Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Most people who are diabetic are able to get off all medications.

I am positive this surgery was the best thing in the world for me. If you are anything like me, you have lost weight and gained it all back a few times. Complications are rare. I never felt bad about not being able to do it on my own. I tried for years to do it on my own. I was

exercising hard for almost 3 years 5-6 days a week at the gym and not losing weight. I was thrilled when I decided to get the band and wished I had found out about it sooner.

The lap band helps with hunger. That's the whole reason for the band. It sits on the nerve on our stomachs that tells our brain we are full.

You won't be dehydrated. You can drink Water. In fact, we are encouraged to drink as much water as we can.

The reason we are supposed to be on liquids for however your doctor wants ( mine was 4 weeks) is because the stomach moves when it is digesting food. They don't want it moving, while the band is healing on the stomach. It's very important to follow your doctor's post op diet

to avoid complications years down the road. The liquid diet is not for

losing weight. It's so everything can heal inside.

Hi Dan! Being diabetic is not a problem for me. I think you may have answered your own question if its right for you? I have heard many times that you can go off your meds for other co-morbidities once the weight starts coming off. Maybe that could be you. I also live in a rural area I must drive 125 miles to the hospital and support meetings. It is essential that you have a support person to share your journey with. It can be friend, wife, significant other, mom father, brother, pastor or sister. It will give you the mental support necessary to make the changes. the Lapband is not a panacea for obesity, but itis the best tool out there for those of us who do not want to reroute our innards forever.:eek:

Perhaps if you look at the complications from diabetes vs the possible complications of surgery. you know the pros & cons listing trick.

I know if I do not do anything at my weight 272 5'4" i will die and horribly and this is a life long problem for me, so the excess weight is, has & continues to take its toll.:thumbup: Best of luck on your journey and stay in touch.

LoraLei

Hey there Loralei & JJ

Welcome to LBT and the 50+ gang...

As to the pre-op diet - I was lucky only had 7 days of it - but during that 7 days I had to do my colonoscopy so that was one day Clear Liquids and cleansing :eek: and the day before surgery was clear liquids - I was allowed one small meal - meat - salad - oatmeal for bf & Soup or shake for lunch - and oh ya some great Protein Bars for Snacks - so all in all mine wasn't too bad - My doc supplied the shakes, Soups & Protein bars - and I had 4 oz fish & salad for dinner..

Post op I was on full liquids for 10 days then mushies for 10 then soft for 10 and finally regualr - ck out the food thread there are great ideas there.

You will find the longer you are on this site that EVERY Doc is diff in what he tells his patients - some have no pre op some have it for a freakin month - some have liquids for 2 days after surgery and move right to reg food.

1st if all you need to follow your doctors orders - the reason for the liquid is that they stiched your stomach around the band and they don't want that distrubed until it's all healed up - and digesting food make the stomach move so the band can slip and you don't want this.

On full liquids I was allowed sf pudding fudgecicles creamed soups of course Protein Shakes - dannon light & fit yogurt to name a few - I found that potatoes soups were a lifesaver for me - you can find them in by the instant mashed potatoes or soup section. Also homemade broth is so much better than canned or boxed - I found homemade soups the best.

I make what I call cream of pinto bean soup - make a pot of pinto Beans just like you normally would - after they have cooked spoon out the beans and put them in the blender and puree them - then add them back to the broth - wohla cream of pinto bean soup - you can do the same with navy beans or any bean you like - since you are both in the 50+ club I assume you cook (the younger ones now a days don't - they got fat on fast food - where as I got fat on home cooked foods)

The band is a great tool - but that's all it is - it does require will power - the will power to be committed to making a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating habits -(low fat - sugar free - low carb) and adding some kind of exercise into your life (phyl who post here - has bad knees - she does Water arobics)

Me personally I follow a Weight Watcher type eating plan as I feel its the most balanced - you budget your calories/points for the foods you want to eat. I could never be an Atkins girl - I have to have some carbs.

I keep a food diary - it is statistically proven that people who do - do better in their weight lost - it's real easy to forget this bite of this or that... I count calories & protein grams - I go to the gym 4 days a week

I eat healthy 98% of the time and allow 2% of my eating for treats - not cheat - I am not dieting - I am just eating healthy - I won't always keep my food diary - once I get to goal - I will quit -but the second I gain 5 lbs - I will start logging my food again - Once I get to goal - I will never and yes I mean never allow more than a 5 lbs weight gain - I will never again say oh it's just 5 lbs - then next month - oh its just another 5 lbs no biggie - well before you know it - you are 250 again:eek:

Ok - I guess i have lectured enough :thumbup: don't mean to sound preachy - but I LOVE MY BAND - I LOVE ME FOR DOING THE WORK - I FEEL 10 YRS YOUNGER..

I was banded on March 21 by Dr. Krahn at Saint Bernardine Medical Center in San Bernardino , California and live in Moreno Valley . I really enjoy reading the 50's comments. Moreno Valley is 40 miles east of Palm Springs.:thumbup:

Private Dancer 7

Hey, you're close to Indio Girl!

Yep PrivateDancer - we are almost neighbors :scared2: !!!

Welcome to LBT - it's a great support site.. I am here every day - 2 -3 -4 times a day..

Janet thanks for the information about the calorie amounts, maybe after I get to eat a more varied menu my calorie content will rise. I agree with you and feel that I lose better with at least 1000 calories but right now with trying to get all my liquids in and waiting 30 minutes before eating and 1 hour after eating to get my liquids in, that doesn't give me a whole lot of time to eat, which is a good thing, but even more so the liquids also keep me somewhat satisifed. I also want to get volume for my calorie content but find that kind of hard to do seeing that I am only supposed to consume 2-4 oz at any one setting right now. Maybe that will change when my menu changes again in a couple of weeks.

Lynn, I guess I'm lucky that I got to start mushies on Day 8 post op and I just want to tell you that I doubt that you will have any problems with the mushy stage. So far everything I've eaten has gone down really easy with no problems. Just remember to chew, chew, chew and think about every bite you put into your mouth. I was a little apprehensive the first day but now on Day 12, same as you, I feel like an old pro already at chewing, lol. I'm even able to make my 2-4 oz last at least 20 minutes which is a good thing to help keep me satisifed. Since you and I had our surgery on the same day, maybe we can become support buddies with each other and compare notes on what we're getting to eat and such, I would love to have a support buddy.

Janet.....you always have the best info and tips, i look forward to reading them every day.

Thanks - that's cuz I am an expert at dieting :sad: I am just parroting all that I have ever learned for all those lose weight programs I have been on the ones that I just never practied before = I think it took 50+ yrs and lapband to flip on the light switch.

As I always say I am just a fat chick talking to other fat chicks and we all can relate :scared2:

Teri,

being support buddies would be great.

i am on AOL as lynnt1215.

I still have another week before going back to work.. then depending on what DR says at posp-op apt I will go back to work 4/7 or try to get the DR to push it to 4/14. I have so much sick time saved up at work I was unable to acrew any more. So i am not upset to use it!!!!!

A few of 'ol gals know each other here quite well, as we've been banded since July07.

But I re-iterate... follow your Surgeon's directions when it comes to re-introducing Mushy & Solid foods... Don't rush the process... Those recommendations are there for GOOD reason. You arn't the only bandster that's come along that wants to 'bend' the rules LOL...

Avoid complications and possible re-surgeries...

I did everything post op just like I was told and I still ended up with complications. I just had my tubing and PORT replaced Friday past. During a fill the nurse poked a couple of holes in my tubing therefore I've had a slow leak for the last several months.... and not great restriction.

All fixed now and just need to get =re=inflated so to speak.

Good luck everyone

Candice

I don't really have a problem with wanting to eat once I am full. I seem to want to eat as little as possible. I really hate that feeling of being too full. I haven't pbed in a really long time and I hardly ever get food stuck anymore. It's really nice. I have finally learned to chew enough, and eat slow. It took me long enough!

Carol, it's good to see you. It won't be long now and I will see you in person again!

Thank you Denise. I look forward to seeing you again. Hope your Daughter is feeling well. Won't be long now, Grandma Denise!

I've done much better this weekend; slowing down, chewing well and stopping when full. Thanks to others that responded in my time of need. Sure nice to have the support here. I started a few weeks preop, using a smaller plate & utensils. But about a month ago I bought two bowls that I just love. I really like the southwest design pottery & found "sushi" bowls in a design I love (I don't use them for sushi LOL) and they hold 1 cup. So I don't have to measure and have my portion right everytime & also feel spoiled with my special bowl.

Welcome to the new 50's! I noticed several new posts. This is a great group of banders, you'll enjoy being here.

Carol:biggrin:

Edited by luvsrocks
clarification

Lynn, I am currently scheduled to go back to work this Tuesday, however, when I went for my post op appt last week, the doctor said that I could stay off another week and return Monday, April 7. I have his ok, but now I'm waiting for the disability group at work to approve the extended time, otherwise I'll be returing to work Tuesday. I've been really tired and the doctor told me once I started getting some more Protein in the form of "real food" in me that should help, well since I've been on the first stage of mushies since Wednesday, I haven't improved much in the way of being tired, so hopefully, I'll be approved for another week off. It's kind of hard to take a nap at work, lol. Look forward to being support buddies.

I did everything post op just like I was told and I still ended up with complications. I just had my tubing and PORT replaced Friday past. During a fill the nurse poked a couple of holes in my tubing therefore I've had a slow leak for the last several months.... and not great restriction.

All fixed now and just need to get =re=inflated so to speak.

Good luck everyone

Candice

Do you have to pay for having the tubing and port replaced? That would not be fair!

I thought I had a leak once when I went in for a fill. I ended up with less restriction than I had to begin with. I think he missed the mark or something though, because I don't have a leak. I have had great restriction since my last fill in Dec.

Do you have to pay for having the tubing and port replaced? That would not be fair!

I thought I had a leak once when I went in for a fill. I ended up with less restriction than I had to begin with. I think he missed the mark or something though, because I don't have a leak. I have had great restriction since my last fill in Dec.

Denise

No she didn't have to pay - the doc took care of it all ...

2 more weeks til you are a grandma - how's the daughter - ready for the baby to come - I was 130 when I got pg and 165 when I delivered (omw the doc was mad at me for all the weight I gained)

I know you will be letting us know when the day comes :cursing: