Your Whining With Cheese.....that It Is All Mexico Doctors That Is A Problem Because That Is Not True At All!!! Unless You Have Proof On Every Mexican Doctor That They Are Not Great Surgeons....please Get A Life, And Be Fair. This Forum Is To Help!!! If You Want To Warn Someone About Your Surgeon, Then That Is What You Can Speak On....but There Are Many Of Us That Had Great Experiences With Our Mexican Doctors That You Can Not Reply On And Be Creditable. So Stop Whining And Trying To Also Bash Mexican Doctors Because You Did Not Do Your Research In Picking Your Doctor!!!

Lena23

I work in the medical field also. If you are implying for a second that everything that happens to patients in surgery that shouldn't have gets reported, you have a huge misconception of HIPAA. HIPAA is a patient privacy act for their medical information, not a Better Business Bureau for bad surgeons. What part of the medical field do you work in, obviously not surgery like me. Word of mouth and real life occurrances is the point she is trying to make. They carry important data with them that isn't recorded or reported anywhere alot of times. There are a lot of rural areas and people who have no families, etc. that inappropriate medical events happen to and no action is ever taken or documented. Let's all get real here. Accept that there is other information out there that is pertinent, besides documented info.

I too am scheduled to be banded with Dr. Zapata next week on the 24th of June. I am beginning to get nervous.

Cosmo....you Picked A Bad Doctor And Did Not Follow Thru And Research Your Doctor. You Have A Problem With Your Doctor And Should Not Try And Lump All Mexican Doctors Together Because You Had A Bad Experience With Yours. If You Want To Share That Experience For "just That Doctor", Please Do. But Stop Your Whining With Cheese.....that It Is All Mexico Doctors That Is A Problem Because That Is Not True At All!!! Unless You Have Proof On Every Mexican Doctor That They Are Not Great Surgeons....please Get A Life, And Be Fair. This Forum Is To Help!!! If You Want To Warn Someone About Your Surgeon, Then That Is What You Can Speak On....but There Are Many Of Us That Had Great Experiences With Our Mexican Doctors That You Can Not Reply On And Be Creditable. So Stop Whining And Trying To Also Bash Mexican Doctors Because You Did Not Do Your Research In Picking Your Doctor!!!

Lena23

Dear Moosemamma & Lena

I'm not slamming Mexican Doctors. Yes all Doctors make mistakes. Just add it up. Lena shelled out $20,000 for her episode so did I. Mine had an original price tag of $8,000 dollars. For $15,000 you can get a US Surgeon and the reasurrances that go with it. The Mexico gig is pot-luck. If you get unlucky like me and Lena then you paid for a band and got NADA.

I would have quickly hauled my docotr's ass into court and I'm sure I would've come away with more than a thank you note.

It's well worth your consideration.

If you think you can't afford a band anywhere else but Mexico just wait until you pay for two of them and come away with nothing.

dear Moosemamma & Lena

I'm Not Slamming Mexican Doctors. Yes All Doctors Make Mistakes. Just Add It Up. Lena Shelled Out $20,000 For Her Episode So Did I. Mine Had An Original Price Tag Of $8,000 Dollars. For $15,000 You Can Get A Us Surgeon And The Reasurrances That Go With It. The Mexico Gig Is Pot-luck. If You Get Unlucky Like Me And Lena Then You Paid For A Band And Got Nada.

I Would Have Quickly Hauled My Docotr's Ass Into Court And I'm Sure I Would've Come Away With More Than A Thank You Note.

It's Well Worth Your Consideration.

If You Think You Can't Afford A Band Anywhere Else But Mexico Just Wait Until You Pay For Two Of Them And Come Away With Nothing.

Cosmo....this Is Lena!! I Just Have A Few Things To Express To You Again! For 1, I Didn't Pay $20,000 For My Surgery....i Payed $7,500 With Dr. Ortiz, If You Must Know. 2nd...you Have Made Posts Suggesting That Anyone Going To Mexico For Surgery Is Not A Good Idea. This Is All Just Because You Did Not Research Your Surgeon. You Yourself Posted That You Asked For References On Your Surgeon But No One Responded...that In Itself Should Have Told You Something And ""you"" Still Made That Choice To Have "a Rod" Do Your Surgery. Also, There Is Feedback On This Forum Reference That Doctor...some Positive But The Most Negative!! If You Would Have Done The Research.....i'm Sure You Would Not Have Made That Choice With Common Sense. I Looked At "a Rod" For Surgery And Got Feedback That Let Me Know He Was Not The Doctor For Me And That A Jose Rod Was Better. Still And Yet I Did Not Pick Him Also. There Is A Risk In Having Any Surgery Where You Have To Go Under...but That Was Not Your Problem....your Band Eroded!! That Is A Known Complication With This Surgery. Yes, You Could Have Sued A Us Doctor But Proably Wouldn't Have Won The Case Because Of That. Everyones Body Type Is Different And Your Body Couldn't Handle The Band, Like Some Have Said, No Error To The Doctor But Their Bodies Rejected The Band. It's Not Like The Doctor Placed Your Band Upside Or Banded Your Intestines Where You Would Have Fault With The Doctor. But Since You Don't Know Who Paid $20,000 For Their Band....i Doubt Seriously If You Know The Circumstances Of Your Band Anyway. So Keep Whining With Your Cheese.....if That Is The Only Way You Can Feel Better!!!!

Lena23

Lena23

Cosmo.....also, Can You Please Give The Name For The Surgeon That I Can Call For Complete Reassurance For All The Surgeries He Or She May Do. I'm Sure Alot Of People Would Want That Number!!!!

Lena23

Edited by lena23
DIDN'T WANT MY POST ADDED TO THIS ONE.

Lena23

Cosmo.....also, Can You Please Give The Name For The Surgeon That I Can Call For Complete Reassurance For All The Surgeries He Or She May Do. I'm Sure Alot Of People Would Want That Number!!!!

Lena23

Dear Lena

I'm not sure what your asking above. I though we already covered that. Arturo Rodriguez, Monterrey Mexico, 2006. I no longer have his Ph # if thats what your after. Just watch the avertisement above on this page he's with the Baritraic Group. If you need anymore research techniques feel free to call on me. Or just tell all of those "Lots of People" !!! your new secert research tool.

Tell'em Cosos sent you

Be careful talking bad about A. Rod...some of "us" (not me) get testy if we even mention the fact that A. Rod is less then perfect and doesn't have great references.....I wonder Trisha is this is enough to make you think that maybe some of what is being said about him MAY indeed be true?

Dear Moosemamma & Lena

I'm not slamming Mexican Doctors. Yes all Doctors make mistakes. Just add it up. Lena shelled out $20,000 for her episode so did I. Mine had an original price tag of $8,000 dollars. For $15,000 you can get a US Surgeon and the reasurrances that go with it. The Mexico gig is pot-luck. If you get unlucky like me and Lena then you paid for a band and got NADA.

I would have quickly hauled my docotr's ass into court and I'm sure I would've come away with more than a thank you note.

It's well worth your consideration.

If you think you can't afford a band anywhere else but Mexico just wait until you pay for two of them and come away with nothing.

COSMO....you stated in your post "you can get a US surgeon and the reassurances that go with it"!! My point is no doctor can give you reassurance that nothing could go wrong in have surgery and if they can I would like to have that doctor's name and phone number. You're not gonna get that no matter what country you chose to have a surgery in!!! Any surgery is a risk no matter what!!! You really need to watch what you post to be believeable!!!!

Lena23

COSMO....you stated in your post "you can get a US surgeon and the reassurances that go with it"!! My point is no doctor can give you reassurance that nothing could go wrong in have surgery and if they can I would like to have that doctor's name and phone number. You're not gonna get that no matter what country you chose to have a surgery in!!! Any surgery is a risk no matter what!!! You really need to watch what you post to be believeable!!!!

Lena23

they are ancious

Dear Lena

I've talked to a couple of attorneys here in the USA. It's hard to get thier attention about an incident that occured in Monterrey. Thing is that they are anxious about the 4 hours under gas and then coming up with punemonia as a result.

You want to hear the ugly truth. Here it is: What Rodriguez ALREADY KNOWS AND HAS KNOWN since the band placement. I am tried of being nice. SCREW BEING POLITICALLY NICE AND CORRECT.

RODRIGUEZ KEPT ME UNDER ON GAS FOR 4 HOURS. He knew I was going to be lucky to come out of that alive. ALIVE. I'm not sure I was supposed to come out alive at all. My WIFE loves me. And I guarantee your sweet ass That I would not be alive today without her. She is the only person that kept me from being another unknown statistic. My wife was right up in Rodriguez'es face. She was deterimined to get me out of there alive. I was out of it. My wife "God Bless her" is the only reason your reading this today. She got me out of there. And the emergeny room in Houston is the only reason I 'm alive today.

DON'T GO TO MEXICO BY YOURSELF !!!

Kick me off this website if need be !

Auturo Rodriguez is a Lying SON-OF A-BITCH IF HE DISAGREES and my life didn't mean anymore TO HIM THAN his profit margin.

You want to defend Mexico. Fine. There are some good Surgeons in Mexico. We all know that. If you go down there and things turn against you, Know this, if you don't have anyone to help you down there, then your mortality will easily become a matter of profit margins. I don't care what anybody says, you can't research Mexico efficiently. It's a place where things can be bought easily.

It ain't the USA. It's Mexico.

Lena23

sorry if someone has something happen to THEM .. that's first hand experience THOSE things need to be posted in my opinion and do NOT NEED to be "watched " and are VERY Believable !

Mindy

they are ancious

Dear Lena

I've talked to a couple of attorneys here in the USA. It's hard to get thier attention about an incident that occured in Monterrey. Thing is that they are anxious about the 4 hours under gas and then coming up with punemonia as a result.

You want to hear the ugly truth. Here it is: What Rodriguez ALREADY KNOWS AND HAS KNOWN since the band placement. I am tried of being nice. SCREW BEING POLITICALLY NICE AND CORRECT.

RODRIGUEZ KEPT ME UNDER ON GAS FOR 4 HOURS. He knew I was going to be lucky to come out of that alive. ALIVE. I'm not sure I was supposed to come out alive at all. My WIFE loves me. And I guarantee your sweet ass That I would not be alive today without her. She is the only person that kept me from being another unknown statistic. My wife was right up in Rodriguez'es face. She was deterimined to get me out of there alive. I was out of it. My wife "God Bless her" is the only reason your reading this today. She got me out of there. And the emergeny room in Houston is the only reason I 'm alive today.

DON'T GO TO MEXICO BY YOURSELF !!!

Kick me off this website if need be !

Auturo Rodriguez is a Lying SON-OF A-BITCH IF HE DISAGREES and my life didn't mean anymore TO HIM THAN his profit margin.

You want to defend Mexico. Fine. There are some good Surgeons in Mexico. We all know that. If you go down there and things turn against you, Know this, if you don't have anyone to help you down there, then your mortality will easily become a matter of profit margins. I don't care what anybody says, you can't research Mexico efficiently. It's a place where things can be bought easily.

It ain't the USA. It's Mexico.

There is no reason to kick you off this site for posting your experience .

Mindy

I had my surgery done with Dr. Lopez AND had a great experience

I would recommend Lopez

Hi, hopefully someone can reassure me here. I happened to find a site called medicaltourismco with my google search. They are located here in Plano TX so I felt comfortable. Strangely enough they sent me info on this same doctor, but out of El Paso TX, not out of Calif??

Im wondering how this doctor can be in two diverse locations practicing at once. I also read a couple of posts that this particular doctor has his assistants do the surgery, not this doctor. I did the research and was comfortable with him untiil I read he may not actually do the surgery.

You had him in Tijuanna Mexico. Seems odd to me he would also be practicing in Juarez Mexico. busy man??!!

They have him

Dr. Juan Antonio Lopez Corvala

Location 2: Hospital Star Medica, Juarez, Mexico

Package