Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MaineGeneral Bariatric Center

Any Mainers out there?? How is everyone doing? I am just *patiently* waiting to get a date.. Are you still out there Sarah? Just wanted to check in with everyone, hope all is well:)

Hi, k_podski, I am from Maine. I haven't had any appointments yet. I have ask for Dr. Wolff in Portland. I live in West Paris. Sallie

Hi Sallie:) Welcome to the site! I live just above Farmington.. I haven't heard much about the Portland Bariatric program.. How are things going for you? Did you have to attend a seminar?? Do you have to go through the regular appts like the psych eval, nutritionist etc..?? Ha ha.. Lots of questions.. sorry, I'm a talker:) Any idea on when you'll be banded?

:)Kerri

Hello K Podski and other Mainers,

The wait, or what I call "The Process", can get frustrating, but hang in there. Your date is coming soon.:) I was banded two weeks ago and I have to say the first week and 1/2 was rough for me. I wasn't prepared for the "gas" pain from the surgery to be so severe, and I wasn't prepared to feel so tired.:cryin:

But everyone told me to get out and walk, walk, walk, and it did help. Each day got a little better and a little better. I am still a bit tender where the incisions are, but everything seems to be healing up okay. I am back to work now and feeling fine. Gotta love Protein Drinks and liquid diets. I already feel better and have lost some weight. :)

It is great to see some more Mainers logging on and replying. Anyone out there attending the Maine Bariatric Center in Augusta? How has your experience been?

Thanks Chi Chi. for the encouragement.. I am so anxious to get my date and get this started!! I am going through Maine General. Dr.Trieu said he's scheduling for mid March right now... GAAAHHHH!! I told him I am not one for lots of patience so he said he's going to put my name on the cancellation list.. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.. Sounds like you're doing good! Keep us informed on how you're doing?? Great to hear from someone that went through Maine General!:)

Take care!

Kerri

Hi Sallie:) Welcome to the site! I live just above Farmington.. I haven't heard much about the Portland Bariatric program.. How are things going for you? Did you have to attend a seminar?? Do you have to go through the regular appts like the psych eval, nutritionist etc..?? Ha ha.. Lots of questions.. sorry, I'm a talker:) Any idea on when you'll be banded?

Hi Kerri, I haven't seen the doc.:) yet. I just wanted to talk to others that are (or) have had the surgery. I found this site and boy was I glad.::) I heard about Doc. Wolff on this site and talk to my doctor. She was glad that I had finally decided to go for it. I had been talking about it for over a year. And now I want it NOW But thats me. when I finally decide something. Anyhoo, I heard that Dr.Wolff was great. And that Maine Med. was 4 stars of the hospitals that do the LAPBand in the US. Hope to hear from you soon! Sallie

YAY!! Finally got my date! Wednesday March 19! It's been a long haul, I am sooo ready for this!:thumbup: Just wanted to share:)

~Kerri

Yeh kerri!! I've been under the weather, so I'm sorry It's been so long since I've posted. 19 days and counting- how exciting! I am so happy for you! Keep up the good work. This is one of those times it's great to be a "loser!" Take care, I'll post more often.

Sarah

Hey Sarah! Glad to hear from you again! How is everything going for you? You're psych eval is coming right up, right? Maybe the 15? Am I even close?? lol.. I remember it being near St.Patricks day.. Anyhoo, I hope things are moving right along for you, and you are feeling better soon:) Take care, and thanks for sharing my excitement!

Hi Kerri! I'm jealous. I wish I were where you are right now! Yes, you were just about right on with my appts- 3/10 psyc eval and 3/14 2nd nutrish appt with Jackie. I'm hoping my psyc report will be in by my 3/14 appt so I can get ins approval rolling. I'v e heard good and bad things about ins approval. Take the 2 guys in the support group earlier in the month- they've been trying for over a year for approval, to find out they may need 5 years of documented wt loss by their dr! If my Ins goes through smoothly, I think I can expect a late April date. In my case, I am down 20 lbs in 2 weeks on my own. I really hope they take the starting wt at my eval appt for determination. If I keep losing at this rate, I may not qualify anymore by my surgery date! The trick is, I can lose all the wt I want quite quicly. The trick is, keeping it off!! That is where the band comes in! - Sorry to ramble on. I hope I can make it to the next meeting! I was at the one we spoke of earlier- I came in late- made it from Damariscotta to Augusta in 32 minutes- usually a 45 minute trip! Talk to you later!

~Sarah

Ahhhh man!! I wish I would have stayed after that meeting! I thought that could have been you, but didn't want to randomly go up to someone and say "Hi, are you Sarah?" lol... Plus I had to get right back to work..

I was really hoping to get out of work last Thursday for group. It was Protein, Protein, protein, and they were going to be sampling Protein drinks.. I still haven't found one I like, and I'm getting down to the wire. I so wish we had a GNC around here.. Unfortunately all there is is Wal Mart.. GAHHH!!!

I can't believe you are down 20lbs! I am so jealous! I've been sticking to the induction phase of Atkins for 2 weeks now, and I am only down 8.5lbs. I really wanted to lose at least 20 before surgery:( Are you following a certain plan?? Whatever you're doing, keep up the good work! It's less you'll have to worry about in the long run:) As for insurance, I've read on this site that they have to go with you're starting weight from first consult.. If there are any issues Lynn the insurance lady knows how to straighten things out:) If you're concerned I would just call the office and ask to talk to her.. She knows her stuff! Good luck!

Kerri

p.s. 17days and counting.. I am sooo psyched!

Hi Kerri! I just got home from the hospital after a 2 day saty with influenza and asthma problems. I'm out of work for 2 weeks..hoarding money as we speak! Great job on the 8.5 lbs! I have done Atkins in the past, and have always been able to drop 1.5-2.5 lbs a day durring induction. I have eggs with cheese and sasuage with 24 oz of h2o for Breakfast. for lunch I'll have 1 cup of lettuce with either egg, chicken, or tuna salad on it (real mayo, not diet or light!) with cheese, a hard boiled egg, and oil and viegar dressing. for dinner, I'll cook a chicken breast wraped in cheese and bacon, or a bun less cheeseburger with sour cream and bacon, rather than the ketchup. I know they say low carb, <20g a day, but ususlly I have 5-8 carbs a day. For a snack I will have string cheese or a sugar free fat free Jello cup. You can even cheat and put real whipping cream with a little splenda in it to make whipped cream with your electric beater- the aresol caned stuff only has 3 carbs / serving, so i't worth the carbs for the conveinince! I was thinking that I lost a lot of wt quickly, but in the hospital, I was so dehydrated, they gave me 6 bags of fluids over 24 hrs. I feel like a blimp- that will all come off in a day or 2 with induction. I need to drink more Water though- sorry to babble! I hope your waiting days arent too bad for you!

Protien - Special K makes protien water- tropical splash, premade in a water bottle, at Walmart. 10g protien per 12oz bottle- it tastes like gatorade, no aftertaste or chalky taste! it's worth drinking 2 of thoes to 1 powder protien drink- I''ll mention it to jackie next week to see if that will surfice, and I'll let you know! Good luck and have a great week!

sarah

Oh my Sarah, that is terrible! I am sorry:( No fun! Hope you are feeling better!

Thanks for the tips.. The Jello with whipped cream sounds yummy!! I'll have to remember that for week1 post op!:rolleyes2: The burger and chicken sound delish too! With induction I usually drop tons of weight, but this time it's just not happening. I am really starting to "grieve" the foods I won't be able to have after surgery.. I really just want to have them just one more time, but also don't want to throw my loss out the window! GAHHHHHHH!! It's never ending! lol.. I went out to eat last Friday and got pizza, and I am going out this Friday to get something else "naughty" to say my goodbyes lol... I am sure this is hindering my weight loss to some extent, but I feel it's better than just pigging out for 2 weeks on all the stuff I won't be able to have:)

I asked Krista about the sp. k Water, and she said it was ok, just not alot of Protein, but then we didn't have the nutrition facts in front of us... She thought it was only 3-5g per bottle... It would be great to get Water and Protein taken care of in one drink!

Well, I am on a mission to get ready for work.. lol.. Take care, rest lots and feel better soon!!

~Kerri

p.s. Just curious if you got a flu shot this year? A 43 y.o. man just died in Farmington from Influenza and supposedly got a flu shot this year? I have been hearing a lot lately about different strands or strains (lol I don't know which it is).. I got mine, and it surely makes me nervous?!

Ok, I am really done rambling.. lol.

Hi all,

I am from Standish, Maine and had my surgery in Augusta by Dr Aslam a few years ago... he retired shortly after my surgery leaving me with no doc... then about a year ago I go in to Dr Cobean/Wolfe office in Portland and they have been good to me.. .I have been a slow loser and often wonder why I have this band in me, I would have been happier to have more weight loss... I still have alot to lose. I wish everyone luck with their surgery and encourage the support groups... I think with more support from my original doc I might have been more successful.

Hi formykids:)

Sorry about your doc leaving you in the cold.. That must've been so frustrating! I am glad for you that you were able to find help with the Portland folks.. Sounds like you're getting back on track:) Best of luck to you, and keep in touch.