Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I really don't think I am crazy but.....

I went to my evaluation appt on Tuesday. The questions were seriously silly. Are you homicidal, suicidal, do you want to eat clay etc etc

after 2 hours of this stuff I go home and have a message that says the test is inconclusive and now I have to go back and take it again.

The sheer thought of sitting through that again is ridiculous. Anyone else dealing with this?

my psych evaluation was the same way. i just went in real perky and in a good mood and answered there questions. they tried to get things outta me about my family history. yeah right i dont kiss and tell. just tell them things that you understand this surgery isnt a quick fix but your doing for your health. that you have a great family life and so on and so on. tell them what you have to cause if they dont approve your eval you can possibly not get your surgery

my psych evaluation was the same way. i just went in real perky and in a good mood and answered there questions. they tried to get things outta me about my family history. yeah right i dont kiss and tell. just tell them things that you understand this surgery isnt a quick fix but your doing for your health. that you have a great family life and so on and so on. tell them what you have to cause if they dont approve your eval you can possibly not get your surgery

I wish mine was like that.... it's a 344 questionnare.... with a scale of 1-5

I wish mine was like that.... it's a 344 questionnare.... with a scale of 1-5

Oh wow that's sucks I hat those I hope I don't have to do a questionaire.

I am gonna go retake it today... But that makes you really nervous to retake something that determines your eligibility for the surgery... Not to mention I am 4 months into my 6 month requirement program to find this out.

Compared to all of you, I got off easy. I had a psych nurse, who talked to me and asked me questions about work, home, and family. She also asked me if my sister (who had RNY about 18 months ago) had tried to influence me. I could honestly tell her no, I came to the decision all on my own, did lots of research. and decided the Lapband was the way I wanted to go. I am waiting for approval. Just got my very last weigh-in for the 6 month "diet" and once I get the letter about that and take it to my PCP, that will go back to the bariatric team, and I believe then my paperwork goes to insurance for approval. Hoping for sometime in Feb.:rolleyes:

My eval went super smooth.. I answered a questionaire mostly about my weight history and family weight history. Took only 30 minutes (took longer to drive to his office). We discussed the procedure and the outcomes.

The psych doctor I saw sees WLS patients and he was very nice.

My psych consult consisted of about 20 minutes with the psychologist answering extremely general questions and then about 40 minutes filling out a questionnaire that seemed designed to rule out the outright crazies. The questionnaire was a pain but no big deal.

I talked to my therapist (who is a psychiatric social worker and not the same one that did my evaluation) about the WLS evaluations she does and she said that she looks for emotional stability, a good support system, and reasonable & realistic expectations of WLS. If she finds that someone is depressed, that doesn't necessarily disqualify them but she might give a referral so you can get meds for it.

Jean

weight.png

I had a 400 question 'test' before I had my appointment. The questions were SO stupid, 'Do you currently see an elephant in this room....' WHAT? I had to laugh.

I had a 30 minute meeting with the pysch. doctor. It went well-she just did like family history, medical history, etc. She asked me how I dealt with stress, I told her I prayed. She asked me how many times I had ever thrown up after eating...I told her once, and it really pissed me off becuase it was my favorite kind of pizza, and it was like $18 for the medium (which I ate). She laughed....we had a great time.

On my way out, I told her that I thought I saw a huge elephant behind her.

I was a cash patient-I think they would have just approved me for the moola. Ha! Jk.

Princess T, you are funny!! That's something I probably would have done. LOL.

All ya'll got off easy! My test was 700 questions after a 45 minute lecture, that's right, lecture... didn't ask me a single question about me or my life... which you'd think a psychologist would.. he talked to me about how I need to exercise and that I should only eat 7 bites.. that was the magic number.. etc.. then he put me in a room with a computerized test with 300 questions and a SCANTRON test with 400 questions that I had to bubble in every single time. With a crappy ass pencil. I have carpal tunnel and disc bulges in my neck. After being bent over and writing for two hours, the next day my neck went out and I couldn't turn it for 3 days... I think that test was more damaging than anything. I left drained... irritated.. and in pain.

* Can I get some whine with my meal? LOL * HA HA

Actual questions on test:

1. Are you afraid of fire?

2. Do you have sexual dreams?

3. Did you ever steal anything in your youth?

4. Do you laugh at sexual jokes?

5. Is your sex life great?

6. Do you sometimes laugh for no reason?

7. Are you afraid of snakes?

8. Do you think people make their ailments out to be worse than they are for sympathy?

9. Do you think most people lie?

10. Do you believe in God?

11. Do you believe in Hell and the Devil?

So, there ya go. NONE of these have anything to do with depression.. lol. They were just dumb random questions. I especially didn't see how God and the Devil had anything to do with anything. DUMB.

I'm glad I didn't read this thread before going to my psych eval. I would have been freaked. LOL I got off really easy. She sat down with me and my husband and asked questions about my mental state, family background, support system, attitude towards dieting, tendencies towards bullimia, etc. I do tend to have a bit of depression, but it didn't disqualify me. She just strongly suggested that I find somebody to talk to, especially after getting the surgery.

I still laugh when I think about my eval, I remember the Dr looking at me and asking with the most serious face " Do you sometimes think the TV is talking just to you?" I couldn't help but laugh and I was worried he would tell me I couldn't have surgery.

I just sat with a pysch that counsels weight loss patients, she mostly asked about what diets I tried over the years and how much I weighed over the years and when I eat etc.

I paid $100 for her to "write my report" and in the end was self pay for the surgery anyway, but I guess I "passed".

My nutritional consult was a joke! She basically had a package ready of lists of what I could eat at each stage and just reviewed it with me. No discussion of how to eat long term etc.

I've done my own research and at 56 I'm not a kid that doesn't understand this surgery will change how I eat forever.

But I don't think either one of the "evaluations" was thorough.

Good Morning,

Before the doc started my psych eval, i asked her about the purpose of the evaluation. She explained that the evaluation was expected to tell them whether i had a sound understanding of the things in my life that influence my weight, whether i had realistic expectations of the LapBand, and whether my personality and behavioral characteristics indicated a probability of success at using the LapBand as a weight-loss tool.

Sounds like some of you had to deal with some pretty far-out psych docs. Sad. Mine was gentle and i felt the questions she asked were effective in getting to the objective she described. I, too had to answer that questionnaire-don't remember how many questions-but since i understood the overall objective, it didn't upset or concern me that they were asking some seemingly irrelevant questions.